Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Epiphany RP23 PSI

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  thumbies 
#1 ·
I was wondering what PSI Epiphany owners were running relative to body weight,
what works the best to get an efficient but bump compliant ride.

#2 ·
No one is jumping on this and though I don't ride an Epiphany, I do have the RP23 - I run about 180psi for a riding weight of 195lbs. This gives me full travel and about 25% sag or so. I could probably bump it up a tad, but it doesn't bottom out and is nice and supple on the small stuff.

#3 ·
I am 155 readty to ride and after many fine adjustments, I have been running 127 pounds when I remove the pump. This means I am closer to 125 of actual pounds in the shock when I ride. I have the PP set at 2 and seldome turn the PP off. If I know that I will be with a fast (race) group, I will set the PP to 3 and turn it on and off as the trail demands.
Hope this helps.

BTW
My brother is now riding my Epi and he is comming off a HT and he likes 145/150 in the shock with his current weight of 170ish

#4 ·
Am I correct in assuming that the RP23 is not custom valved for the Epiphany, as the
float that comes stock on the bike is. Does anyone know what the stock floats
compression is set to ? The fact that you guys seem to be running less PSI than
your body weight leads me to think that the Epiphany doesnt need heavy compression
damping to be reasonably efficient.

My question evolved from someones assertion on another forum that ICT rides like
a faux bar monopivot. The person had posted that he had ridden a coupler earlier versions of the Truth, with no platform
shock, and claims that it rode exacly like a faux-bar monopivot, ie, Kona/Trek and bobbed
just the same. My personal feeling is chainstay location of the pivot on the E's is going to
make the suspension react differently to things like bumps, pedaling input than the seatstay location on the faux-bars, but this person seemed pretty adamant that this was
the case, so I'm trying to investigate to see how true this could be.

#5 ·
Epiphany shock pressure....

I am one of the smaller group of Epi owners with the Rockshox MC 3.3.
I weigh 150 lbs, but with winter riding gear that goes up to about 175...its cold here in Canada.

In the summer i was riding with a shock pressure of 70 to 73 psi. However the snow cover virtually erases any large bumps....all you are dealing with are the high frequench chatter of sunken footprint marks in the trail....ie. virtually no chance of bottoming but i want it very plush so i have set the shock at 65 psi which is about 25% sag.

I know that this doesnt help much for the RP3 (2/3) owners, but i am still blown away by the difference in running pressures betweent he 2 shock setups. I can only guess the the MC 3.3 has a much higher volume air can. Regardless, i love the feel of the shock and i rarely engage the Motion control (ie. platform damping) unless i am rally motoring over smooth, rolling terrain where standing climbing is advantagous.

thumb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.