mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Epiphany custom tuned Fox RP23

Hi

I have a 2008 Epiphany frame with a Fox RP23 rear shock, this is a 'custom tuned' shock, does anyone know what the difference is between this shock and the standard version of the Fox RP23, and if I replaced my existing shock with a standard unit what would be the impact in the ride quality of my Epiphany ??

Thanks
    Alan

mtbr member
    Are you sure its not the RP-2 custom tuned shock? I don't recall the Epiphany's coming with a custom RP-23. The RP-23 just has the ProPedal switch. I have a "stock" RP-23 on my 10 Epi and it works great.

mtbr member

rp23 option

When I purchased My 2007 epi it was extra for rp23 over float.After three years of riding it needed rebuilt.Push did a tune for my wieght and the bike rode much better all around.Shock rode higher in travel for less pedal strikes and better rebound performance over rocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the quick response

Checking my current RP23 shock it has a label on it that say 'Rebound Tune' and 3 bars which seem to indicate low/med/hi - with the low bar highlighted.

Browsing the Fox website and various online bike stores I have yet to find any indication that the standard retail units come in different rebound tune options - hence my assumption that a custom tuned shock had been used.

Any thoughts ? was this an option in 2008 that Fox have since removed ?

mtbr member
    My Fox RP23 has the same bar for rebound. Assuming that is the factory tune? I am also assuming that the shock on your Ells is not "stock." It was an upgrade. I only know of the RP-2 being specifically tuned for the ICT design.

Tool
    Not likely a 2008-only option. I have the same marking on the RP23 that came on my 2010 Truth (as the frame was leftover stock and the build originally spec'd for a RP2, I have a feeling this is one of at least three different Fox generic tunes that are available to manufacturers. Here's a pic:

I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Looks like the same one on my Epiphany.