Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Epi pics and true weights (No lying)

Here are a few pics of my 2007 Epiphany. I feel I have built this up to be light without compromising reliability but after my local bike shop weighed it I am at almost 29lbs? I see some of the people here have theirs down to under 27 lbs, what am I missing? Are you using all titanium bolts or??? I custom built the wheelset based on bombproofing and weight after talking with Dave Thomas. I know a couple areas I might be able to shave a little, but not 2-3 lbs??

Components:
    2007 (L) frame blue
    Chris King headset
    Chris King ISO disc blue hubs on Aeroheat rims built by Dave Thomas @ SpeedDreams
    (front 779gm, R 934gm)
    XO shifters with Matchmaker
    XO rear der, XT front
    SRAM 991 cassette,
    Juicy 7 brakes (6" rear, 7" front)
    RaceFace Dues cranks
    Monkeylite handlebars
    Carbon barends (OK I know this is .25 lbs here)
    Nevegal 2.1 tires (DTC rear, Stick-E front)
    ODI lock on grips
    Thompson Elite seatpost
    WTB Team saddle Ti rails
    ATAC carbon pedals
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Well, for starters, it looks as though you have the aluminum rocker on your frame, as opposed to the mg rocker of which many of the people online still have on thier epi (.38lbs heavier).

Secondly, you do not typically see bar ends on many bikes these days (about another .25-.5 lbs. weight penalty.

thirdly, those race face cranks are costing you some extra weight too.

...But who cares, my epi originally weighed in at about 26 pounds when i 1st got it in late 2005, and ever since then i've been beefing the bike up...don't know what it weighs now, but i imagine my bike is heavier than yours. BUT, take note, at this increased weight, the epi now handles a LOT better and is a lot less twitchy when catching air.

Enjoy the ride - I still LOVE mine!
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Dude, you could get killed with bar-ends like that. They should be in-line with your stem.

Rolling
    Ghetto bar ends

But you said this

"..light without compromising reliability..."

