LBS Manager

Ellsworth torque spec

Does anyone else find the torque spec on the Ellsworth mounting hardware a little scary. I greased my pivots today because they were creaking realy bad and I called Ellsworth because I didn't believe the Torque spec sheet I have. I thought those bolts would snap or strip well before I reached the called for torque.

keepin' it rural

torque sheet...

hey, where did you find a torque sheet? can you post that info?...

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by summud
    hey, where did you find a torque sheet? can you post that info?...
    Paul from Ellsworth emailed me the info. here it is

Bolt Torque Specs:
    Sex bolts (axles)- 20 ft lbs./ 27.1 nm
    8mm (small bolts) -15 ft lbs./ 20.3 nm
    Shock bolts - 15-20 ft lbs./ 20.3-27.1 nm

BEARINGS: What maintenance is required on your bearing systems?
    The sealed bearing pivots are engineered oversized and sturdy to last many years under normal use. They are very resistant to dust, mud, riding through creeks and even leaving your bike out in the rain. Pressure washing them at a car wash or with a jet spray nozzle will force water past the rubber seals and is not recommended. Our experience is that the bearings/pivots are going to be maintenance free for years. If you notice that they have become contaminated with water or whatever, you can simply pop the rubber seal on each cartridge on the accessible side (the side you look at) and re-grease them with Ellsworth factory grease, or any high quality non-migrating (sticky) waterproof grease. Here are the step by step instructions:
    1. Remove the pivot bolts to give you access to the rubber seals on the cartridge bearings.
    2. With a small pick, gently and carefully remove the rubber seals on the bearings, being careful not to puncture or bend them so they will reseal when you reassemble them.
    3. If you wish, you can clean them by spraying a greaseless solvent (lacquer thinner or other solvents in a spray bottle will work, be careful to choose a thinner that will not harm the anodized finish on the frame).
    4. Let them air dry or use rubbing alcohol so the thinner is all evaporated and won't contaminate the new grease your going to install.
    5. Work the Ellsworth Factory Grease with a clean finger pushing it into the bearing cartridge as you rotate it.
    6. Replace the seal.
    7. Reinstall the pivot bolt using BLUE Loc-Tite 242 on the 8mm bolts. No Loc-Tite is necessary on the 12mm sex pins.

keepin' it rural
    awesome!...thanks...

LBS Manager
    Don't use the specs that I stated above. Ellsworth calls for that, however, the bolts they supply are too soft for that much torque and will round out.

keepin' it rural
    no worries, i've taken my frame completely apart before, and i had the torque values then, but i misplaced them, but i remember thinking the same thing. but if memory serves i used about 5ft/lbs less than they recommended and i've had no problems...i just needed the original values again. thanks again.