Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Ellsworths' Home Page

So.

I peruse the homepage to find the only bike in E's lineup to be any freeride worthy is the Rogue. I kept punching up the page over the year to find the Chaos and Distance consitently listed as "In Development". So what. The bikes were in development and never delivered? Did anyone buy into the bikes to never get them? Did anyone pay for them and get them? Where are they? Not on the Shore, I assure you.

The new lineup is very crosscountry, light trekking oriented. I admit that. I just hope that E admits that as well. I cannot see many of E bikes being on the Shore anytime soon. Not that there is any dealer, but no worry. There are Foes dealers here but I bought my bike online and saved $800 US by doing so, so there is no excuse they can't be had.

But perhaps this is wiser, getting out of the harsher end of the riding spectrum. The Dare, as excellent as it was (I had 2) was a linear rate rear end, and was hard to set up. The Fly, the second I am on, is plush and ramps up as I need it. Seems the 4 bar design is showing its age. And I tried the Dare with a stable platform shock, and no avail. But for XC or racing pure, the Ellsworth would be my number one choice, no doubt. There is no other bike like it for that purpose.

I am glad that E has finally admitted that it is good at something and not all things. Stick to what it knows and is successful at. Leave the heavy hit bikes to someone else. Smart. At least in the long run.

Makes my 2 old Dares Collector items. To bad I had to sell them. But need dictated otherwise. As time moves on, so does need and want. Too bad E could not keep up with it.

So what about the ATLAS patent. Makes it a loss leader, doesn't it?

mtbr member
    That would be what an XC icon represents, are you an idiot?.

I'm not going to bother with a valid reply I think your comments add no value and simply don't derserve one. How about you wipe your chin.
    Little wannebe tough guy freerider geeks like you should stop wearing a skirt, remove your pads and come see how it's really done. Hang on, let me guess? on second thought its not worth wasting my time.

mtbr member
    After reading your past threads Blackfly, troll somewhere else. Is the Foes board slow or something?
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

"Its All Good"
    Blackfly, have to say, you must lead a very mundane boring life, what is your life like watching grass grow or paint dry........................ Is this your take on reverse psychology... You need a lot more practise..... Mind you one of your more subtle attempts..

Bro give it a rest. It is now boring and a constant drag. We feel sorry for you, is that what you want..... Be glad you love your Foes, go and ride it hard and enjoy it................. Tony E is not loosing sleep that you dont rate his bikes. KNOW THAT. You are the victim here bro.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i realy don't get you blackfly. for someone who hates Ellsworth so much and loving his Fly as it was the very first woman he had sex with, you spend a lot of time on this forum.
    either you have a split personality or you can't admit even to yourself that you still wish you had an Ells bike.

how about a deal ? we won't bother you on the Foes forum and you will stay out of this one ?
    that way we won't bore each other to death.

mtbr member
    There must be snow on "the shore".
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

snow?

Nope, no snow here but the rain is finally coming tonight. I've had seven months so far on my moment on and around "the shore". It's been a blast. Plus Whistler Bike Park, Silver Star, Nelson, Rossland; its all been good. No regrets.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm quiet new on this forum...But I really think that guy is sick...
    Never seen such obsession and eagerness...

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Septentrion
    I'm quiet new on this forum...But I really think that guy is sick...
    Never seen such obsession and eagerness...
    Have to agree. I just put it down to we are all different, THANK GOODNESS.

Yep, it is like Blackfly has a mission in life, one that he will get sick over, not us.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Rolling
    "Fly" is such an appropriate name!

The Fly is such a great bike, for sure--the double meaning of the handle, I'm sure, was never expected by the adopter of it!

locked - time out
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfly
    So.

I peruse the homepage to find the only bike in E's lineup to be any freeride worthy is the Rogue. I kept punching up the page over the year to find the Chaos and Distance consitently listed as "In Development". So what. The bikes were in development and never delivered? Did anyone buy into the bikes to never get them? Did anyone pay for them and get them? Where are they? Not on the Shore, I assure you.

The new lineup is very crosscountry, light trekking oriented. I admit that. I just hope that E admits that as well. I cannot see many of E bikes being on the Shore anytime soon. Not that there is any dealer, but no worry. There are Foes dealers here but I bought my bike online and saved $800 US by doing so, so there is no excuse they can't be had.

But perhaps this is wiser, getting out of the harsher end of the riding spectrum. The Dare, as excellent as it was (I had 2) was a linear rate rear end, and was hard to set up. The Fly, the second I am on, is plush and ramps up as I need it. Seems the 4 bar design is showing its age. And I tried the Dare with a stable platform shock, and no avail. But for XC or racing pure, the Ellsworth would be my number one choice, no doubt. There is no other bike like it for that purpose.

I am glad that E has finally admitted that it is good at something and not all things. Stick to what it knows and is successful at. Leave the heavy hit bikes to someone else. Smart. At least in the long run.

Makes my 2 old Dares Collector items. To bad I had to sell them. But need dictated otherwise. As time moves on, so does need and want. Too bad E could not keep up with it.

