Invcrash

Epiphany or Moment

I am currently stationed in S Korea and ride a Cannondale Jekyl love the bike but its on its last legs, I will be coming back to the US some time soon and have heard great things about the Ellsworth line of bikes but unsure of which one to get.
    I like riding in 24hrs races not the best at climding but love the down hills. I am 5'10 and about 210lbs, can anyone give me some tips on which bike.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've never ridden a moment although I was tempted by one - I went for an Epi in the end because it just suites my style of riding - a Moment would have been too much bike for me and I would have only put the same 140 mm fork on it thats on my Epi...

An Epi will ride very differently to a jekyl though which are single pivot aren't they ?

All I can say is that I love my Epi but if you like getting lots of air and are quite an aggressive rider than the Moment might be a better bet,

Mind you the Epi will make you a better climber

over 50 years of cycling

Good job!

I don't know all that much about the Moment, since I own an Epi, but the Epi seems to be a very popular bike for 24 hour racer types, and its certainly one heck of a good climber.

The only thing is you need to better define is "like to go downhill". The Epi can rail a fast technical downhill like nobodies business, leaving you grinning the whole time, BUT if mean by "downhill" doing a 50mph downhill lift assist course with 20 foot gaps, at 210pounds, you might want to go with the heavier bike, but you will be sacrificing some climbing ability.

It just depends on what you are looking for.

I am 5'11", 195-200pounds and the Epi is plenty robust for me, but I do NOT do "Big Air".

I am EXTREMELY happy with my Epi!
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

Invcrash
    My Cannondale is a single pivot, I do not go big on air, but love to push myself on technical downhills so it sounds like the Epi will do. however I do love the lefty fork so my last question would be, what is a good fork for the Epi.

Time is not a road.
    Someone on the boards converted his Lefty to fit his Id...it looked good, but I think he's since changed it out. There's a pretty good group of forks that would be nice on the Epi, depending on how you want to build it. For a lighter build, I'd go with a Fox with standard dropouts. For something a bit more stout, maybe try a Pike, AM SL or the Lefty.

I think the Moment is probably too much bike for 24 hour racing. I can be built "light", but I think this is a waste of this frame as there are other bikes that do that job better, like the Truth and Epiphany.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm loving the 07 Vanilla on my Epi - suits it perfectly..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Can you describe the types of trails you will be riding, as well as the style of riding you intend on doing? Are you more of a xc, all-mtn, free ride or dwn hill rider?
    ****Just Ride****

Silver bullet
    I have a Truth and a Moment and the difference between the both are substantial. The Truth is just plain easier to ride. I ride everything on the Truth in about 2 gears higher than I do with the Moment. I use the Moment for fun rides and the Truth for race. I haven't ridden an Epi yet but I would say it compares more to the Truth than the Moment. When I race either 24 hr or regular I use the Truth and would only take the Moment as a backup. It takes too much energy to ride fast enough to compete especially for longer races.

Given your weight (please...no offense intended!!) I would say the Epi would be better for you. The Truth frame feels kind of nimble compared to the Moment. The Epi is built to take and do more and is built for XC/AM and the Truth is built mainly for X/C.

Good luck and hats off to our vets where ever they are.

Members who have read this thread: 0