which is spot on. Good ride.

~~~
    You'll be surprised how quickly those few grams add up! Looks like you made solid component choices. You can get 'racier' components to lighten it up, but I doubt you'd gain much in performance.

Things I notice:
    Thomson Elite stem - could go lighter, but no performance gain
    Deus Cranks - I use these too. They're light, but I think XTR and Noir are lighter by about 30-40g. Some might argue Shimanos shift better.
    WTB Saddle - this needs to fit your butt, so not worth changing if it's the right one for you
    Tires - Going tubeless is lighter. Nevegals rock, but also aren't the lightest.
    King hubs - obviously bomb proof. not the lightest, but i wouldn't trade em.
    What kind of spokes did you choose?

Also, you have a large frame, with full length seatpost, longer fork steerer w/ HS spacers, tad longer housing. Bar ends and AL rockers, others already mentioned.

I don't think you're missing anything. Looks like weight weenie build wasn't your top priority, but I think you did good. Remember, not everyone uses an accurate scale to report weight!

mtbr member
    I almost got a Epi when I got rid of my Truth but I ended up getting a Yeti 575. I figured the Epi would be lighter by a pound or two but it turns out the 575 might be a bit lighter. Mine's around 28 with a Float and full XT, not bad considering I could drop another pound with some Crossmax ST's.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

One Gear
    Hmmm....I built up a large frame that came in at 28.2. Which fork are you running? I do have a Float RLC on the front and a RP23 in the back. Crossmax wheels and X.9 parts with Mythos tires. I didn't use any particularly light parts. I'm looking into some lighter tires, but that's about it. I'd dump the bar ends and add a spacer to get some rise. Oh yeah, it did come with the mag rockers.

Good luck

mtbr member
    i just finished my epi build with most of the parts carrying over from my cracked litespeed niota. Final build came in at 24.3lbs as pictured.

07 Medium epiphany with float r
    06 pushed fox talas 32
    sram xo shifters/rear derailleur and hollowpin chain
    fsa k force cranks/seatpost and bars
    mavic slr wheels/schwalbe racing ralphs running tubeless
    xtr front derailleur and cassette
    avid ultimates 160/160 with hope sawtooths
    king headset
    fizik alliante saddle

A little more of a racey build but i wanted a do it all bike that i can ride at the 24's, local races and still double as a comfortable all mountain bike.

mtbr member
    sorry about the picture, that came out horrible.
    i'll try some more pics tomorrow with some natural light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Hey Cookie....that looks like a 07 fork. Are you sure it is an 06? Also, what model XTR derailleur are you running??

Those who skibike, know..
    Love the whitewalls! Hope they dont add weight.... lol
    Its not the brand of the wand that matters, but the skill of the magician. (Make no mistake tho, your brand does suck butt.)

mtbr member
    lose the bar ends dude!!!

I have similar components. I think the RaceFace crank is solid and reliable, the new carbon version looks pretty trick and add ceramic bearings to be race ready. I'd be interested to hear what you think about the Chris King hubs??? The head sets are the best.

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    I've got nearly the same build with XTR cranks and DT swiss hub/717 rims and it weighs a little under 27 lbs. I have the Mg rocker arm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbkr_cookie
    i just finished my epi build with most of the parts carrying over from my cracked litespeed niota. Final build came in at 24.3lbs as pictured.

07 Medium epiphany with float r
    06 pushed fox talas 32
    sram xo shifters/rear derailleur and hollowpin chain
    fsa k force cranks/seatpost and bars
    mavic slr wheels/schwalbe racing ralphs running tubeless
    xtr front derailleur and cassette
    avid ultimates 160/160 with hope sawtooths
    king headset
    fizik alliante saddle

A little more of a racey build but i wanted a do it all bike that i can ride at the 24's, local races and still double as a comfortable all mountain bike.

Dream build dude.
    Few questions: 1. Is that the carbon braided rail on the Aliante? If so I applaud your commitment to the super-pimp....but didn't realise they recommend that for mtb, let us know if you get away with running that.

2. Can we have a close-up of the bar-end caps....and where can I get myself some of those?

MTB SOCAL

Med Epi 26.5 lbs

My med Epi with a reasonably light (but sensible) build is 26.5 lbs.

Here are the specs:

07 Med Epi w/ Mag rockers and RP23
    06 Float RLC fork
    XTR crankset
    XTR FD
    XO RD
    XO trigger shifters
    Hope Mono Mini brakes with 6" rotors F/R
    Thomson Elite stem (100mm)
    Easton EC90SL carbon riser bar
    Thomson Masterpiece seatpost
    Selle Italia SLR Gel saddle
    Industry Nine wheels w/ DT Swiss rims
    Kenda Nevegal 2.1 tires w/ tubes
    King headset
    Salsa seatpost clamp and skewers
    Shimano 959 pedals
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have an '08 Epi that I got in october, no pictures as of yet tho.
    She weighed in at 25.4 with out pedals, but never weighed it afterwards

Here's the build:
    Med frame
    Ellsworth Aluminum XC wheelset
    Fox Float RP23 in the back
    Talas 32 RLC up front
    King Headset
    XO r. der and shifters
    XT f. der
    Avid Juicy Carbons
    Truvativ Noir Crankset
    Thomson Elite Post and Stem
    Easton Monkeylite carbon bar
    Terry Zero Saddle
    Kenda Nevegal 2.1 with stans conversion
    Crankbros eggbeater sl pedals

she's beautiful

mtbr member
    EndOverend: good eyes! yes they are carbon rails and i haven't had any problems with one year of riding on the saddle. Barend slugs are from jensonusa, just follow this link....

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...End+Slugs.aspx

Rolling
    If it makes you all feel better, my Id weighs 32 lbs.

mtbr member

29.9 Pounds

Juicy Carbon
    Pike Air Uturn
    I9s
    Aluminum Rocker
    XO RD & Shifters
    XTR cassette
    2.35 DTC Nav (rear) - tubed
    2.5 Stick-E Nav (front) - tubed
    Easton carbon bars
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    In metric I think around 12.5kg= x 2.204622 = 27.56 pounds. Add GPS, lights etc put it between 28-29. Soon to be fitted with RS Monarch rear shock which I think is a bit lighter. It's a good couple of kg's heavier than some XC rigs around but more fun to ride and takes the big hits better IMO.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for all the replies! I am unfortunately addicted to my barends (114gms I know) but will try and get rid of them again soon. I just put on some Small Block 8's with lighter tubes and that was another pound that I couldn't belive.
    Sub 25 lbs for some of these builds, holy S@#T. I don't think it is that heavy, just couldn't think of anything obvious.
    I have had no issues with the Race Face Dues cranks even though they are about 30 gms heavier thatn XTR, I couldn't justify the extra $300+ at the time.

MTBR_cookie - How do you like the PUSHED Talas as that is what I have been thinking about doing here soon (actually the rear as well at the same time)?

Jimmy L - I have been using Chris King hubs for quite a while and even though they are ridiculously expensive, they last forever! A little more maintenance as far as lubing them about every 6 months but they always run smooth and won't leave you stranded.

Tburger - I will get back to you with the spokes as I talked with Dave Thomas at SpeedDreams wheels and told him how I ride and let his knowledge do the magic. I have not had to touch them in the last year and I pound on them (not freeriding) about 3-4 times a week.

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Rider x
    Love the whitewalls! Hope they dont add weight.... lol
    HAHA I thought that too. It looks like there is some reflective material in the siedwalls of the new Nevegal.

Sorry dude but tree hooks are lame. Especially on such a fine a$$ rig.

My Moment broke the scale at 33.5 lbs. I wouldn't know what to do with a bike that was under 30 pounds let alone 25.
    Team MOJO Wheels.

mtbr member
    I fitted and trail tested a RockShox Monarch 4.2 rear shock, it's dialed in rather firm but I'm pretty impressed- the bike feels great and far more snappy and responsive.

I'm still torn between the Ellsworth's, I9s and the Chirs King Wheels but am starting to lean back towards the Ellsworth carbons. Lushman if you like bar ends maybe check out the Ergon grips- they look good. I know how smashed your palms get after long day on the bike over rough terrian.

Those who skibike, know..
    Dialed firm? Looking at the red O-ring it looks like its at about 50% sag... ??
    Its not the brand of the wand that matters, but the skill of the magician. (Make no mistake tho, your brand does suck butt.)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by coldsteele
    HAHA I thought that too. It looks like there is some reflective material in the siedwalls of the new Nevegal.

Sorry dude but tree hooks are lame. Especially on such a fine a$$ rig.

My Moment broke the scale at 33.5 lbs. I wouldn't know what to do with a bike that was under 30 pounds let alone 25.
    The "whitewall" reflection is from the SWS on the rear Nevegal. The front is a Stick-E version without the SWS. Kenda was at the last 24 hour race and had the Nevegals with the SWS (kevlar side wall shield) for $24. It isn't nearly as noticable in person.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast