mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Epi owners - lateral stiffness

I was very impressed with performance and comfortable geometry of the Epi during my demo trail ride. The ride was variable but not long enough or challenging enough to get a really good idea for the bikes lateral stiffness. There are a lot of long linkages in the rear triangle. Have any existing Epi owners noticed any lateral flex or drift hamming downhills or laying down aggressive turns?
    I am curious how tight the back end feels compared to Ventanas and Titus ML for example. I'm guessing a more active rear suspension like the Epi ICT is going to flex more. Hopefully this doesn't interfere with the bikes ability to track at speed.
    Still reflecting on my test ride but have a few more questions to answer. Thanks for any feedback.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    D-n-D

Per my previous post, I came off a Hammerhead/RacerX, which has a reputation for being very stiff. My Epi is every bit as stiff as my HH was. I ride lots of rocks and if a bike is at all flexy, it will be very apparent.

Also, like I said, I demoed the 5-Spot and the 5.5 and there was no discernable difference between those and the Epi.

RX

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Come on Epi riders, wake the Fu#k up...help this guy out. Give him some feed back! He's also contemplating a 5-Spot. All the Kool-Aid drinkers over on the Sheep forum, errr I mean Turner forum are doing their best to sell him on the accolades of the Spot.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Down n Dirty
    Have any existing Epi owners noticed any lateral flex or drift hamming downhills or laying down aggressive turns?
    I am curious how tight the back end feels compared to Ventanas and Titus ML for example.
    It's a poor question, because unless you are able to compare with a Foes or Ventana, you don't have a good frame of reference as to what is really "stiff" or "rigid". There are plenty of people that feel their bike are stiff or rigid until they try something that is much better, such as a Foes, so unless these Epi owners have ridden these other bikes for comparission, there's not much usefull information that you can get.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I certainly haven't noticed a lack of stiffness at the back...

What I have noticed is a fantastically plush rear end that tracks brilliantly and hugs the ground - unless you huck of something of course !

Best bike I've ridden, I tested a 5-Spot and a Nomad before going for an Epi...

For saying how light the frame is it's very stiff - but I do like 4 bar linkages anyway...

mtbr member
    I came from a Ti Hard tail, and the Epi feels just as stiff to me. So, I have no idea how it could feel any stiffer. (I weigh 170 with out gear).
    Hydrate or Die Trying

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have been riding an Epi for just about a year now. I came off an Orange Five. Of course I experienced a nice improvement in rear end stiffness. Later on I converted my King rear hub to the heavy duty axle and Fun Bolts, again I noticed a slight improvement. I am 205lbs w/o gear and the Fun Bolt conversion didn't add any weight to the bike.
    Charlie

mtbr member
    I have noticed a tiny bit of lateral flex in the rear, haven't worried too much about it because its neglible.Also I think it could be the wheelset, rather than the frame. Good luck on your bike project I can recommend the Ellsworth- it's very sweet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

my thoughts...

I am coming from a steel hardtail and a Kona Stinky. The Epi perfectly melds the advantages of both of these bikes. I also ride a lot of very rocky trails. I also ride some road where i use my lockout for out of the saddle hammering (rear shock is a RS MC3.3). In either of these areas i do not notice any considerable flex when compared to my other bikes. I do notice sometimes that the rear rotor audibly rubs when i lean to the left, but i just checked my rear hub (XT) and theres a little play there (which i will be fixing immediately). I suspect that this will solve my brake rubbing.

One very 'back of the napkin' approach for measuring flex is to stand facing the non drive side of the bike, hold the seat and handlebar, leant he bike a little and put pressure on the bottom bracket with your foot. Kind of like leaning on a hockey stick to guage its flexiness. Perhaps a useful thing to try but very subjective according to tire pressure and size and rigidity of wheel (this could be negated by using the same wheel on all bikes that you are side to side comparing)......

thumbies