mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Ellsworth Moment or Ano 5 Spot?

I'm 6'2 230# . I am looking for a bike that is a trail bike , rocks , 3ft drops etc. I have a 2004 Ellsworth Truth and love the climbing ability of the bike. I want a bikethat climbs and descends very well. Plush and alot of fun.

Brass Nipples!

Lots of posts on the Turner board

Both bikes are very similar. If you're keeping the Truth, I'd strongly consider the Moment.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

mtbr member
    May 2004

I.C.T. Technology

Both bikes are great. The 5’er uses bushings and Zirk grease fittings; Ellsworth uses all sealed cartridge bearings. The MOMENT has 1.2” more travel. Both bikes pedal great. The MOMENT comes with a FOX DHX 5.0 option. The Spot rear shock fitment is a
    No-Go with the FOX DHX 5.0. Either way you’re stoked.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth Bicycles
    The Spot rear shock fitment is a
    No-Go with the FOX DHX 5.0.
    Once again, Ellsworth distorts the truth (pun intended). At least you knobs are consistent...

The Fox DHX 5.0 fits just fine on large, x-large, or XXL 5spots.

Since the OP is 6'2" I doubt he's looking to buy a medium or small.

"Its All Good"
    Here we go again, Ellsworth make a comment that is not being critical or attacking other brands but because its not 100%, lets just kick there asses. What a crock. Let it go bro. This bollcoks gets tiring...........
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member

5 Spot V Moment

Is Elsworth saying that the Moment has 6.2" of travel or that Turner is lying about having 5" of travel?

Jm.
    mtbr member
    the id is a freak of nature geometry wise..it's about 2" higher than the 5-spot.

you could stay tuned for the 2005 turne 6pack, a 6" travel 5 spot...
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Here we go again, Ellsworth make a comment that is not being critical or attacking other brands but because its not 100%, lets just kick there asses. What a crock. Let it go bro. This bollcoks gets tiring...........
    So it's a crock when someone corrects the latest round of Ellsworth misinformation?

You would rather have inaccurate information spread rather than reading the truth (pun intended again)?

You're one wacky dooooood...

p.s. if you think that's "kicking there(sic) asses" you must be an extremely fragile individual.

p.p.s. The comment was 100% inaccurate in this instance because of the guy's size. HTH.

mtbr member
    get the moment with a DHX like bob the wheel builders...his is nice...

E~Pluribus Unum
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth Bicycles
    Both bikes are great. The 5’er uses bushings and Zirk grease fittings; Ellsworth uses all sealed cartridge bearings. The MOMENT has 1.2” more travel. Both bikes pedal great. The MOMENT comes with a FOX DHX 5.0 option. The Spot rear shock fitment is a
    No-Go with the FOX DHX 5.0. Either way you’re stoked.

The DHX 5.0 does fit a medium 5er with the blue adjuster taken off. I've been riding one for over week with no problems.

Moment = 6.2" of travel? I wanna see it.

mtbr member
    If you take the spring off of your shock and push it down all the way thenyou can see the travel on it

E~Pluribus Unum
    Quote Originally Posted by OneBlueJoker
    If you take the spring off of your shock and push it down all the way thenyou can see the travel on it
    I'm quite familar with how to measure rear wheel travel-Thank you.

The reponse was guided to Mr. Ellsworth to show that the Moment gets 6.2" as he claims.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Cant even post about Ellsworth anymore.

Is it just me or does the majority of the biking world hate Ellsworth. There is a thread under the FR/DH category concerning a rider choosing between a Bullit and a Joker. I ride a Joker and I think it is a great bike. I posted what I thought to help the rider make his decision and it turned into an all out flame fest against Ellsworth bikes. Your bike sucks, Ellsworth sucks blah, blah. All the poor dude wanted was some simple answers about a couple of bikes and the thread turned into an Ellsworth good or evil topic. It is pathetic. I dont care for more than a few bike companies out there but I dont flame everytime I see a post on one of them. If you dont like Ellsworth fine but surely you flamers must have something better to do than put down the bike company you dont like. There is a lot of Ellsworth customers that are more than happy with their bike and I am one of them.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronny
    Is it just me or does the majority of the biking world hate Ellsworth. There is a thread under the FR/DH category concerning a rider choosing between a Bullit and a Joker. I ride a Joker and I think it is a great bike. I posted what I thought to help the rider make his decision and it turned into an all out flame fest against Ellsworth bikes. Your bike sucks, Ellsworth sucks blah, blah. All the poor dude wanted was some simple answers about a couple of bikes and the thread turned into an Ellsworth good or evil topic. It is pathetic. I dont care for more than a few bike companies out there but I dont flame everytime I see a post on one of them. If you dont like Ellsworth fine but surely you flamers must have something better to do than put down the bike company you dont like. There is a lot of Ellsworth customers that are more than happy with their bike and I am one of them.
    Where to start?

First of all, do you think that there is POSSIBLY something to it if everyone "hates" ellsworth? Hmm..

