VooDoo user.

Ellsworth to use DW for '09

Found this on www.ellsworthbicycles.com

Ellsworth is proud to announce its partnership with Dave Weagle of e.thirteen for the coming years, bringing renowned Ellsworth quality together with high-performance DW-link suspension. Ellsworth holds a DW-link licence as of the 2009 model year.

Tony Ellsworth, owner and proprietor of Ellsworth Bicycles, had this to say:
    "I am psyched to have Dave aboard, he brings a wealth of technical knowledge with him that will no doubt improve our product lineup to the point where there simply is no question - if you want the best, this is it. His technical acumen coupled with our legendary build quality and after-sales backup will ensure that each and every one of our customers will be blown away by their new rides."

DW-link Ellsworths will be available as of April 1, 2009. The 2008 model year will be the last to feature our ICT suspension, which is still the market leader in marketing.

Rolling
    Actually I heard that Ellsworth actually made a variation on the DW link and is now forcing Dave Weagle to pay him royalties for the DW2 Link, claiming that the basic DW link infringes on the DW2's patent.

MTB SOCAL

April Fools?

I've already been fooled twice today. I'm not getting fooled a third time. At least I hope it's a joke.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by yangpei
    I've already been fooled twice today. I'm not getting fooled a third time. At least I hope it's a joke.
    Not a joke!

Least not here, it's 22:48.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    Actually I heard that Ellsworth actually made a variation on the DW link and is now forcing Dave Weagle to pay him royalties for the DW2 Link, claiming that the basic DW link infringes on the DW2's patent.

LOL.... thats too funny..

Forgiven
    Quote Originally Posted by TIMBERRR
    Found this on www.ellsworthbicycles.com

Ellsworth is proud to announce its partnership with Dave Weagle of e.thirteen for the coming years, bringing renowned Ellsworth quality together with high-performance DW-link suspension. Ellsworth holds a DW-link licence as of the 2009 model year.

Tony Ellsworth, owner and proprietor of Ellsworth Bicycles, had this to say:
    "I am psyched to have Dave aboard, he brings a wealth of technical knowledge with him that will no doubt improve our product lineup to the point where there simply is no question - if you want the best, this is it. His technical acumen coupled with our legendary build quality and after-sales backup will ensure that each and every one of our customers will be blown away by their new rides."

DW-link Ellsworths will be available as of April 1, 2009. The 2008 model year will be the last to feature our ICT suspension, which is still the market leader in marketing.

Classic! You had me. I'm softening since F88 shut down. Any idea what Tony would call his new DW rides?? An Ellsworth 'Judas' perhaps?

VooDoo user.
    SO who's waiting for an '09?

April fools.

I saw this posted on Ridemonkey and had to "cut" and "paste" it over here. When I first saw it I nearly SHEET myself. Moments later I realized the DATE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well if this were true, the ICT and 110% efficiency would be lost and he would have to deal with 9X% efficiently..no way Tony would do that! Plus DW would not want to get sued anyway. I mean, if there is a way that can be found to sue someone........

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    We could always go Faux bar for ultimate braking and traction! Apparently the faux bar design after all these years - now works!
    "but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No way dude, that would make the bikes too stiff. That would really suck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    ah wondered when the trolls would arrive. Yep forgot to add, now with more stiffness due to now being used by DT.
    "but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't get it. Without well-engineered flex, how would a bike ride well? This is confusing. Even the experts in the Ibis forum have said this.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Dave Turner

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Okay, just playin'- you're being a good sport

Live 2 Ride
    It's funny you guys think that ICT is the best out there.
    My Bike: '15 Trek FX 7.2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197

we don't

Dave Turner

Live 2 Ride
    Fair enough.

Those who skibike, know..

this is a great forum for discussion, so...

Fair enough.
    ... Kona0197, "best" is so subjective. How about we use "efficient." What, in your comparisons, have you found to be more efficient than ICT?
    Its not the brand of the wand that matters, but the skill of the magician. (Make no mistake tho, your brand does suck butt.)

Rolling
    I knew this April fools joke would involve into some mud slinging.

