mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Ellsworth XC 26 Wheelset

hi guys, wondering if anyone of you are using the ellsworth XC wheelset
    i am currently using one that i got about 1 month ago and the rear bearing is busted.
    I am a gentle rider. no jumps or anything, just a XC rider who is about 160lbs
    but apparently my rear bearing busted and my front is giving me weird noise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have been "abusing" mine for about 2 months now and they are awesome so far. No problems whatsoever... I do a lot of drops and AM riding.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Had mine for about 3+ months now...average 60 miles a week with little 1 to 2 drop nothing more aggressive than that. Only had to true on the second ride, but once that was done been holding up "crossing fingers"

Jack Jack, did you buy yours new or used?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    mine was brand new with my epiphany
    had send my wheel over to my LBS to check and they confirm that the bearing was busted and had them change out.
    it been holding true... but the bearing didnt..
    maybe i should back out on the rock garden .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jack View Post
    mine was brand new with my epiphany
    had send my wheel over to my LBS to check and they confirm that the bearing was busted and had them change out.
    it been holding true... but the bearing didnt..
    maybe i should back out on the rock garden .
    How often do you wash your bike?
    specially with water jet spray?
    When trails gets tougher, Just stand up and deliver.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i wash them when they get all muddy and dirty.
    no jet spray on the wheel or bearing, just wet sponge and rag and then wipe them dry..
    wheel had been send to LBS twice already.. first time was busted bearing.. and they change it out for me.
    2nd time, well they told me that is due to the bearing misalignment... .. wheelset back on my bike but havent get a chance to ride them yet since the 2nd repair.

mtbr member
    Sounds like your LBS is right on alignment issue then,
    How about the front?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just got the rear trued for the first time since new after about 15 rides on it. Wash the bike when it is cruddy, but never sprayed the wheels directly, and don't plan to. Front is still perfectly straight, surprisingly even after wedging it between 2 rocks on Turkey Day and flipping over the bars...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Ellsworth XC Wheels

I've currently got a set of Ellsworth XC 26'' wheels on my Epiphany. I can't say I am very happy with them. I purchased the set about 12 months ago - aug of 2011. I ride up in the Pacific NW in mud and gunk. The rear wheel wouldn't stay true, and I broke the axle about 6 months after I had it. I'm 190 pds and never getting more than 6 inches off the ground on the minimal stuff I'm doing. I must say Ellsworths customer service tried their best. I talked to Diego Cristobal in their service area, and even mailed the wheel back to him. He trued it and sent it back, but within about 15 miles of rooty NW XC trail riding, it was out of true yet again. Ellsworth sent me a new rear wheel about 4 months ago, and while I haven't had any trueing issues, I just broke the back axle on a 6 mile trail ride on a little bunny job.
    The wheels themselves are super light, and have a bit of flex in them I've found. I just question how sturdy they are, and wish I had picked up the AM wheelset. At $899 for the XC set, it's an expensive mistake. I love the epiphany, but I'll be putting some sturdier wheels on them. If anyone wants to pick up or trade for an Ellsworth XC wheelset let me know. Perhaps I'm just too fat for it ~

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schatzidog View Post
    I've currently got a set of Ellsworth XC 26'' wheels on my Epiphany. I can't say I am very happy with them. I purchased the set about 12 months ago - aug of 2011. I ride up in the Pacific NW in mud and gunk. The rear wheel wouldn't stay true, and I broke the axle about 6 months after I had it. I'm 190 pds and never getting more than 6 inches off the ground on the minimal stuff I'm doing. I must say Ellsworths customer service tried their best. I talked to Diego Cristobal in their service area, and even mailed the wheel back to him. He trued it and sent it back, but within about 15 miles of rooty NW XC trail riding, it was out of true yet again. Ellsworth sent me a new rear wheel about 4 months ago, and while I haven't had any trueing issues, I just broke the back axle on a 6 mile trail ride on a little bunny job.
    The wheels themselves are super light, and have a bit of flex in them I've found. I just question how sturdy they are, and wish I had picked up the AM wheelset. At $899 for the XC set, it's an expensive mistake. I love the epiphany, but I'll be putting some sturdier wheels on them. If anyone wants to pick up or trade for an Ellsworth XC wheelset let me know. Perhaps I'm just too fat for it ~
    for $900 you should have picked up set of kings on flows or i23's and had some money left over. mind you they wouldn't hve been built in a buddhist temple, but they would have lasted years

mtbr member
    Ditto on kings