Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Epiphany Love

mtbr member

Epiphany Love

Well I had recently been riding my Moto and Stumpy and had set my Epiphany to the side for a little rest and a tune up. My Mavics were creaking and making an awful noise. After a hub rebuild it turns out the creaking was solved by a little tri-flow around the spokes/nipples at the tire and hub- all noises gone! Took her out for a little spin today and WOW man what an awesome bike. Had her set up perfectly and all I can say is incredible, flowing, fast nirvana!!! I have never surfed but am an old skateboarder fom way back and all I can say is damn this bike just flowed like I was floating on a continual wave! I hope I am around to ride this bike a long, long time. Photo is from a local Gwinnett County, Georgia park with about 15 miles of singletrack. Bamboo made it feal exotic. Sunny, breezy and 77 degrees. Swweeet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

JDOM for life
    i am inlove with my epi as well! i have been riding my rig for 1 1/2 years already and after every ride, it always makes me smile. it is an absolute dream to ride on. steering is spot on and the bike absorbs bumps extremely well. I have nothing but praises for this bike. i'll never let go of my epi

Those who skibike, know..
    Very nice... looks hidden.... like a chameleon... or a predator in the jungle...
    Its not the brand of the wand that matters, but the skill of the magician. (Make no mistake tho, your brand does suck butt.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wick
    My Mavics were creaking and making an awful noise. After a hub rebuild it turns out the creaking was solved by a little tri-flow around the spokes/nipples at the tire and hub- all noises gone!
    What kind of wheels are you running. I have a set of Mavic Crossmax XL (tubeless with Aluminum spokes) on my Epi. I also recentaly had some pretty loud creaking, which also turned out to be from the spoke-nipple/rim interface. And i also applied a little tri-flo to each nipple. The creaking went away fro the first couple rides, but now it is coming back. Very annoying....

mtbr member

So far So good

Thumbies-I have CrossMax SLR on the Epi- the creaking is bad annoying but so far has not returned. I found many threads on this issue in the Wheels section under Mavic creak/noise. The amazing thing is I have had a pair of CrossMax Sl's for 2 +++ years never a service and never a noise. Hope you can get yours fixed. Check your spoke tension perhaps. Also put some triflow where the spokes crossed one another on my bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wick
    Thumbies-I have CrossMax SLR on the Epi- the creaking is bad annoying but so far has not returned. I found many threads on this issue in the Wheels section under Mavic creak/noise. The amazing thing is I have had a pair of CrossMax Sl's for 2 +++ years never a service and never a noise. Hope you can get yours fixed. Check your spoke tension perhaps. Also put some triflow where the spokes crossed one another on my bike.
    Thanks, i will check out the posts on the wheels forum. The only place my spokes touch where they cross is very near the hub on the cassette side of the back wheel, where the creaking appears to be in most spokes (not just drive side) and at the rim.

~~~
    Sweet! Don't see too many of the green frames. I like it!

That feeling you descibed is the best feeling in the world. One ride like that easily makes up for all the off days you ever have on a bike.

As for the wheel creaking, if TriFlow tends to dry out more quickly, try using something like Phil's Tenacious Oil.

mtbr member

Thanks Tburger

Quote Originally Posted by tburger
    Sweet! Don't see too many of the green frames. I like it!

That feeling you descibed is the best feeling in the world. One ride like that easily makes up for all the off days you ever have on a bike.

As for the wheel creaking, if TriFlow tends to dry out more quickly, try using something like Phil's Tenacious Oil.

You are absolutely right. It makes up for a lot of stuff in our lives - I am grateful for the experience-you obviously and most if not all mt bikers understand

Up & Down

Coil?

Anyone ever run the Epi with a coil shock?
    I'm curious on how it changes the suspension feel versus an air shock.

Thanks.
    Round & Round.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Love that green. Here's mine. Finally built up how I want it (With the exception of pedals, front derailuer, tires)

Fork: Fox 32 TALAS RLC

Rear Shock: Fox Float R

Brakes: Avid Juicy Carbon

Cranks: Shimano XTR 175 mm

Front Derailleur: SRAM X9 (Going to be XTR)

Rear Derailleur: X0

Chain: SRAM w/ PowerLink

Pedals: Time ATAC (Going to be ATAC Ti Carbon)

Stem: Thomson 90/10

Handlebar: Easton Monkey Lite Low Rise

Seatpost: Turbo Gravity Dropper (4 Inch)

Saddle: Specialized Phenom 140 w/ Ti Rail

Bottom Bracket: XTR Integrated

Cassette: Red SRAM

Headset: Chris King

Grips: OURY Lockons

Front Tire: Maxxis Ardent 2.25

Front Rim: Mavic 819

Front Hub/Skewer: Salsa Skewer, Chris King Pewter Hub laced with Ti Spokes Black Nipples. 7 Inch Dirty Dog Dragon Rotor

Rear Tire: Maxxis Ignitor 2.35

Rear Rim: Mavic 819

Rear Hub/Skewer: Salsa Skewer, Chris King Pewter Hub laced with Ti Spokes Black Nipples. 7 Inch Dirty Dog Dragon Rotor

mtbr member

Lookin Good

Very Nice Chris

mtbr member
    Wick, you must be the only person to own an Epiphany, an Exo-grid Motolite and a S-Works FSR at the same time!

Why so many bikes in the same range? What do you think of them (just positive, don't want anybody to get upset!)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_nor_cal
    Love that green. Here's mine. Finally built up how I want it (With the exception of pedals, front derailuer, tires)

The turbo looks great...Do you recommend it? or I should ask, how are you liking it?
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i love the turbo. its the first adjustable seatpost I've owned and I can say it really make me ride harder since before i had it i wouldn't want to lower the seat and stop so i would just ride cautiously. now i can slam the seat on the fly and rail corners. get one.

mtbr member

Vespasianus- Good Question

Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    Wick, you must be the only person to own an Epiphany, an Exo-grid Motolite and a S-Works FSR at the same time!

Why so many bikes in the same range? What do you think of them (just positive, don't want anybody to get upset!)
    Well V-i'm not sure how to answer, maybe osession. the three left are sitting together and I ride them equally every few weeks. What I have learned is ---its not the bike but the rider.They are all nice.
    Stumpy-Wow carbon and kills the chatter- (lifetime warranty) killer on down hills-sweet...
    Epiphany-Swweet cruiser no better all around bike ICT WORKS!!!-nice craftmanship-USA MADE! Nice to be in limited company-suits my rebel side.
    Exogrid-(LIFETIME WARRANTY)stunning work of art-perfect balance and no better craftmanship I have seen. IMHO
    Damn I love Mt Biking- Im done buying bikes for at least 5 years at least my cars paid off - got to take care of my Son!
    Last edited by Wick; 05-11-2008 at 04:13 PM.

