mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Ellsworth Truth Setup

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a 2004 Ellsworth Truth frame and I'm starting to build it up. I'm wondering a few things. I am planning on switching out the shock that it's coming with (Fox Float R) to a 5th Element Air. Does anyone know the eye to eye length and the stroke length for the Truth?

Also, I am planning on getting either the Fox F80X or F100X for the front. I know the bike will accept either size, but I'm wondering which one would be better. I'm planning on using the bike for general trail riding and racing. Thank you for your time.

Chris

sock puppet

i have exactly the same setup that you are trying to build...

5th element is 7.875x2.00 i believe and i went with F100X since i am doing mostly trail riding and occasionaly 24 hour racing.... It's been great combination so far. Very adjustable and reliable...

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx
    Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a 2004 Ellsworth Truth frame and I'm starting to build it up. I'm wondering a few things. I am planning on switching out the shock that it's coming with (Fox Float R) to a 5th Element Air. Does anyone know the eye to eye length and the stroke length for the Truth?

Also, I am planning on getting either the Fox F80X or F100X for the front. I know the bike will accept either size, but I'm wondering which one would be better. I'm planning on using the bike for general trail riding and racing. Thank you for your time.

Chris

mtbr member

Set Up

I'm also using hte 100x and love it. This is my second Truth and would highly reccoemnd using SRAM rear derailer etc. I had the XTR set up before and this works MUCH better

sock puppet

Hmmm, interesting...

i cant get XTR rear der setup properly still... maybe SRAM is tha way to go....

oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    I'm also using hte 100x and love it. This is my second Truth and would highly reccoemnd using SRAM rear derailer etc. I had the XTR set up before and this works MUCH better

mtbr member

Xtr

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    i cant get XTR rear der setup properly still... maybe SRAM is tha way to go....

oh well...
    Trust me, there is a huge differance in an Ellsworth between shimano and sram. I'm not going to get in to why, just trust me SRAM is the way to go with that bike. I made the switch and could not beleive how much better it shifts AND the chain slap is 10x less going downhill

Obviously Single

f100x should work, if ...

Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx
    Hello Everyone,

Chris
    I have a fairly new Truth, and I got the 5th element on it. I already had a fairly new
    F100X which I also put on it. It feels so sweet, it's hard to explain.

Which is why I'm bummin' so much right now -- my F100x is leaking air! And it's
    only about 4 month old! It's already taken a trip back to the factory (under warranty)
    once, so it's started to smell like a lemon fork! Funny thing is nobody else seems
    to have problems with these babies, so I assume it's some sort of fluke (or the
    universe getting even with me, which is always a possibility).

I also have the SRAM X/O rear der. and shifters. I have had no problems.

Enjoy the joy of Truth.
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Trail rider and racer
    Hi ctxcrossx,

Congratulations on picking up a 2004 Truth. I have no doubts that you will get much pleasure out of the bike, honestly all the reviews and comments are true and spot on about the bike and its ride. The bike acts so nimble and quick in single track and tracks downhill like a hot knife through butter. I love its fast nimble feel, climbing ability and all round finesse no matter what the trail conditions.

With regards to fork options - It should be a no brainer in putting a F100X up front. Its stiff, Fox PLUSH, and really good in performing its primary function of being efficient. That is what I put on the front of mine and I think that it is the right choice. I strongly suggest no matter what fork you get, you get a 4"/100mm fork. I think the Truth would feel quite unbalanced and perhaps twitchy with a 80mm.

IMHO Components are the easy thing: SR@M XO shifters and XO rear derailleur or if you want trigger shifters I would use the X9 shifters. With regards to brakes I would choose Magura Marta SLs, Hope Mono Mini, Sh!mano XT/XTR combination or perhaps even some formula B4SL. For cranks, I can only provide a biased opinion in using the FSA Carbon Pros with either an XT or ISIS BB. XTR cranks are good too, and so are the XT ones and even R@ce f@ce cranks. Pedals, again either Sh!mano 959s or Time pedals. For my build I bought some Twin Tis and was far from impressed with the performance after 5 months. So much so that I got rid of them.

King headset is a must too!
    Trev!

mtbr member

Compatibility question

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Trust me, there is a huge differance in an Ellsworth between shimano and sram. I'm not going to get in to why, just trust me SRAM is the way to go with that bike. I made the switch and could not beleive how much better it shifts AND the chain slap is 10x less going downhill
    I have an 04 Truth w/ 03 XTR disc group...it takes a while for me to dial in the rear derailleur and yeah, I've noticed the chain slap. I'm curious, can you run an SRAM X.0 with the 03 XTR dual control levers?

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by thegood
    I have an 04 Truth w/ 03 XTR disc group...it takes a while for me to dial in the rear derailleur and yeah, I've noticed the chain slap. I'm curious, can you run an SRAM X.0 with the 03 XTR dual control levers?
    No different actuation ratios are used on the deraileurs. SR@M using 1:1 and Shimano 2:1 or whatever....
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    ....... Funny thing is nobody else seems
    to have problems with these babies, so I assume it's some sort of fluke (or the
    universe getting even with me, which is always a possibility).......
    My buds F100x seals blew after 4 months, squirted all his oil out during a race.
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    5th element is 7.875x2.00 i believe and i went with F100X since i am doing mostly trail riding and occasionaly 24 hour racing.... It's been great combination so far. Very adjustable and reliable...

good luck
    I thought the 5th air does not have the air volume of an AVA shock. Did it make your bike feel harsher and ramp up quicker when compared to the AVA shock?

mtbr member

F100X seals

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    My buds F100x seals blew after 4 months, squirted all his oil out during a race.I thought the 5th air does not have the air volume of an AVA shock. Did it make your bike feel harsher and ramp up quicker when compared to the AVA shock?
    My F100X seals went after about 8 months...had to send the fork back to Fox in early May...haven't got it back yet

But I've been spending a lot of quality time on my hardtail

Obviously Single
    Quote Originally Posted by thegood
    My F100X seals went after about 8 months...had to send the fork back to Fox in early May...haven't got it back yet

But I've been spending a lot of quality time on my hardtail
    Over a month!?

I was told Fox turn around time is only 1 week. Did they send your shock
    via donkey train?
    The Lee-Man

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeMan
    Over a month!?

I was told Fox turn around time is only 1 week. Did they send your shock
    via donkey train?
    Nah, I think it was sent via the Pony Express...to boot, I called Fox about the delay, and they said they would ship it back via 2-day air. But guess what...they forgot, and they sent it ground on June 3rd...haven't got it back yet

Oh well.

sock puppet

i am a hardtail convert...

Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    My buds F100x seals blew after 4 months, squirted all his oil out during a race.I thought the 5th air does not have the air volume of an AVA shock. Did it make your bike feel harsher and ramp up quicker when compared to the AVA shock?
    never used Fox AVA rear shock so i cant compare. 5th is doing everything i need it to do. I can make it stiff, i can make it plush. right now i have settled for a stiffer ride as i prefer it that way...

other reviewers pointed out that 5th could be setup to be as plush as AVA...