LOLOLOLOLOL.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Rider x
    ... Kona0197, "best" is so subjective. How about we use "efficient." What, in your comparisons, have you found to be more efficient than ICT?
    That depends, not only do I get an extra 5 feet every furlong, but my bike pedals like a much lighter bike, I mean, how can you beat that? It pedals like a lighter bike!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Live 2 Ride
    I need to ride an Ellsworth first. So far I've only read that others are better but I need to form my own opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah, you need to do that. Don't forget to come back here and the Ibis forum to post your impressions/opinions.

Ask TIMBERR if you need help with the subject line.

Rolling
    I think the Ellsworth forum has more non-Ells owners than Ells owners viewing and posting. Wonder why that is?

Envy?
    Rubbernecking?

I know that the Kona, or Giant Forum isn't worth my time, that is for sure...Why? Not because they aren't good bike for what you pay for, it's that I have no interest in those bikes.

(especially Kona0197, who has never ridden an Ells, but he reads a lot and forms--denies it though-- strong opinions based on this reading.)

PS: I have ridden Giants and Konas.
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-02-2008 at 05:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Definitely the DW that caught my eye but how could one not be envious of you guys.

VooDoo user.
    Ellsworth isn't the best design. It's just what we prefer.

On a side note I have riden a DW bike and thought it was POO.
    I have also riden Giant, Trek, specialized, Kona, Yeti, Turner, Chumba, Santa cruz, Rocky mountain, Niner, Voodoo, Spot brand, Pivot, Moots, Wilits, Titus, Maverick, and a few others. Might not have owned all those but have had the pleasure and sometimes the mis-pleasure of riding all those brands and then some.

Damn my legs are tired.

Was I trying to make a point or something?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Haha, I'm sure you are on point but you just make me want another bike.

Live 2 Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I think the Ellsworth forum has more non-Ells owners than Ells owners viewing and posting. Wonder why that is?

Envy?
    Rubbernecking?

I know that the Kona, or Giant Forum isn't worth my time, that is for sure...Why? Not because they aren't good bike for what you pay for, it's that I have no interest in those bikes.

(especially Kona0197, who has never ridden an Ells, but he reads a lot and forms--denies it though-- strong opinions based on this reading.)

PS: I have ridden Giants and Konas.
    My opinions are not solely based on what I read.

And BTW I don't own a Kona nor hang out in the Kona forum.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My opinions are not solely based on what I read.

And BTW I don't own a Kona nor hang out in the Kona forum.

So your opinion is based on what you've read and heard? And that makes it valid how?

Give us you expert opinion. I 'read' on another forum that is kills you that people spend a lot of money on a frame. I guessing it must kill you when you see someone living in a nice big house. Some people work in Walmart and can only afford certain things, other people work in way better paid jobs (sometimes associated with more stress) and like to treat themselves on their favourite hobby. Some people have enough money to by what the hell they like without having to justify it to people like you. I own an Ells and a Turner (a no I'm not a homer), the Ellsworth is the best I've ridden 'in my opinion' for where I ride and what I do - UK, French\Swiss Alps, Spanish Sierra Nevada's.

No one on here has said it is better, most of it is just mud slinging and mickey taking.

Having said that, it looks like an old design, the faux bar, is suddenly the one to have.

Dave Turner

Not enough experience...

...I have also riden Giant, Trek, specialized, Kona, Yeti, Turner, Chumba, Santa cruz, Rocky mountain, Niner, Voodoo, Spot brand, Pivot, Moots, Wilits, Titus, Maverick, and a few others...
    What? No Huffy? No Radio Flyer? NOOOOOOBY!
    Its not the brand of the wand that matters, but the skill of the magician. (Make no mistake tho, your brand does suck butt.)

Live 2 Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakster
    So your opinion is based on what you've read and heard? And that makes it valid how?

Give us you expert opinion. I 'read' on another forum that is kills you that people spend a lot of money on a frame. I guessing it must kill you when you see someone living in a nice big house. Some people work in Walmart and can only afford certain things, other people work in way better paid jobs (sometimes associated with more stress) and like to treat themselves on their favourite hobby. Some people have enough money to by what the hell they like without having to justify it to people like you. I own an Ells and a Turner (a no I'm not a homer), the Ellsworth is the best I've ridden 'in my opinion' for where I ride and what I do - UK, French\Swiss Alps, Spanish Sierra Nevada's.

No one on here has said it is better, most of it is just mud slinging and mickey taking.

Having said that, it looks like an old design, the faux bar, is suddenly the one to have.
    My opinion is based on actually experience. And I never said any other bike is better or worse than an Ellsworth. I love it when people put words in my mouth.

It's fine to treat yourself if you can afford it. It's quite another matter to buy something expensive and rub it in someone's face. That was my whole point. Arrogance is not cool.

I'm not trying to argue what bike is best nor flame Ellsworth bikes.

And yes I work at Walmart.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My opinion is based on actually experience. And I never said any other bike is better or worse than an Ellsworth. I love it when people put words in my mouth.

It's fine to treat yourself if you can afford it. It's quite another matter to buy something expensive and rub it in someone's face. That was my whole point. Arrogance is not cool.

I'm not trying to argue what bike is best nor flame Ellsworth bikes.

And yes I work at Walmart.
    So your assumption is that if someone has a nice bike they are rubbing in your face? That hasn't happened here and no one has forced you onto this forum and made you read about them or look at pictures of them? I detect you have some kind of issue if someone owns something nice - they are a bad person, they have more money than sense, they are being arrogant and rubbing in my face etc.

And please inform us of your experience of riding Ellsworth bikes, i.e where you rode, for how long, where you rode it, what you compared it with etc. A simple question and not rubbing in your face. Still perplexed as to where you get this from?? No one here is being arrogant - please link to where you are seeing this.

Dave Turner

Live 2 Ride
    First of all I didn't bring up the whole "arrogant" and "rubbing in someone's face" issues.

I apologize if I came across as provocative. That was not my intent.

As I said before I base my opinion on experience so I will need to go ride some Ellsworth bikes before I form my opinion.

I no longer wish to argue so I'll leave.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

I have riddens ellsworth truths, 3 of them since 1995. after riding an Ibis Mojo, sold the truth.
    try one out. It would be great if Tony went with the best technology going.

Best?

Quote Originally Posted by mtbmitch2
    I have riddens ellsworth truths, 3 of them since 1995. after riding an Ibis Mojo, sold the truth.
    try one out. It would be great if Tony went with the best technology going.

"Best" ... can you be a bit more specific, i.e., performance characteristics under what conditions, etc. What about the Mojo do you prefer in order to label it "best"? What about the Ells do you prefer? If you could build the perfect bike, what would you build?

All I am trying to do is share ideas. While everything is ultimately subjective, a few objective comments would be helpful...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

yes sir!

I do think it is the best design for the type of riding I do.
    (But I haven't ridden all the brands and models out there).

How is that funny?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Smile

Don't get me wrong, the Ellsworth bikes are really good. In my opinion, the Mojo climbs better the rockier and looser it gets compared to the ellsworth truth. In snow, it is very
    obvious different, used same wheelset to be fair. Ibis is more stable at higher speeds.
    Truth was designed for norba racing, which the 2 I have ridden are not real rough
    rocky courses(wish they were though).both bikes don't need a lockout in rear.
    The mojo is lighter than the epiiphany and costs less. need to ride both to see
    which you prefer.
    bottom line

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    First of all I didn't bring up the whole "arrogant" and "rubbing in someone's face" issues.

As I said before I base my opinion on experience so I will need to go ride some Ellsworth bikes before I form my opinion.

Thanks.
    You're a very strange one. You are the only person to mention arrogant and rubbing in someone's face issues ( I suggest you check the thread, do search and you'll find it's only you), and then say you didn't bring it up? Weird. You also said you had an opinion based on experience about Ells and then you go on to say you've never ridden one? No one is having a go at you, it's just you write some odd things and don't seem to have answers when people ask. No one is arguing with you just asking questions.

Nice of you to pop by though.
    Last edited by Zakster; 04-03-2008 at 11:15 AM.