~~~
    Obsession? Sounds like Passion to me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_nor_cal
    i love the turbo. its the first adjustable seatpost I've owned and I can say it really make me ride harder since before i had it i wouldn't want to lower the seat and stop so i would just ride cautiously. now i can slam the seat on the fly and rail corners. get one.
    ...hmmm, i'm interested, are you happy that you went with the 4" version and not the 3" version?
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PAINpusher
    ...hmmm, i'm interested, are you happy that you went with the 4" version and not the 3" version?
    The 4 gets the seat good and out of your way. I've never used the 3 so I can't really comment on it. Ill tell you what is important--make sure that you measure how much seatpost you have showing currently when your seat is set at xc pedal uphill height, because the GD i have is very close to too tall. what i mean is, if there was much more seat post exposed--and there has to be based on the design of the GD and the cable that sticks out horizontally-- it would be too tall for me (I'm on an XL) i hope ive made it clear enough to understand what I mean.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    fyi I took my epiphany out today and absolutely thrashed it on a gnarly trail today filled with sharp rocks burried fast in hardpack dirt--confluence trail in auburn if anyone's even been there--and lets just say the bike was firing. suspension is finally dialed in--it performed amazingly, I am very impressed with the ict suspension design.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

... and if we just ... another Epi owner

Great looking bikes! Took mine out today, and I still am amazed at how well they climb. I rode a trail in reverse today, basically straight up the gnarly downhill section (over 6 miles) and I still felt pretty fresh..

Bike comes in at 25.2 lbs, and is bulit pretty sturdy with the wheelset featuring Hope Pro 2's on Stan's ZTR Arch, so far has been flawless.

Cheers

mtbr member

Very Nice Setup

Great shot King- I love the nebulea blue paint!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    nice bike. i dont understand why mine is 30.2 lbs. what's heavy on it?
    My Stable:
    '08 Santa Cruz Nomad
    '07 Raleigh XXIX Rigid Singlespeed 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Chris

I think you have heavier wheels, tires, brakes, seatpost...

I am running:

• Avid Ultimates
    • Stans Arch rims with Hope Pro II hubs
    • S-Works Eskars (tubeless)
    • Ti seatpost

I think these must equate to weight difference

Your bike looks burlier though, mine is pretty much Cross Country/All Mt rig right now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by king2005
    Great looking bikes! Took mine out today, and I still am amazed at how well they climb. I rode a trail in reverse today, basically straight up the gnarly downhill section (over 6 miles) and I still felt pretty fresh..

Bike comes in at 25.2 lbs, and is bulit pretty sturdy with the wheelset featuring Hope Pro 2's on Stan's ZTR Arch, so far has been flawless.

Cheers
    Congrats - That looks just awesome. What size is it? And you?

Those who skibike, know..

Cool-blue Rhythm "e·piph·a·ny" –noun,

an appearance or manifestation, esp. of a deity.

This Epi is a one-of-a-kind. Dont look for this 'paint' job at your LBS anytime soon... now if only I could find some pink bamboo forest ...
    Its not the brand of the wand that matters, but the skill of the magician. (Make no mistake tho, your brand does suck butt.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast