mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Ellsworth Wheels

I have heard that Ellsworth is coming out with wheels this year. I have an Evolve ordered and am considering the Ellsworth wheels. Anyone know anything about them? Weight, price, delivery, etc. I am interested in the aluminum ones. Thanks!

Rolling
    I have a hard time believing that Ellsworth can make wheels that compete against the big boys.

..without buying them from the big boys.

We're going down WHAT??

I saw the wheels and spoke to TE regarding them...

You can check some of my past posts to see the pictures of the wheels. (I don't have time to look for them as I am damn tired...) I saw the wheels at Interbike this year and they looked sweet. Dual sealed bearing hubs with carbon fiber hoops and the ellsworth logo. They looked great, TE said they would be great for a XC/Al-mtn set up. I am not sure if Carbon fiber hoops is the wave of the future or not, but they looked sweet and were light as heck. There was an even lighter set for XC and XC racing. Oh what the heck... I looked up the thread and here it is. Scroll down to se the pictures. 2007 Ellsworth's
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I am a little afraid of the carbon but would consider them if the price was right. The aluminum is mainly what I am looking at and I can't find out anything about weight and price. Hopefully they will be available in mid March when my new bike gets here. If not I will probably go with American Classics.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I emailed Ellsworth last week (1/15) and got the following response regarding wheels:

I really don't have much info on the wheels at this time. I know they are 3 pawl, quadruple butted spokes, and pretty nice wheels all around. As far as a price, we are not sure at this time. Sorry to be so vague, but I don't want to mislead you with false info. We should have more info on them shortly.

I have a new Enlightenment on order and also looking at several wheel options. Back in December they said they would be available in January.

Time is not a road.
    I think Rich has a point...how can they compete against Mavic, DT Swiss, Hope and Chris King? Or Shimano, even? The price point would have to be astronomical.

I know carbon fiber is used in fighter plane wings and all, but how strong can those bike wheels really be? AM? Not in Colorado...cracka lackey

Why aren't you riding????
    the same way you compete with a 7k beach cruiser..........vanity..

Knomer
    Carbon rims on a mountain bike might be the funniest thing I've ever heard of.

Then again, about 60% of mountain bikers never ride in the mountains.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bottoms
    Carbon rims on a mountain bike might be the funniest thing I've ever heard of.

Then again, about 60% of mountain bikers never ride in the mountains.
    Weren't these almost carbon?

but back in the vee-brake days, you needed a brake surface. Now you don't. I wish I could comment on how you weave the fibers to keep the rim from spreading....