Dave Turner

~~~
    Ellsworth isn't the best design. It's just what we prefer.

On a side note I have riden a DW bike and thought it was POO.
    I have also riden Giant, Trek, specialized, Kona, Yeti, Turner, Chumba, Santa cruz, Rocky mountain, Niner, Voodoo, Spot brand, Pivot, Moots, Wilits, Titus, Maverick, and a few others. Might not have owned all those but have had the pleasure and sometimes the mis-pleasure of riding all those brands and then some.

Damn my legs are tired.

Was I trying to make a point or something?
    Funny. I demoed an Ibis Mojo, and I really liked it. Guy I bought my Moment from also had tried an Ibis, and it just didn't work for him. Most of his rides are now Intenses with VPP.

Was the DW bike you tried a Pivot? I'd be interested in trying out a Pivot. Early reviews seem really positive. Good thing we both ride Ells, otherwise I'd have to call you names for not liking a DW bike.

Live 2 Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakster
    You're a very strange one. You are the only person to mention arrogant and rubbing in someone's face issues ( I suggest you check the thread, do search and you'll find it's only you), and then say you didn't bring it up? Weird. You also said you had an opinion based on experience about Ells and then you go on to say you've never ridden one? No one is having a go at you, it's just you write some odd things and don't seem to have answers when people ask. No one is arguing with you just asking questions.

Nice of you to pop by though.
    I apologize for bringing up the arrogance and rubbing it in people's face comeents.

However I never said I rode an Ellsworth. I said I need to ride one so I can form an opinion of them.

Thanks for the reply though. I know I can be a bit off the wall.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tburger
    Funny. I demoed an Ibis Mojo, and I really liked it. Guy I bought my Moment from also had tried an Ibis, and it just didn't work for him. Most of his rides are now Intenses with VPP.

Was the DW bike you tried a Pivot? I'd be interested in trying out a Pivot. Early reviews seem really positive. Good thing we both ride Ells, otherwise I'd have to call you names for not liking a DW bike.
    I seem to recall that the mtbr reviews of pivot from the dirt demo at interbike were not great. Not that the pivots were not good, just that they didn't impress as much as other bikes.

Chris Cocalis Pivot Bikes I-Bike Tests

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMBOLAYA
    I seem to recall that the mtbr reviews of pivot from the dirt demo at interbike were not great. Not that the pivots were not good, just that they didn't impress as much as other bikes.

Chris Cocalis Pivot Bikes I-Bike Tests
    Excellent. Thanks for the link!

Gee, Speedgoat raves about the Pivot...

Amphibious Technologies
    Excellent. Thanks for the link!
    Gee, Speedgoat raves about the Pivot...
    The demo bikes at Interbike apparently had shocks that were not to spec - too much compression damping. So they rode harsh.
    "The best you've ridden is the best you know" - Paul Thede, Race Tech

Rolling
    Did you learn to argue from watching George Bush talk?

This is a classic. I read it over and over and still can't believe you wrote what that.

Are you saying your really haven't formed an opinon o Ellsworths, despite all your posts in the past that indicate otherwise?

You're kidding right?

BTW, why is your handle kona and you have a kona clump avatar yet you ride Giant, and furthermore, defend that you don't ride a Kona. You are what I might call "contradictions gone wild."

PS: the best bike design in the end is a bike you like and ride. Some miracle in technology could come out and if it sits in your garage, it's merely clutter, might as well have it in the living room so you can call it art.
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-03-2008 at 07:33 PM.

VooDoo user.
    What? No Huffy? No Radio Flyer? NOOOOOOBY!
    Actually no Huffy. Schwinn, Jamis, and yes a Radio flyer wagon.

Still a NOOBY though.

VooDoo user.

Yes the Dw I rode was a Pivot. The geometry was too XC for me. I felt real stetched out. Also the HA is steeper than I like. The 5" felt more like 4" of travel. It is quite efficient. Better than ICT? Not in my opinion.
    I think it would be a great bike for someone comming off a Hardtail mtn bike that likes to do xc racing or Xterra.

Again this is just my opinion.

Perhaps the Ibis utilizes the DW better. Haven't riden one yet so we'll see.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Thanks.
    Hey dont leave , we need you around for amusement .

Hey but to be fair am sure at least 99% of the world's population would be shocked or would not be able to believe that people would spend 2 grand on a frame , so you are not alone . Hey , am sure my mother in law would have the same opinions as you on the sensibility of riding an Ells if she knew WTF my bike cost .

Forgiven
    Perhaps the Ibis utilizes the DW better. Haven't riden one yet so we'll see.
    Get on an Ibis Mojo! The bikes rip! I chose my Epi over the Mojo in the end but, if I could afford to have both I would in a heartbeat. A buddy set his Mojo up all mountain and our crew is blown away by it. DW fairs really well next to ICT.