mtbr member

Epiphany vs Yeti 575

Does anyone have any first-hand experience riding both the Yeti 575 and the Epiphany? I'm looking to replace my 575 and I'm curious if anyone can compare the 2 bikes.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

GoCyco
    Nov 2005

hmmm

My riding bud got an Epiphany in the spring and then built up a 575 about 2 months ago. He likes to have 2 bikes around (Last year it was a Blur and a Moment).
    Anyway, he now will not ride the Epi anymore. He loves the 575.
    Of course some components are different, like fork and wheels, and we all know that can influence ride feel a great deal.

I have an epi and I hopped on a 575 for a quick spin and I liked it as well. Can't really comment because the 575 wasn't dialing in for me.

Time is not a road.
    Wow...you got a lot more response out this on the Ventana boards. It's probably because no one has ridden both and didn't see fit to comment as that's what you're looking for.

I've briefly ridden around on both bikes, nothing too serious. I found the 575 to have a short cockpit, very upright and the set up was a bit underbuilt, IMO (a six inch bike needs a six inch fork).

The Epiphany was markedly light and more stretched out than I'm used to on the Moment. It felt stable and light at the same time, quite similar to a Titus Switchblade I demoed a while back. There are lots of Epi riders on the boards lately who could probably give you a better idea of how that bike rides.

I know your'e looking at an El Ciclon and I have to say, while I've not ridden one, I did see one being built up at a local bike shop and it's a very appealing looking bike, asthetically speaking (all Ventanas are, really). It seems you're looking for a racy 5" bike. I think the Epiphany fits that bill a tad better because of its weight and geometry. Many people are running the bike with 120-130mm, many on the short end. Personally, I'd run 140mm and a thru axle, but that's why I ride the Moment. Talking with some Ells reps this summer, they noted that the geo sweet spot on the Epi was about 120. So this bike was designed, IMO, with the pedigree of the Truth in mind moreso than the Moment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    It seems you're looking for a racy 5" bike.
    Yup, that's pretty much what I'm looking for, but I still want it to be fairly stable on long downhills. Yes, I know I'm asking a lot, but the wife's given the go-ahead for me to buy an new frame, and darn it, I'm gonna find the right one!

The easiest route for me would be to just buy another 575 but size M instead of L. Unfortunately, I've been bitten with the upgradeitis bug, so now I'm looking at all my possibilities. If I was forced to make a decision right now, I'd probably ask for a Ventana El Saltimontes that's build on the X-5 geometry, but I've yet to price that out. If Sherwood considers that semi-custom, then its do-able. If its full custom, it may be a bit too pricey.

Edit: I just got off the phone with Theresa at Ventana, and to build a Salty based on X-5 geometry, it would be considered a level 2 semi-custom build, which is an extra $350 on top of the base frame price. This would still be a little cheaper than a stock Epiphany.
    Last edited by pixelninja; 11-30-2006 at 10:03 AM.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    I now ride a epiphany large with fox talas 07 and i had a Yeti 575 last year with the talas 125
    I like my epi but i loved my 575 specialy going downill
    I think the geometrie of the yeti is just right
    I raced cross country with the 2 bikes and my results were about the same
    If i could sale my epi i would get a new 575

Good luck with your purshase

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

575 v epi

I've demoed both bikes on hard mountain terrain in colorado as I am trying to decide on a bike. The EPI costs about $1000 more for a similarly equiped bike. It also has a great anodized paint job. I found that it is set up more as an xc feel ride but is markedly smoother on the little washboards. It also was pretty responsive.

However, I enjoyed the 575 more. It is a little heavier but you can put a light set of wheels to help out. Due to the head angle, I found it climbed a little better up hills and I was very confident on the downhills. On the EPI, I had to sit back like an xc bike for the down hills.

I road the epi thinking, "this is the bike I'm going to buy but just was not that impressed. It was not worth the extra money. If your going to buy an xc bike, buy the truth or racer x (titus) but for the more burely stuff, you can't beat the price/ package of the yeti.

I've also been to the yeti factory in Golden, Colorado and think its a pretty great company and they have a nice warranty on their frame (I think 3 or 5 years).

Good luck.

I'm going to be buying the yeti 575 in early 07.

mtbr member
    Hi

I don't qualify to answer your apples and oranges comparison because I'm obviously biased towards an Ellsworth. The funny thing about Yeti owners seems to be their persistance with the brand. I also noticed that when Yeti owners get together they openly skite how pimp they think their bikes are. The fact they are on their second or third one doesn't tell you anything? The fact they look Ghey should not have any influence on your decision because industry fools get paid to say nice things about them. Proberly partially warrented they can perform well in the right hands. In the end Quality far out weights the out of pocket expense, so Ellsworth anyday for me. I pantsed a few of my yeti rivals who had my number early last season. Hopefully that will shut them up about their stupid bike.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy L
    Hi

