mtbr member

Epi w/Formula Puro 200mm/180mm

I may have lost my mind but I have ordered a new set of Formula Puro disk brakes with 200mm/180mm rotors. Currently I have Avid Juicy 5's 180mm/160mm and a Pike 454 dual air fork. The fork will stay but I had to cut some cost when I built the bike and I am ready to upgrade the brakes to match the level of everything else.. By the way for general information I was told that the Pike 454 with the 20MM Maxel voids the warranty on the Epi. I guess Ellsworth was seeing a lot of frames broken by people free riding the bikes with the Maxel fork. I don't do that and love the stability of the 20mm thru axel over a standard QR so I really don't care a whole lot. The Pike makes the Epi track like it's on rails and I don't have to worry about the trail....

I will update after I get them installed and get a few rides under my belt......

Anyway worst case I will have some nearly new Formula rotors for sale and will have to order 180mm/160mm like I had before.... Anyone else running 200mm/180mm on thier Epi?

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by baha_boater
    By the way for general information I was told that the Pike 454 with the 20MM Maxel voids the warranty on the Epi.
    Wow! Who did you hear that from? That seems a bit over the top to me.

mtbr member
    I purchased the bike from Dennis @ ComCycle USA. Dennis gave me the best price and allowed me to spec the bike exactly the way I wanted it. I later emailed him to tell him how much I enjoyed the bike and he informed me that Ellsworth had told him that 20mm through axel forks "voided the warranty on the Epiphany". In fairness I have not contacted Ellsworth to confirm. Actually it is not a real big deal for me because I ride the bike as it was intended and don't try to use it as a free ride bike. I guess my opinion may change if I break the frame during normal use but I don't expect that to happen...

Time is not a road.
    Think about this for a minute...

20mm thru axle forks void the warranty. Why? Isn't the idea of the TA to provide more lateral stiffness at the dropouts? In what way does the axle and hub affect the frame? Is Ellsworth being more than a little paranoid?

Now, is this an issue of fork length? Because there are several forks with a 20mm TA that can be run anywhere from 90mm up to 160mm (or more considering some dual crown forks, but that's not really applicable here). Maybe it makes more sense to say that certain fork lengths are not acceptable with the Epiphany.

I think Ellsworth is not paying attention to the riders out there. We're bigger, faster and stronger than 10 years ago. If you produce a 5" travel bike, it better be able to ride hard and be strong. Something is wrong here...

mtbr member
    The Pike 454 has 140mm of travel so I don't think it is a length of travel issue. I suspect it is more of a intended/actual use view of the fork than travel. I guess I should take the time to call Ellsworth and see what their official position is. I will try and give them a call and update the post.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baha_boater
    The Pike 454 has 140mm of travel so I don't think it is a length of travel issue. I suspect it is more of a intended/actual use view of the fork than travel. I guess I should take the time to call Ellsworth and see what their official position is. I will try and give them a call and update the post.
    Before Paul left Ellsworth last year, he was helping me out with some upgrades for my Epi and when I communicated to him that I'd be upgrading to the Pike, he sounded psyched for me and asked that I report back on how it rides...SO, if Ellsworth has changed their stance and are rewritting their warranty policies that's sad news for Ellsworth & for me.

I trust that Ellsworth would not be skating this fine line of ethics right now... If Ellsoworth does choose to make a change in everyones existing EPI warranty, shouldn't it be their responsibility to first post these new polices and make it public knowlegde???
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hey guys,

A Pike is absoulety fine to run on the Epiphany. The travel does not exceed 140mm, so it is fine. Baha_boater hit the nail on the head when he stated its more of a "intended/acutal use" issue. We would offically recommend a Fox 32 or a Revelation over a Thru Axel Pike, just because the Epiphany was designed to be a extremely light 5+ inches all-mountain bike. Not intended to do repetative drops and stunts, thou it can do some. We recommend our dealers to start referring a Moment to the customer as soon as they start thinking about running a Thru axel. I personally run a Talas on mine and love it. Hope this helps! Email me if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Kurt K
    KurtK@ellsworthbikes.com

mtbr member
    Guy's this is correct! I apologize for the miss information that my dealer gave out here is the prompt response I received from Ellsworth.

Charles,

Thanks for your interest in Ellsworth! This has been a vicious rumor that has been
    going around and not to worry, its false. The Pike is not the fork that we'd
    recommend for that bike, the Revolation is more suited for the Epiphany. But the
    Pike is 140mm of travel and that is well within spec for that bike. We just like to
    remind customers that the Epiphany is not intended for "freerding" unlike its
    brother the Moment. The tube set on the Epiphany is much closer to the Truth
    than it is the Moment, but that does not mean that the Epiphany is not up for some
    abuse. The Pike's a great fork! Enjoy

Happy Trails!

Kurt K

Ellsworth Handcrafted Bicycles

mtbr member
    I installed the new Formula set yesterday and took my first ride today. I am sure they are not broken in yet but my first impressions are that it is not the power but the modulation that is much better than the old Avid Juicy 5's. I found myself charging into down hill turns and swicthbacks much harder due to the confidence these units inspire. So far I am very pleased with this setup. By the way they are absolutly sillent, which is a big plus....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I just got my new Epi and have K24 on it but they are so noisy!

Still pleased with yours baha_boater?

mtbr member
    yes the back makes a noise now and then but the front is silent

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

K24

Quote Originally Posted by seibukan
    I just got my new Epi and have K24 on it but they are so noisy!

Still pleased with yours baha_boater?
    Hi seibukan, I just installed K24s on my Epi, at first they were noisy but after a few rides and hard stops, they're running fine now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rideronthestorm
    Hi seibukan, I just installed K24s on my Epi, at first they were noisy but after a few rides and hard stops, they're running fine now.
    So does mine now