mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Epiphany sizing question

Hi all. First post here. I found these boards searching for good trails and I have done nothing but soak up all of the information I can here. Here is my info:

I am going to be getting a new Epiphany. I am 5'11", 175 lbs without gear, and aspire to be a better rider. I am still learning and loving every minute of it. I now have a Trek hard tail and need something to smooth out the ride in order to go eaiser on my back. I mostly ride single trac with lot's of roots and rocks, I live in Virginia. My question is:

Should I be getting a 17" or a 19" frame?

I appreciate all of your help.

John

MTB SOCAL
    I'm 5'10" with a 31.5 inch inseam. I'm riding a medium Epi with a straight seatpost and a 100 mm stem w/ low-riser bar. It fits me very well. My Thomson Masterpiece seatpost, however, is almost maxed (see pic). If you have longer legs, you may want to invest in a 400mm post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Would a medium be a 17" frame? I see frame sizes as 15", 17", and 19". Please pardon my ignorance.

John

MTB SOCAL
    Ellsworth bikes are usually sized S, M, and L. They tend to have shorter seat-tubes (sloping top tube) than comparable sized bikes from other makers - so more seatpost will be exposed and improving standover clearance. I think the medium is closer to what you are calling a 17". A better way to measure would probably be by the top tube length. The medium still has a longish top tube, so you should be okay on a med. Check out Ells website: http://ellsworthbikes.com/BIKE-ellsworth-epiphany.php for more specifics. Good luck.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thanks, I just figured it all out.

mtbr member

Make sure you try Large frame

Im 5'10 31 inseam and ride large Epiphany- medium would be way too cramped for me-Large is perfect! I ride Large frame in Cannondale and Specialized as well.

MTB SOCAL

Long arms?

Dude, you must have some long arms! Cannondales and Specialized both tend to run small. So, many of my friends do ride Large bikes from Cannondale and Specialized. But, Ellsworth tends to have long top tubes. The Ells site lists the medium Epi at 24.15" effective top tube and the large at 25.5". I'm running my medium Epi with a 100mm stem and it feels great. But, different people have different body types and preferences. It definitely doesn't hurt to try both a Med and a Large.
    Kokopelli Racing

mtbr member

Maybe- they probably are a little long

They may be little long (my arms) I have noticed many guys my height and build do ride mediums. The Large Epiphany feels smaller to me than my other bikes- I feel just right in it almost as if was custom fit for me- Damn I love that bike.

mtbr member
    Take the time to go through the Fit Calculator from Competitive Cyclist. Here is the website: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO

It doesn't take long and it spits out some good numbers. I had to order my bike online and I wanted to be as sure as possible before I ordered that I was getting the right size. It's no substitute for a test ride but it's better than nothing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Well I'm about 179 cm and did not follow the advice of this excellent community but of my dealer and got a L.

I wish I could swap it for an M!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thank you for all of your help. I was all set to get the Epiphany and I just happened to Demo an Ibis Mojo at my LBS the other day. Let's just say that I am now the proud owner of a L Eddy Orange Ibis Mojo. The ride absolutely floored me.

John