Thread: Ellsworth Store

mtbr member

Ellsworth Store

G'day mates,

Has anyone dealt with the Ellsworth online store to make a purchase? If so please tell us how it went and if it's OK and legit because I want to buy some bling carbon wheels.

Thanks

Jimmy

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy L
    G'day mates,

Has anyone dealt with the Ellsworth online store to make a purchase? If so please tell us how it went and if it's OK and legit because I want to buy some bling carbon wheels.

Thanks

Jimmy
    Jimmy:
    First, I guess I'm a little surprised hordes of TE-haters haven't descended on this thread yet. Probably they haven't found it yet.
    I haven't bought the wheelsets from Ellsworth, but I am a happy Ellsworth frames owner. I offer the following points of view:
    1. This is a new line for Ellsworth. They started offering wheelsets online less than two months ago. Since you are in Australia, maybe you don't want to be one of their first international customer support test cases, especially when dealing with carbon
    2. Why not go with a more proven vendor, say something like DT Swiss? When you order your carbon rim wheelset from Ells you are also going to get their hubs and spokes, right? With no reviews, there's no way to know what this hub is really like.
    3. Ells carbon wheelset is actually heavier than their aluminum one. The DT Swiss carbon rim is 70 g less than the lightest aluminum one.
    4. Do you really need a pre-built wheelset to be shipped to you? Why not just order the best-reviewed parts separately and have your LBS do the build? If you don't trust that you could contact these guys and ask them if they can do the DT Swiss build in carbon for you:
    http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/
    They are a sponsor of MTBR so that's nice of them.

You do realize that these wheels are going to cost you more than a $1000 than anything else in aluminum? You can buy a lot of other bling for $1000

mtbr member
    Cheer for the reply. I was really chasing some first hand info on the wheels and stuff along with dealing direct with Ellsworth so I guess that's something. There is no doubt the jury will be out on the wheels especially the carbon. I'd have the same concerns with the stuff, I've snapped a easton monkeylite riser bar in a stack and smashed into a tree at 25km/ hr buckling a spinergy rim. What would happen to a carbon rim? But there's a few manufacturers producing carbon MTB frames with lifetime warranty so maybe carbon is super tough these days and can work in rims.

Anyway Ellsworth was awesome in replacing the mag rocker on my Epi

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Cheer for the reply. I was really chasing some first hand info on the wheels and stuff along with dealing direct with Ellsworth so I guess that's something. There is no doubt the jury will be out on the wheels especially the carbon. I'd have the same concerns with the stuff, I've snapped a easton monkeylite riser bar in a stack and smashed into a tree at 25km/ hr buckling a spinergy rim. What would happen to a carbon rim? But there's a few manufacturers producing carbon MTB frames with lifetime warranty so maybe carbon is super tough these days and can work in rims.

Anyway Ellsworth was awesome in replacing the mag rocker on my Epi
    Well, if you do order from Ellsworth, let us know how they work out. Since all this stuff is new for them I wonder if anyone at all has tried them yet. As far as the logistics of ordering there shouldn't be any issues. It looks like standard e-commerce stuff.
    Did you order your frame (or full bike) from a local distributor/dealer and then deal directly with Ellsworth for resolving the rocker issue? Wasn't your local supplier helpful in handling the problem? If people don't buy their frame direct from Ellsworth, I don't understand why they have to go back to Ellsworth to resolve a rocker or any other warranty issue?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHorse
    Well, if you do order from Ellsworth, let us know how they work out. Since all this stuff is new for them I wonder if anyone at all has tried them yet. As far as the logistics of ordering there shouldn't be any issues. It looks like standard e-commerce stuff.
    Did you order your frame (or full bike) from a local distributor/dealer and then deal directly with Ellsworth for resolving the rocker issue? Wasn't your local supplier helpful in handling the problem? If people don't buy their frame direct from Ellsworth, I don't understand why they have to go back to Ellsworth to resolve a rocker or any other warranty issue?
    BTW Nice Epiphany Old Horse. I have mine set up with some similar components. The local Ellsworth distributor here in Australia wasn't any help to me I'd still be waiting if I used them. I lost contact with the guy who got me the frameset.