I don't qualify to answer your apples and oranges comparison because I'm obviously biased towards an Ellsworth. The funny thing about Yeti owners seems to be their persistance with the brand. I also noticed that when Yeti owners get together they openly skite how pimp they think their bikes are. The fact they are on their second or third one doesn't tell you anything? The fact they look Ghey should not have any influence on your decision because industry fools get paid to say nice things about them. Proberly partially warrented they can perform well in the right hands. In the end Quality far out weights the out of pocket expense, so Ellsworth anyday for me. I pantsed a few of my yeti rivals who had my number early last season. Hopefully that will shut them up about their stupid bike.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Hi

Uh, yeah, it would imply that they find the bikes good enough to stick with?

mtbr member
    Hi

Gee, your informative and well-written post has me convinced. My quest is over. Ellsworth all the way, I guess.

mtbr member
    As I orginally posted I'm not really qualified to comment maybe I was a little counter productive by taking a dig at the sillyness IMO of what's being compared even if it's a valid question.
    I would like to add that in Australia Yeti bikes have an excellent reputation, a strong following and are a very popular bike- for good reason. My observations of Yeti riders in their clicky little groups is proberly no different to any type of club or gang.

It's not my job to convince or influence you what push bike you should get mainly because a) i don't care b) I don't give a hoot. This is an Ellsworth board which despite being a public forum and anything within reason can be posted, I would like to see it remain as a resource for existing and prospective Ellsworth riders.

Ride and smile

BTW sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
    Last edited by jimmy L; 12-04-2006 at 05:06 PM.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    If you'd bothered to understand the original post, you'd notice that Pixel ninja is a prospective Ellsworth owner. He was asking for opinions on the Epi, not immature conjecture on the sexuality of Yeti riders.
    Last edited by womble; 12-04-2006 at 05:51 PM.

mtbr member

Have you thought about....

Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja
    Does anyone have any first-hand experience riding both the Yeti 575 and the Epiphany? I'm looking to replace my 575 and I'm curious if anyone can compare the 2 bikes.
    New turner spot 5.5?

New Turner RFX? They are going for hundred less that the 575 and the epiphany

But if you insist between the 575 or the Epiphany then I will go for the 575. I did change my 575 for a Turner spot and I am happy with the change. The 575 is a superb descender. The ventana is another great option, even the Rocky Mountain Slayer.
    Intense 6.6 too maybe????
    The turners sure are schweet!!
    Sit and spin my ass...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zion Rasta
    New turner spot 5.5?

New Turner RFX? They are going for hundred less that the 575 and the epiphany

But if you insist between the 575 or the Epiphany then I will go for the 575. I did change my 575 for a Turner spot and I am happy with the change. The 575 is a superb descender. The ventana is another great option, even the Rocky Mountain Slayer.
    Intense 6.6 too maybe????
    The turners sure are schweet!!
    What about your Spot do you like better?

If I HAD to pick a frame right now, it would be the Ventana El Ciclon, but I'm still researching all my options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    If you'd bothered to understand the original post, you'd notice that Pixel ninja is a prospective Ellsworth owner. He was asking for opinions on the Epi, not immature conjecture on the sexuality of Yeti riders.
    I'm also a past Ellsworth owner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    Really, you must be joking nothing immature or sexual about on trail observations. However it was slightly off the topic for that proberly should have zipped it. Anyhow it gets a bit boring without stiring the pot occassionally, you sensitive new age guys can go back to your lattes now.

mtbr member

The ventana ciclon is a great bike but

Quote Originally Posted by pixelninja
    What about your Spot do you like better?

If I HAD to pick a frame right now, it would be the Ventana El Ciclon, but I'm still researching all my options.
    The spot is "spot" on. The fit, the stability, the snappynes, the way it rides its just superb. It gives you more confidence that the yeti. The yeti is a good tech climber but it is slower than the spot if that matters to you.

Also, Dave Turner's customer service is the best in the business and you can trade in your bike any time no matter how old or beat up for $600 credit at Turner.

Now that the spot is 5.5 and you can run a Pike or a new fox 140mm, that is the ticket in my opinion. The Ellsworths look nice but sound a bit overpriced. The Turners are solid and if you get one then you can try the cool aid..... My Turner is the only head "Turner" bike I've had.
    Sit and spin my ass...

Silver bullet
    Deciding on which bike to buy is a tough decision. Coming to this forum would probably make it more difficult with all of the opinions. The Epi was bashed pretty hard on the Ventana board by what looked to be a Ventana dealer. I come to these boards to get and unbiased opinion and I don't think any dealer of another product can give an unbiased opinion. But we all are entitled to our opinions.

Back to the subject. If quality is an issue here's some food for thought. Ellsworth just started their own manufacturing facility in 2006 with quality being one of the factors for doing that. You probably already know this but they realized that quality was an issue and dealt with it. Lets see what happens.
    I personally am very pleased with my Moment and Truth and am considering an Epi but am also considering an Evolve...if I could only get to demo one. With the performance and service I've gotten from Ells I'd go back. Yep, I'm just a biased Ells owner!!