Don't feed the troll. I think it's best to ignore this idiot. He obviously has a real problem with Ellsworth which is fair enough, but not sure why he constantly *****es on this forum now he own's a Foes. I had a little play with him on the Foes forum with a stupid post - he really didn't like it!

One day he'll grow up, best to ignore him until then.. At least he's not on the trails much by the amount of posting he does!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Agreed. Pitiful is the only word that comes to mind.

I have to say, though, I was also wondering about the Distance and Chaos and why they were not delivered. That, and that alone, is the only valid 'point' in blackfly's post.

over 50 years of cycling

Cool-blue Rhythm don't feed the wild animals

Quote Originally Posted by bpnic
    After reading your past threads Blackfly, troll somewhere else. Is the Foes board slow or something?
    I know that I REALLY should not feed the troll......

I am also new on this forum. Seems like everytime I click on over to this area of the forum, I see a LOT more people on the Elly forum people counter than on the Foe forum.

Indeed it just must be too boring over there or maybe "misery loves company" and he is looking to recruit more Foe comrades?

Actually, I think bike bashing is pretty silly in general, trying to convince people that the bike they love is crap.
    Seems like there is plenty of room in the sandbox for a whole bunch of "favorite" bikes for different needs of different people and the REAL point is just to have FUN on whatever bike makes you happy.

In fact I would be more worried if there WAS only one "good" brand, because without competition, development would stagnant, and prices would get even more insane...if thats possible.....Look at Shimano, after all....

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Everything else aside, I ask you then this: Agreeing that the points about the Chaos and Distance being in agreement, what does this then tell you about the company and direction in general?

At the time I bought my first Dare, it was the ****. No bike had the travel, strength, weight and features to ride here on the Shore that could compare to it. Granted, you had to pay more, but it was the best I could find then. So I bought it. 2 years passed and the new Dare came out, the extruded Dare. Same travel, but stronger front end (the strongest any Ellsworth ever made) and a MUCH stronger rear end. The bike tracked truer, more stable and flew better than my last one. Awesome bike. But time changes and so does technology. Things get better, worse or stay the same, and sadly, the Ellsworth ICT design stayed the same. Other companies made improvements, changes, and upgrades. The time I bought my 03 Fly, the Dare was NO DIFFERENT. No new shock options, same design, more travel, but the inherent flaws were not looked at. The ICT design is excellent for pedalling but not for big travel. The design is linear rate, and I could never get the bike "just right". I could not get it plush and ramp up, and the Foes Fly did that with all the quality and strength. I made a switch because the Fly was better, not because the Dare was worse.

But now E is getting out of the freeride scene. I cannot tell you how many Jokers broke, and had to be honored by warranty, simply due to North Shore use. I know many who bought a Joker (Chaos) and had 3 bikes, the other 2 on warranty. That is not cost effective. But to eliminate the bike altogether, with no R+D, new design or technology, shows to me that E is playing it safe. May be good for the bank account, and there is nothing wrong with that, but it shows me that the bank account is all that matters. Real bike companies with real heart and soul take chances, and sometimes they fail or succeed. The Fly was a chance. The new 06 I have is about the best freeride bike one can have. Seven licensed the Maverick Monolink design and took it a step further with a Titanium frame. It is one of the best XC bikes available.

But companies that don't take chances don't open new doors either. The ICT design is tested, true and safe. Fair enough. But when the E company blatanly uses all Shore references it can to promote the Chaos, and then to my knowledge, never builds it, shows me a company willing to take what it can and then not deliver. It is sad; The extruded front ends were NOT the problem, in most cases. The rear end was. Why could E not reengineer it, knowing where the issues were? Whatever. It seems to be water under the bridge.

I do get a laugh, however, that most obviously do not really read my posts and respond in knee jerk reactions. Obviously shows most do not think, but like the Amoeba, respond to any stimuli. I loved my Ellsworths, but moved on to something better and was very upset to see Ellsworth take a direction with a very important market in the wrong way. Ellsworth got its name, initially, on the Shore on the DH/Freeride bikes, not the Truth. Obviously, someone in San Diego is going to see my point of view differently, as they are riding in a totally different locale than I and thus are going to get a totally different experience.

But most do not respond with long posts with personal information, experiences or ideas. Only emotions. I would hope that those with passionate experience with Ellsworth would be able to tell me the differences in year to year changes, bearing makes or pivot locations, but most responses are devoid of anything intelligent, thought prevoking or insightful. On the other hand, the Foes forum riders share the experiences, quirks (good and bad) to help the other riders. There are some, not I, who do not LIKE the Curnutt shock, and I respond in just this manner. But I do not get 1 sentence answers that show little in responded thought. I get detailed riding experiences that tell me why the Curnutt is prefered and how I can experiement to see this. But to respond with gut emotion does nothing nor does it show any real learning of the bike or its technology by those who respond. There is more to riding than just riding, and I think many have to learn this.

sock puppet

i get a headache when i read your english...

combined with mostly retarded content of your posts, this is a sure recipe for a migraine... hence, i cant read them anymore - please accept my apologies.

i like the looks of your Foes though... a bit too much like wall-mart middle of the road models, but nonetheless, classy and very capable...

i particularly like that rubber protection on Foes fork - makes it look even tougher... you must be the envy of the Shore crowd...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Please Go Away!

