Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Epiphany SST1 conversion from Trail to XC, possible?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Pedro 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm pretty much a newbie in MTB.
Therefore any advice is most welcome.

Well, a little about me..
I'm a road cyclist for the past 20yrs, therefore I kinda prefer an XC setup rather than trail (with lots of slack).
I'm on the Epiphany SST1, with Lefty.

Currently in Tokyo and riding trails is definitely out of the question.
Contemplating to convert the Epi to XC setup, with a much lower front end.
Most of my ride will be on a mix of tarmac/loose gravel hence I don't think I'll be needing the long travel at this moment.

As I understand that the Epi is not suited for anything lower than 130mm travel.
Point is, I can't anticipate the ride/handling of the bike if I were to reduce the front travel to 100mm.
Can anyone here tell me what is the adverse effect of reducing the travel to 100mm or even lower?
Will the bike be more prone to endo?

See less See more
#2 ·
I got this from Tony E for you

Each 20mm equals about 1 degree of head tube geometry. And about 10mm of bb height change.

A 100 mm fork will make the epiphany feel more like a Truth. About a 70degree head angle.

Steeper geometry will always make the bike more "endo" sensitive, but the terrain your contemplating should not pose much of an "endo" risk.

Techsupport@ellsworthbikes.com

Hope that helps , if you have any other questions please use the e-mail address above , and they will answer them for you .

Phillip

#3 ·
Hi Philip,

Many thanks for the reply, and mostly for the initiative to refer this question of mine to Tony E.
Highly appreciated!

Was considering the Ellsworth Truth prior to the Epiphany, and my preference was to have something between 15in to 16in of seat tube. The Truth in XS fits the bill, however it looks a little odd in XS. Hence the decision on the Epiphany in size S, with a 15.5 in seat tube.
The headtube angle on the Truth is a 71 vs 70 on the Epiphany, which is about right when comparing a 130mm fork vs 100mm.

Looks like I will be the first to convert an Epiphany to an XC :cool:

Cheers!

#4 ·
Hi Philip,

Many thanks for the reply, and mostly for the initiative to refer this question of mine to Tony E.
Highly appreciated!
Was considering the Ellsworth Truth prior to the Epiphany, and my preference was to have something between 15in to 16in of seat tube. The Truth in XS fits the bill, however it looks a little odd in XS. Hence the decision on the Epiphany in size S, with a 15.5 in seat tube.
The headtube angle on the Truth is a 71 vs 70 on the Epiphany, which is about right when comparing a 130mm fork vs 100mm.

Looks like I will be the first to convert an Epiphany to an XC :cool:

Cheers!
I am building my Epiphany frame, and like you, have opted for a more xc build, opting for a 120mm fork. Longer travel has always suited me better, limited by weight and geometry. I plan to race this bike, master 40 category.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.