mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Epi Vs Moment frame weight?

Anyone know the frame weights without shock of Epi and Moment?

Thanks

Time is not a road.
    Well, no one picked this up...so I'll take a WAG:

My Moment with DHX-coil was about 8lbs. The DHX coil has got to be around 2lbs, so roughly 6lbs w/o shock for the Moment.

The Epiphany is using air shocks which are significantly lighter, maybe around 1/2lb. I would guess 5-5.5lbs for the frame alone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    yep - my medium Epi frame with Float was 5.4 lbs,

No idea about the moment..

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ...well to sum things up then

-Epi should be ~4.9-5 pounds (given that the float is about a half pound shock)
    -Moment should ~6pounds (given that DHX coil is a ~2 pound shock w/ coil)

1 extra pound....hmm give me my moment with its 27.5 pound /w pedals build

*Thanks for correcting my numbers The Pork Chop Express
    Last edited by cyberjad; 11-28-2006 at 10:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

That .88 lbs is without the spring.

And last I checked, you can't run it without a sping so that isn't a fair weight.

So, you need to make sure to include the spring and a stell spring will put it not to far from 2lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My 2005 small Moment w/o shock weighs in at 6.09 pounds.

DHX Air with reducers and bolts are 1.11 pound.

27.5 pound Moment including pedals?? Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cyberjad
    ...well to sum things up then

-Epi should be ~4.9-5 pounds (given that the float is about a half pound shock)
    -Moment should ~6pounds (given that DHX coil is a ~2 pound shock w/ coil)

1 extra pound....hmm give me my moment with its 27.5 pound /w pedals build

*Thanks for correcting my numbers The Pork Chop Express

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    My 2005 small Moment w/o shock weighs in at 6.09 pounds.

DHX Air with reducers and bolts are 1.11 pound.

27.5 pound Moment including pedals?? Good luck!!!
    Awww man, he could do it...it's all about throwing some cash at it. Light wheels, lots of carbon fiber...no problem!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Look at MTBR

When they tested the 2005 Moment, they had it built out at 29lbs. That was before they lightened the frame in 06 (only slightly) and they had a Romic on it instead of an air shock. I bet if you put an RP23 and some of the new lighter components, you could get it to 27.5 lbs.

But it won't be cheap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    Awww man, he could do it...it's all about throwing some cash at it. Light wheels, lots of carbon fiber...no problem!

Hate to tell you guys but its already been done...

I am currently at 28.5 w/ my romic and I have a FOX DHX 5 air shock on order which should take about a pound off. No I dont have alot of carbon, just the handle bars. But, the parts on the bike are not cheap Full XTR w/ Chris King hubs and all that. Ill throw a picture of it up on the scale when I get the new shock in

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Yeah...I know it can be done. I've seen a Moment owned by Brian (former Ellswoth manager) that was about 27 pounds back in 2005. It was full XTR, airshock and ALUMINUM PIVOT BOLTS! He did it for kicks.

The thing is, why would you want to use a stout frame to build a light duty bike? You can have a strong frame with a bunch of featherweight XC components and skinny tires but what's the point? You'll be much better off to start with a light XC frame. The Moment is not intended for that purpose.

Now put on a 6" thru axle fork and some 2.3-2.4 tires with good grip in the loose stuff. If you can keep that under 28 pounds I would be very impressed

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Well, if you're going to spend that kind of money...

Do what I did. I have an 05 moment with a DHX Air and run Crossmax XLs and up until recently a Pike. I just got a really good deal on a Domain so plan on running the Domain, some big rubber and the Halo SAS wheelset off my dirt jumper when I want to do the big stuff (about 36-37lbs) and then swap to a lighter trail fork (to be named depending on how much I get for the Pike), the Crossmax and some light rubber for the trail days.

Would probably be cheaper (and more versatile) than spending $7000 on the bike with carbon and titanium bits.

But that's just my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yeah...I know it can be done. I've seen a Moment owned by Brian (former Ellswoth manager) that was about 27 pounds back in 2005. It was full XTR, airshock and ALUMINUM PIVOT BOLTS! He did it for kicks.

The thing is, why would you want to use a stout frame to build a light duty bike? You can have a strong frame with a bunch of featherweight XC components and skinny tires but what's the point? You'll be much better off to start with a light XC frame. The Moment is not intended for that purpose.

Now put on a 6" thru axle fork and some 2.3-2.4 tires with good grip in the loose stuff. If you can keep that under 28 pounds I would be very impressed

Well i have a 42pound Dare setup for the big stuff so a light trail orientated Moment works great for me but still is durable enough to do anything and “be the one bike”.

Moment setup

04 frame w/ 05 rogue (dare) chainstay with the Romic shock (DHX Air 5 on order)
    Full XTR groupo w/ dual control shifters
    Ec70 monkey light low rise handlebar
    Chris King headset
    ODI OURY Lock on Grips
    Carbon spacers
    07 FOX Talas RLC 32 fork
    Chris King hubs on 819 Disc Rims
    Maxxis 2.35 UST High Roller tires w/ LUST
    Thompson Elite Stem 110mm and Seatpost 410mm
    WTB rocket V stealth seat
    Shimano 959 pedals
    SRAM hallowpin chain
    Salsa Quick Release Clamp and Skewers

We put it on the scale at the shop the other day and it came in at 28.5 w/ the Romic on. Feels right on. Ill double check the scale and take a picture when I get that DHX air put on in a couple weeks. That same scale did weigh a similar (xtr and chris king) build truth to be 23.5 pounds that day. So it seems accurate.

No its not a cheap build, but its light and study. Good at taking on just about anything I point it at
    Last edited by cyberjad; 11-29-2006 at 10:17 PM.

The Dude Abides
    The thing is, why would you want to use a stout frame to build a light duty bike? You can have a strong frame with a bunch of featherweight XC components and skinny tires but what's the point?

Geometry

My large Moment with a DHX Air was just a hair under 8lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Thanks for the answers guys!

It seems if I get rid of the 06 AM1 and Romic and add an O7 Fox 32 and 07 RP23 I should end up with what I want.
    * A quicker/faster bike then I have now.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redriderpro
    Thanks for the answers guys!

It seems if I get rid of the 06 AM1 and Romic and add an O7 Fox 32 and 07 RP23 I should end up with what I want.
    * A quicker/faster bike then I have now.
    The Fox fork will definitely quicken the bike. I rode one for a very short time and it climbed better, was lighter and generally pretty effective. I did add the 7mm crown race to slacken the HA just a bit because descending on 520mm of A to C height and a 69 degree HA was a little harrier than I'm used to. The crown race was a good compromise.