Everybodys responding to your post in a "knee Jerk reaction" way because THEY MAKE NO SENSE. They are not based in fact, just your own twisted fiction!

Who knows why they stopped making the Altas bikes, maybe because single pivot bikes are far less superior to 4 bar bikes in just about every riding situtation. Who knows? They are allowed to do what ever they want.

And extrustion......... I've already ruined your point on this. Drawing your tubes INSTEAD of extruding them is a far more, consistent, stronger product. Do you know what extrustion is? Its basically the playdough of tube technology. I'm done trying to reason with you.... as Whafe said, Its hopeless.

And who gives a F&%* about the shore? I could care less about idiots that choose to huck themselves off of everything in sight on an overally gusseted pigs of a bikes (Foes), I have no intrest in that type of riding. If I hear about the shore one more time, I may yack all over my keyboard.

Maybe the Ellsworth board would get better, and more like the Foes board (with the 3 of you that read it) if you would leave! You are the cancer on this board. So I know I'm speaking for everyone right now, please go away.

right behind ya
    Holy cr@p. b-fly is soooo right. I thought i loved riding my ells. thank you for showing me the light mcfly. gotta hit the classifieds to post sale of my rig

shoreboy all i can say is
    Attached Images Attached Images
    hard line, hard line, hard line after hard line

"Its All Good"
    What do you call a fly with no wings ????

A walk.........

"Its All Good"
    What do you call a fly with no wings and no legs?????

A walk.....

You see Blackfly, what you have reduced this thread to. Sick humour, thats what the crew think of your mind set.... Please go in for an SOH transplant......

right behind ya

even better ????

Q: What do you call a fly with no wings and no legs?
    A zipper.

now zip it bleck-fly
    Last edited by Down boy down; 10-18-2006 at 03:10 PM.
    hard line, hard line, hard line after hard line

#1 Ho
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfly
    So.

So is it true that Ellsworth is getting out of the big travel scene. They did have those pictures up on the website that had indevelopement stamped over them. Has anyone heard for sure that these bikes will not be coming out or is this just speculation?
    [[SIZE=2]Go big then go home[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    The bikes are in the works still. They are tring to keep the weight down while improving strength and keeping a good price point. They could build a straight tubed frame that weighed 9lbs but people would be b*tching about the weight.
    www.treefortbikes.com Just lauched V2.0 with free shipping and low prices!

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by applegreenheckler
    The bikes are in the works still. They are tring to keep the weight down while improving strength and keeping a good price point. They could build a straight tubed frame that weighed 9lbs but people would be b*tching about the weight.
    Something is better than nothing, IMO. Heck, Knolly is making very heavy frames but people are buying them because of their quality of manufacture and stiffness.

You know, frankly, I don't care about the fate of the single pivot bikes anymore. I'm not going to buy one. I have owned one and did enjoy it immensly, but I'm not in that market anymore (besides, that Chaos is UGLY!). I see the emphasis on 29" bikes, HTs and road frames while maintaining the staples - Truth, Epi and Moment. This isn't a bad bunch of bikes, by any means. It's not the same as all the boutique builders, but it's not that different either. Turner, Intense, Foes, Ventana and Titus don't offer "alternative" suspension designs. The only one that did, Titus, eliminated the Loco Moto a few years ago. So I don't see the issue if Ellsworth just dumps the ATLAS bikes altogether. They should just sell the patent and move on.

The way I see it, a dedicated DH bike is the only thing missing from the lineup.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by rockit
    Who knows why they stopped making the Altas bikes, maybe because single pivot bikes are far less superior to 4 bar bikes in just about every riding situtation.
    Not according to Tony Ellsworth.

Lets post a little of Tony Ellsworth's information that seems to make Atlas seem like the best suspension idea ever;

Good absorption for small and large bumps, fully-active and consistently compliant over varied terrain

Surprisingly supple ride feel realized on demo rides may lead to flooding market of other bike brands, causing excessive eBay™ sales of used bikes, and decrease of competing brand market values.

Good power output on all terrain. Unique pivot location leads to power output that rivals the best 4-bar linkage bike designs.

While your friend with the ICTequipped bike loads competitors’ truck, avoid riding wheelies in the pits or riding home—don’t be a show-off.

Good braking over all bump sizes, optimized rear wheel contact with terrain and control. Low and forward pivot location provides neutral suspension under braking, avoiding “jacking” effect and maximizing braking efforts.

Later braking capability in turns may necessitate waiting for friends to catch up.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Not according to Tony Ellsworth.

Lets post a little of Tony Ellsworth's information that seems to make Atlas seem like the best suspension idea ever;
    I wondered when the predictable one would turn up *yawn*

Gosh I must sell my Ells, Jayem hates them and Tony.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast