mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Epi owners with an RP23....please read.

I'm thinking of mounting the shock right side up. I know the adjustment knobs would cumbersome to reach from between the rocker arms, but how about the schraeder valve. Would I still be able to put a shock pump on it?

Has anyone reversed theirs, if so, have you had any issues?

Thanks,

RX

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Don't know about the Epi, but I run my ID this way. I have the valve side facing forward and the lever in-between the rocker arms. I like it, it's super easy to reach down and flip it while riding. I can't easily adjust the propedal strength and rebound while riding but those are set and forget settings and I doubt I could in any position.

Try it, you'll probably like it.

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by phatfreeheeler
    Don't know about the Epi, but I run my ID this way. I have the valve side facing forward and the lever in-between the rocker arms. I like it, it's super easy to reach down and flip it while riding. I can't easily adjust the propedal strength and rebound while riding but those are set and forget settings and I doubt I could in any position.

Try it, you'll probably like it.
    I run my Id with RP23 this way too.
    "Don't criticize what you can't understand."

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    sorry to off topic a little but why do you want to reverse the rear shock? i am riding an epi and loving it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmycbl
    sorry to off topic a little but why do you want to reverse the rear shock? i am riding an epi and loving it!

Aesthetics primarily.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    cannot argue with that. good luck!

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    I am ready to purchase an Epiphany with the RP23 and I would also like to flip the shock over. Aesthetics is one minor reason but the other I see is that the lever will be a longer reach if the lever is near the bottom bracket as opposed to the top tube. Your thoughts and comments would be helpful.
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by pachaven
    I am ready to purchase an Epiphany with the RP23 and I would also like to flip the shock over. Aesthetics is one minor reason but the other I see is that the lever will be a longer reach if the lever is near the bottom bracket as opposed to the top tube. Your thoughts and comments would be helpful.
    Yes it's better not to have to reach down so far and disturb your balance more.

I'm pretty sure you'll have to put the valve in front and the lever in between the rockers. It works fine that way for flipping the propedal on and off. It's probably a little harder to do the adjustment of the propedal level, but you have to stop the bike to do that anyway.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Steve,

I know for sure the air valve needs to be facing forward, otherwise you can't put a pump on it. Looks like no prob getting to the pro-pedal lever, however.

I took my shock off and flipped it right side up and held it up to the frame shock mounts to get a rough idea of the fit. Unfortunatley,because of the hardware on the eyelets of the shock, I can't actually mount it that way. I need to have a shop reverse the hardware(needs to be removed, switched and pressed back in) to be able to actually mount it correctly.

I called Ells and asked them. Talked to a new guy who said you couldn't do it because a shock pump wouldn't fit on the schraeder valve. I'm not sure if I believe that. By just eyeballing it, it seems like it would be no prob mounting a pump. I just don't want to go through the hassle of having the eyelet hardware reversed only to find I can't pump up my shock. Hence, my question to you guys.

RX

anc
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    With regards flipping the lever at the bottom, don't worry it's really easy. May be harder if you've got a belly mind!

Racerx70 have a look at Boss's post in the 'Lets see your epiphanys' thread, looks like a upsidedown RP23 mounted forwards.
    Last edited by anc; 10-27-2006 at 07:15 AM.

Time is not a road.
    I have my RP23 mounting upside down on my Moment. I was just thinking, how often do I really put air in the shock anyway? Why not mount it rightside up, with the PP adjuster facing forward? If I need to add air, I can just remove the mounting bolt. The question is, though, will the air valve hit the rockers...that'd be the kicker.

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    I have my RP23 mounting upside down on my Moment. I was just thinking, how often do I really put air in the shock anyway? Why not mount it rightside up, with the PP adjuster facing forward? If I need to add air, I can just remove the mounting bolt. The question is, though, will the air valve hit the rockers...that'd be the kicker.
    I thought this was an interesting idea so I just tried it on my Id. The rocker just mashed down slightly on the shraeder valve cap. So I took my dremel with a chain saw sharpening tool on it and made a very slight indentation on the bottom inside edge of the rocker. The bike just went past warranty anyway.

I haven't taken a big ride yet, but my little test jaunt showed me that it's easier than reaching down between the rockers as I was doing. You can just sort of sweep your hand across from one side or the other and knock the lever the way you want it to go. You don't have to shift your riding position as you do with the shock upside down. And you don't have to grope for the lever as you do with the valve out in front and the lever in between the rockers.

Up till now I have been able to go months without putting air in the shock. It'll probably be my luck that now I'll have to start filling it every week and have to detach the shock to do so.