Apparently and I found out from this forum that the issue arose with the machining of the magnesium rocker on the first batch or something. A few pictures of ones that snapped showed up on the forum and some discussion around that. My uncle checked my serial with BikeSmith in NZ and it's one of the first ones and sure enough I noticed the rocker had a small crack starting. I e-mailed Ellsworth and they were across the issue and standing behind their product and advised me to return the rocker direct them. The whole thing took two weeks and I was happy.

I'm sure I could get some very nice wheelsets local and not have to pay 40% freight but it's like this- I just want it dude. It's got Ellsworths on it, that bike changed my freaking life man!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    BTW Nice Epiphany Old Horse. I have mine set up with some similar components. The local Ellsworth distributor here in Australia wasn't any help to me I'd still be waiting if I used them. I lost contact with the guy who got me the frameset.

Apparently and I found out from this forum that the issue arose with the machining of the magnesium rocker on the first batch or something. A few pictures of ones that snapped showed up on the forum and some discussion around that. My uncle checked my serial with BikeSmith in NZ and it's one of the first ones and sure enough I noticed the rocker had a small crack starting. I e-mailed Ellsworth and they were across the issue and standing behind their product and advised me to return the rocker direct them. The whole thing took two weeks and I was happy.

I'm sure I could get some very nice wheelsets local and not have to pay 40% freight but it's like this- I just want it dude. It's got Ellsworths on it, that bike changed my freaking life man!!!
    Its great to hear stories of happy Ells customers. Offsets some of the negativity that gets tossed out on the forum from time to time. I hope I never have a problem with my mag rocker, but its good to know that I will be taken care of it happens.
    I also love my Epi. I have the Truth as well and have vowed I will keep it riding it. But, when it comes time to go out the door its hard to leave the Epi at home
    I didn't think about the brand-name bling factor on the Ells wheels. I re-checked the image on their website and it does have Ellsworth stamped boldly around the rim. That;s a plus. One note: They don't list any specs on the hub that I could find, they look like 6 bolt mounting.
    You got me excited about the bling factor so I decided to go ahead and replace my DW steel skewers with a Ti Ellsworth set. In fact, they are on sale (50% off) at Beyond:
    http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ItemDe...SKE%2Dellswort

locked - time out
    Aug 2007
    hey mate. i have an ellsworth also and while i believe they make great frames i would have a problem dropping two grand on a set of unproven wheels just because they say ellsworth on them. get yourself a nice set of kings or hopes or industry nines with a good mavic rim and dt spokes. any of these are easy to service and true yourself or at your lbs. also parts are readily available anywhere in the world and they too have bling factor. it is kind of retarded just to buy something because it has a name on it. i bought an ellsworth because it was on sale and it was made in the us with a proven suspension design not ecause ellsworth has a great website or the fact that the suspension is 110% efficent. sometimes youve got to look past the bs and get something because it works not because a marketing guy told you it was great. i have three sets of kings and they are great. 5 year warranty easily serviced and bomb proof. for 2000 dolars i could get three more sets of them or a complete new frame and fork.

mtbr member
    Good point- I've been looking at the Kings, and I9s for awhile.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The local Ellsworth distributor here in Australia wasn't any help to me I'd still be waiting if I used them.
    Hi Ellsworth fans

Just as an off topic, but relevant post none the less, this goes out to all Australian viewers.

Dirt Works did have a handful of first production Epi frames with the less reliable rocker All warranty issues have been resolved within 10 days of consumer contact. Dirt Works also keeps a spare rocker on hand at all times in order to ensure efficient warranty resolution should need be.

I believe some bad blood may exist between jimmy L and our organisation stemming from the origin of his frame and some silly stuff back in the day (boys and toys..). All warranty issues that have been bought to the attention of Dirt Works have been resolved in full.

If you want to buy an Ellsworth in Australia don't be scared. Dirt Works is pretty much the most consumer accesible wholesaler in the country!

I won't reply to PM's, additional posts etc here, I created this user identity with the sole purpose of this single post. If you need to ask, pick up the phone and call us 02 9679 8400, or email ellsworth@dirtworks.com.au

And jimmy L, life changing is one way to describe the Ellsworth ride! Glad you're loving your Epiphany as much as I love my Truth.

Peace out

Pat @ DW.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    For roughly around 500 bucks you can get a wheel set built with Hope pro II hubs , DT swiss spokes and rims . It would probably even perform better than a Ellsworth wheel ( a guess since I have never tried one ) . I would stick with going with a company's core competency , for them ( Ells ) its frames . But hey , if it turns out to be the best wheelset in the world and would make a world of difference , I'll be eating my words if I buy one.

