mtbr member
    Feb 2004

The Ellsworth website is horrible

I have always found Ellsworth's web presence mediocre at best, and the current one is just awful. Outdated info (they still refer to the Oracle as the Legend), rarely any new info, dead-end links. The latest online catalog on there is 2006.

I'm not sure if they realize it's importance, but the fact is...when we are not riding, we are thinking of riding. We're at work, or some other forsaken place, looking for our bike fix on the web! Perusing sites, ordering parts, checking out mtbr, etc. It's such an inexpensive but powerful tool. I wish they used it more effectively....for their benefit and ours...

Leash Law Enforcer
    Quote Originally Posted by mbexx
    I have always found Ellsworth's web presence mediocre at best, and the current one is just awful. Outdated info (they still refer to the Oracle as the Legend), rarely any new info, dead-end links. The latest online catalog on there is 2006.

I'm not sure if they realize it's importance, but the fact is...when we are not riding, we are thinking of riding. We're at work, or some other forsaken place, looking for our bike fix on the web! Perusing sites, ordering parts, checking out mtbr, etc. It's such an inexpensive but powerful tool. I wish they used it more effectively....for their benefit and ours...
    I actually find their website very visually appealing especially when compared with some other bike manufacturers. I agree that some of the information may be outdated though.

I whole-heartedly agree with your point about them missing out on using the Internet to its full potential. Case in point - their recent silence on this board regarding certain issues. Unfortunately, they have a very bad reputation on the web (this site in particular) and don't seem very interested in correcting it, or at least they haven't done much about it. I too wish they used it more effectively. When you really think about it, using a forum like this may really be the closest thing to free marketing (if such a thing exists).
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

mtbr member
    A bunch of their Help/FAQ links have been broken for over a half a year. For example, want to know the correct torque for your pivot bolts? Sorry, the link is broken. I called Ellsworth to ask for this info last fall and informed them of the broken link. Guess what? Still broken.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    plus, the whole store section for small parts is broken. and has been for a long, long time.

you'd think they could spend a grand to get someone to come in and fix it up.

Mtb & Bassoon player
    Yes, it is really horrible!!!

But the bikes are the best!
    Last edited by Palisworth; 02-23-2007 at 08:58 AM.

Hooray Beer!
    agreed. bikes=good, website = sux! (not sure they care, however)

We're going down WHAT??

I don't ride the bikes because of the website...

I agree, the website is short of amazing. It does't mean their bikes aren't great. A good website would possibly help with the sales of the bicycles, though I think they are busy with other things. I have found something on their website that was incorrec and informed them of it last year. Unfortunately it hasn't been corrected yet. Again, that will not stop me from purchasing another Ellsworth....
    "Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

mtbr member
    I think the website has got some great features which make it superior to the majority of other manufacturers websites. However I agree that it isn't ultilised by the company in terms of updates or even periodic reviews for maintenance. This unfortunate circumstance could be a result of pressure on the business in other areas. I live on the other side of the world but I'm guessing Ellsworth has a heavy focus on production and QA. IT and customer service may be down the list in terms of available resources. As these areas of the business are interwoven they may need to catch up the website to maintain reputation, but at the end of the day it's all about the bikes. Judging by the quality of the web applications available eg ICT presentation, the Ride etc looks like they actually don't skim the till on web design. This represents a cost to the business so I'm guessing they would be watching expenses closely. I'm sure there are legions of IT gumbies out there willing to donate their services for two fifths of five eighths.
    You know it makes sense, a good website is paydirt for very little outlay but what's the point if production can't meet demand in the first place.