mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Epiphany 08 Pike 454 Dual Air Uturn

This is my third fork this year and I AM NOW HAPPY.Built bike using parts off my motolite including 06 talas 130mm.Saw 07 talas 140mm thought hmm thats better.Bought one and it rode real smooth but lost ability to ride at 130mm so at 120mm it carved like crazy at 140mm it was great for steep rocky downhills.BUT it felt like it lost the all around sweet spot.Had read other posts praising pikes before buying 07 talas. Realy liked my wheelset and did not want to change to 20mm qr hub.So I gave new fork to my son and pushed my 06 130 talas.Ride was very harsh I rode it for two months thinking maybe seals would smooth out they did not.Ordered 08 pike had Dave Thomas at speed dream build new front wheel 648 gr with hope pro 2 hub and 355 ztr rim.Rode my third ride today and can not believe the difference. set fork at 120 positive 110 negative. Travel set at 128mm it carves better than the fox at 120mm downhill on a steep rocky section control was awsome.Hope this helps anyone trying to decide on fork.Also the ride was plush.Also Im 51 been riding three days a week for ten years.

spr
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

What is your weight ?

What is your weight ?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    They are indeed a superb fork for the money
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by global
    Travel set at 128mm it carves better than the fox at 120mm downhill on a steep rocky section control was awsome.Hope this helps anyone trying to decide on fork.Also the ride was plush.Also Im 51 been riding three days a week for ten years.
    I think if you were to measure A-C, 128 mm pike is withing 3 mm of the 140 setting on Fox 32 mm 140 forks (TALAS, Vanilla, Float). I initially had a 140 Vanilla on my Epi and it just felt too tall, I could not get used to it, and steep climbing definitely suffered. I swapped it out for the Pike Team (2005 coil u-turn model) and run it at 120 mm most of the time (which is similar A-C as the older 130 mm Fox products. The pike is my favorite fork..EVER!
    And with the Hope ProII hubs you can build up a very nice, easily convertible (between QR and 20 mm), and reasonably priced wheel. Indeed, i am in the process of building some new wheels and the Hope Pro II's are my hubs of choice.

cheers,
    Thumb

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thumbie your posts were part of the reason I tried the Pike so Thank You.I weigh 175 am 5-9 on medium.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by global
    Thumbie your posts were part of the reason I tried the Pike so Thank You.I weigh 175 am 5-9 on medium.
    Glad you like the Pike, Its by far the cheapest (i paid 250 CAD$ off Ebay) fork i have bought, and by far my favorite. The U-turn travel adjust feature is an extremely complimentary feature to the Epi platform...go almost anywhere, do almost anything. As long as the trail is smooth i can wind it up and down in travel while riding (in anticipation of a killer climb or downhill section).

I likey my Pikey

Thumb