If its bling , assuming your part selection is representative of the money you blew on the frame , you've probably *****slapped all the taiwanese bike riders on the trail with your rig.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydg
    If its bling , assuming your part selection is representative of the money you blew on the frame , you've probably *****slapped all the taiwanese bike riders on the trail with your rig.
    He wants Ells bling and I know where he is coming from For sure he is happy-slapping everyone else on the trail. I'm doing the same thing to the taiwan bikes here and it feels great even though I know its the bike and not me.
    I was following a guy downhill riding a taiwan bike just to see how he handled stuff. Long-travel no-name fork, full suspension and the whole thing. Sure enough, each time he hit an obstacle, the front end lifted up ever so slightly, shifted to the right and he "lost the line". He had no flow. Of course, the Epi just swallowed it all and said "give me more"
    You just gotta luv "early adopters". They'll go and buy the leading edge stuff and they get the bragging rights for it. If it breaks, just suck it up and move on. "Mainstream" riders benefit from the experience.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ells@DW
    Hi Ellsworth fans

Just as an off topic, but relevant post none the less, this goes out to all Australian viewers.

Dirt Works did have a handful of first production Epi frames with the less reliable rocker All warranty issues have been resolved within 10 days of consumer contact. Dirt Works also keeps a spare rocker on hand at all times in order to ensure efficient warranty resolution should need be.

I believe some bad blood may exist between jimmy L and our organisation stemming from the origin of his frame and some silly stuff back in the day (boys and toys..). All warranty issues that have been bought to the attention of Dirt Works have been resolved in full.

If you want to buy an Ellsworth in Australia don't be scared. Dirt Works is pretty much the most consumer accesible wholesaler in the country!

I won't reply to PM's, additional posts etc here, I created this user identity with the sole purpose of this single post. If you need to ask, pick up the phone and call us 02 9679 8400, or email ellsworth@dirtworks.com.au

And jimmy L, life changing is one way to describe the Ellsworth ride! Glad you're loving your Epiphany as much as I love my Truth.

Peace out

Pat @ DW.
    Thanks for the heads up- no hard feelings about our little blue. On a positive note I can say Dirt Works have been helpful when I was making enquires etc. It was a pity the timing was a little out or I could've been riding a dirtworks Id. The excellent Dirtworks catalogue is always doing the rounds up here in the workplace, thanks to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHorse
    He wants Ells bling and I know where he is coming from For sure he is happy-slapping everyone else on the trail. I'm doing the same thing to the taiwan bikes here and it feels great even though I know its the bike and not me.
    I was following a guy downhill riding a taiwan bike just to see how he handled stuff. Long-travel no-name fork, full suspension and the whole thing. Sure enough, each time he hit an obstacle, the front end lifted up ever so slightly, shifted to the right and he "lost the line". He had no flow. Of course, the Epi just swallowed it all and said "give me more"
    You just gotta luv "early adopters". They'll go and buy the leading edge stuff and they get the bragging rights for it. If it breaks, just suck it up and move on. "Mainstream" riders benefit from the experience.

A "those that ride know moment". Even though I still bomb downhill on a clunky old single speed HT from time to time, I know what you mean dude. Ellsworth's a trick ride man.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am actually looking at getting a moment with their AM wheels. I will let you know how they are if i get it. I am so pumped. 2008 moment

locked - time out
    Aug 2007
    why is anyone interested in their wheels. they are a frame builder. i have a moment and i couldn't care less that they are making wheels. i will stick with someone who specializes in wheels and that are cheaper and proven. don't be a guinea pig use your head.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have a buddy that works at Ells and he is going to let me try a pair.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Can you find out if these are made in house or subcontracted ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    delete
    Last edited by jjcools; 01-25-2008 at 07:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydg
    Can you find out if these are made in house or subcontracted ?

They are subbed out. He said they are hand built buy some guy, they are really wide to allow a nice size footprint for traction.

HIYAH
    Did anyone notice how cheap these wheels are??!!

I will buy two pairs!

Seriously, why reinvent the...
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

VooDoo user.
    I have seen them first hand and were not that impressed. Especially for the $$$. Not enough bling for the CHING CHING. Engagement is no where near as good as Kings.

I'll take a King set any day. Tried and TRUE ( no pun intended )

Just my .02