Thread: Epiphany flex?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Epiphany flex?

Let me start by saying I love my Epiphany. However, I was wondering if anyone else had any Epi flex issues? I'm running Mavic Enduros and wondering if those are giving me the flex that I'm feeling. Not real sure where its coming from. Riding weight is 210 lbs. Any help or comments would be appriciated.

travis

aje
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    200lb rider on Mavic Crossmax SL's. No problem with flex.

A

mtbr member
    I'm a 167 lb rider and have NOT noticed any flex after 1 year of riding the Epi. Actually, I feel the Epiphany is the stiffest mountain bike I've ever been on. Previous bikes have been a Santa Cruz Superlight and Heckler, KHS XC904r, and a Gary Fisher Sugar.

I run Mavic 3.1 Tubeless with Hugi hubs so no flex issues there.

Hope this helps...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have never tried an Epiphany since there are no resellers for Ellsworth here in Sweden. But after reading many reviews on internet and in magazines where the Epiphany scored high I just recently ordered one from UK (Freeborn). In two of the reviews frame flex was mentioned. The most negative in this regard was a review in "Mountain Bike Rider" a month ago. They wrote:

"If you are a weight weenie the Epiphany should be on top of your list of possible trail bikes. But if you want to save weight on your bike because you are carrying a few extra pounds yourself we recommend looking elsewhere; the Epiphany just isn't stiff enough for big-boned riders. That said, if you are of slight build or are a particularly smooth rider then the Epiphany is a great bike that can ridden harder than it's weight or geometry suggests."

As I said; I have just read about frame flex in two reviews. No mention of it in all the other reviews, so I guess it depends on riding weight and how hard you ride.

I'm still waiting for my Epiphany.

Best regards

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'm 180 pounds with riding gear and feel the bike is plenty stiff. FWIW, I have Mavic 717's with CK hubs.The wheel set and tire psi can make a big difference in creating a flexy feel.

I demoed a 5-Spot and an Intense 5.5 before buying my Epi. From what I could tell, the Epi was on par with the 5-Spot and maybe just a tad less stiff than the 5.5.

For A 5.5 to 6.0 pound frame,the Epi is very stiff. That being said, at your weight, you will probably discern more flex than I would at 180.

Good luck with the new ride. You're going to love it!

RX

Hooray Beer!
    Quote Originally Posted by RACERX70
    I'm 180 pounds with riding gear and feel the bike is plenty stiff. FWIW, I have Mavic 717's with CK hubs.The wheel set and tire psi can make a big difference in creating a flexy feel.
    I weigh a bit less and have same wheel set with no issues as well. i had some "play" in back end at bearings but problem resolved. not sure same as flex you are refereing to but may be worth checking there for any issues.

Have a few other bikes (HT and freeride) and still enjoy riding my epi the most!!!

anc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Guma75
    In two of the reviews frame flex was mentioned. The most negative in this regard was a review in "Mountain Bike Rider" a month ago. They wrote:

"If you are a weight weenie the Epiphany should be on top of your list of possible trail bikes. But if you want to save weight on your bike because you are carrying a few extra pounds yourself we recommend looking elsewhere; the Epiphany just isn't stiff enough for big-boned riders. That said, if you are of slight build or are a particularly smooth rider then the Epiphany is a great bike that can ridden harder than it's weight or geometry suggests."
    Wouldn't read too much into that review it was the typical UK mag blinging the UK bike. I think the Orange came out on top which to my mind(have owned and broken 2 previous oranges trying to be UK loyal) is a joke, the two bikes are a world apart in terms of build quality and ride IMO of course . They also ran a 140mm fork on all the bikes also which is a little to much for the epi for allround use.
    Don't find my epi flexi but I'm 70kg so it shouldn't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Sounds great! I'm 70kg myself. Still waiting for my Epi...

Best regards,

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

photo

I've actually had it for about year now. Like I said, I love it. The bike actually climbs up and over the trail like a goat and then is plush on the way down. It just sometimes feels a little noodly. Some have suggested trying a different wheel set, so thats probably next. After a year of riding I can say AWSOME BIKE!
    Attached Images Attached Images