mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Epiphany sst.2 BB Height

Any idea why the have changed Epiphany sst.2 BB Height to 12.3 inches ? ( was 13.5 )
    While Moment BB Height is 13.8 and Truth BB is 13.3 ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Epiphany sst.2 BB Height

I asked Ellsworth the same question and was told by one of their sales guys that the website was incorrect. He checked with the guy who measured the frames. This was in December and I don't know why they have not corrected it. I was told it is actually 13.5 inches, which is comparable to most other 140 mm bikes. I should have my new Epi in a week or so, and will report back. The BB height is important to me, as I can't stand smacking pedals on roots and rocks. If I am not mistaken the Epi sst.1 BB height was 13.7, so they only dropped it a little.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    look at the static fork length listed. Thats the height of a 100mm fork. a 140mm fork is going to be around 530 axle crown or about 545 static fork length. With that fork in place the angles will be just less than 2 degrees slacker and the bb 1 1/2 inches taller. So 13.5 would be pretty spot on.

If you look at the moment, which is listed with a 560 mm static fork length, the angles listed are 68 degrees and bb 13.8. The shop I deal with measured the head angle as 67.8.with a fox 36, so this all makes sense.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Im resurrecting this thread because I am considering a new Epiphany.

I am ready to pull the trigger, but this bb spec concerns me!

I spoke to Ellsworth today (9-2-11) and the sales guy i spoke to said that the 12.3 number is correct. But I didn't get a real feeling of confidence in his answer. Still, he claimed it was in line with all other 5.5" travel bikes! Hmm...try as i might, I cannot find a single 5.5" travel bike with a BB height under 13 inches! And what's more, I cannot find any discussions, save for this one, where the lower BB of the sst.2 Epiphany is even mentioned. I find it hard to believe that they lowered the BB of a multi-award winning bike by over an inch, and this is the only place the subject ever came up! That makes me think that the published spec is a mistake. Nsync's answer seems logical... I guess i was hoping someone could confirm it for me!

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have a rental sst.2 Epiphany in Moab at the moment and it is right at 13.5" with Continental Trail King 2.2 tires. I hate bikes with pedal strike issues and I have not had any while in Moab. I had a Ibis Mojo I sold just because of pedal strike and chain suck issues! The Epiphany is super plush and is one of the best technical climbing bikes I have ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Raja View Post
    I have a rental sst.2 Epiphany in Moab at the moment and it is right at 13.5" with Continental Trail King 2.2 tires. I hate bikes with pedal strike issues and I have not had any while in Moab. I had a Ibis Mojo I sold just because of pedal strike and chain suck issues! The Epiphany is super plush and is one of the best technical climbing bikes I have ever ridden.
    Hey, Raja, thanks for the reply! That's right in line with what I wanted\expected to here!

ACL3

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Theories are all very well but a tape measure is better,

My epi sst2 has 150mm Revelations and a cane creek angleset set 1 degree slack, (67.5 degree head angle measured with my phone app)

The BB is almost exactly 13.5 inches.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    sorry to hijack this thread, does anyone kow what the general setting for the rear shock and the front fox talas 140mm.... I just got an epiphany SST.2 XTR and am loving it now. but need to find a good setup for the bike..
    am about 5 10 and 170 lbs

cheers
    Last edited by Jack Jack; 09-10-2011 at 02:40 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk View Post
    Theories are all very well but a tape measure is better,

My epi sst2 has 150mm Revelations and a cane creek angleset set 1 degree slack, (67.5 degree head angle measured with my phone app)

The BB is almost exactly 13.5 inches.
    Do you got a picture of your Epiphany SST.2? I am specially keen to see one with an angleset. Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Epi sst.2 BB Height and bonus pic

Just to confirm, the Epi sst.2 BB Height is 13.4 inches with a 140 Fox Talas and 2.3 SB 8's (not shown in the pic).
    Here's a pic of mine. No angleset however, just the stock Loaded headset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Epiphany sst.2 BB Height-epi-sst2-rfg.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jack View Post
    sorry to hijack this thread, does anyone kow what the general setting for the rear shock and the front fox talas 140mm.... I just got an epiphany SST.2 XTR and am loving it now. but need to find a good setup for the bike..
    am about 5 10 and 170 lbs

cheers
    Match your weight to pressure. Ie 150lb 150 psi in te rear shock. However that's an estimate and you should really look at sag not recommendations for pressure. 20% sag seems to be about right.