And secondly, I am familier with the thread you are talking about in the DH section. There were some people pushing the joker with some great advice such as; "it's a single pivot so it will pedal really well", and "build it up with a Z150 so it will be real light". A 7lb fork is hardly "light", and single pivots do not pedal well, it's just a fact of life. They can pedal ok, but when they pedal "well" it's the shock doing that, not because tony ellsworth somehow happened upon the holy-grail of single pivot technology. There's also other factual information that was passed in that thread, such as the sketchy warrenty, the fact that tony ellsworth is a liar and has terrible business practices. These are not opinions, these are documented facts. Sorry if the "truth" hurts, but that is what it is. So basically there were about 2 guys that seemed to think that just because they rode a joker that it was the best bike in the world, unfortunatly they can't see the forest for the trees. Not only that, but they were making completely idiodic statements in general, so what did you expect? That everyone would support their idiodic logic? Wow...
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaTime
    I'm 6'2 230# . I am looking for a bike that is a trail bike , rocks , 3ft drops etc. I have a 2004 Ellsworth Truth and love the climbing ability of the bike. I want a bikethat climbs and descends very well. Plush and alot of fun.
    Have you contacted Ellsworth about trade-in options? I know that for some folks (usually with warranty issues, which I submit at your size are forthcoming if you stick with the Truth) they will do a trade for a more appropriate model.

Having said that, I think the Spot is a better ride. I have an XCE, and can attest to the stiffness afforded by the bushing system. Another often overlooked advantage of the bushings weight. By saving weight off the pivots DT can build with a beefier tubeset and come out the same on weight, even a bit ahead. The Moment is heavier than the Spot, but I would contend that a lot of that weight is the bearings and the massive swingarm, not the strength of the tubeset. This would definitely be a major concern of mine if I weighed what you did (FYI I'm also 6'2", but about 195-200).

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I see the forest just fine thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Where to start?

First of all, do you think that there is POSSIBLY something to it if everyone "hates" ellsworth? Hmm..

And secondly, I am familier with the thread you are talking about in the DH section. There were some people pushing the joker with some great advice such as; "it's a single pivot so it will pedal really well", and "build it up with a Z150 so it will be real light". A 7lb fork is hardly "light", and single pivots do not pedal well, it's just a fact of life. They can pedal ok, but when they pedal "well" it's the shock doing that, not because tony ellsworth somehow happened upon the holy-grail of single pivot technology. There's also other factual information that was passed in that thread, such as the sketchy warrenty, the fact that tony ellsworth is a liar and has terrible business practices. These are not opinions, these are documented facts. Sorry if the "truth" hurts, but that is what it is. So basically there were about 2 guys that seemed to think that just because they rode a joker that it was the best bike in the world, unfortunatly they can't see the forest for the trees. Not only that, but they were making completely idiodic statements in general, so what did you expect? That everyone would support their idiodic logic? Wow...
    First of all there was more than two guys supporting the Joker. Second of all a single crown 6" or the new 7" SC fork will save you close to 2lbs compared to a double crown. A single crown is a better all around fork and is lighter than a double. That is what the fork statement is about. As far as pedaling is concerned I find that the Joker pedals excellent. It takes more than a good shock to make a 7" bike ride like a 5" bike. All of the bikes out right now have stable platform technology and I found that the Joker out performed all of the long travel bikes "that I rode" for pedaling efficiency. This is my opinion.

You are completely predictable. The bashfest begins again. Calling people Idiots because they are making supportive statements about their bikes. People are entitled to their opinions. Just because you dont agree does not make their statements idiotic. I have rode, Hecklers, Bullits, Bighits, Konas, Liquids, Geminis, and I chose the Joker because it felt the best to me. I like many different bikes and just because I ride a Joker I dont think it is the best bike in the world. It works for me and that is what matters. For versatility there is maybe two bikes that match it IMO.

You tell me where the idiotic logic lies. Am I an idiot because I like my bike? Am I an idiot because I try to give people advice about choosing a bike and people such as yourself choose to destroy a thread by starting a flame and bashfest? I wrote that I weigh 215lbs and have not broke my frame after abusing rides. This is a supportive statement saying that the frame can handle abuse. Idiotic? I wrote this so people like you would take the hint and start to post useful discussions on this site rather than juvenile bash & flame fests that solve absolutely nothing.
    Last edited by ronny; 08-13-2004 at 01:24 PM. Reason: more input

Jm.
    mtbr member
    First of all there was more than two guys supporting the Joker. Second of all a single crown 6" or the new 7" SC fork will save you close to 2lbs compared to a double crown..
    Yeah, please explain to me how a 7.5lb marzocchi 888 (7") is 2lbs heavier than a 7lb Z150.

Better yet, explain to me how a 6.4lb manitou slider + is 2lbs heavier than a 7lb Z150.

When you are finished with those two, you can then explain to me how a boxxer is 2lbs heavier than a 7lb Z150.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    Yeah, please explain to me how a 7.5lb marzocchi 888 (7") is 2lbs heavier than a 7lb Z150.

Better yet, explain to me how a 6.4lb manitou slider + is 2lbs heavier than a 7lb Z150.

When you are finished with those two, you can then explain to me how a boxxer is 2lbs heavier than a 7lb Z150.

It's because he and Tony use special calculators that follow the special math rules in the state of Ellsworthia.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Naw, this "special math" is not even Tony's fault, it exists here in cyberspace

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by NAHTNOJ
    Have you contacted Ellsworth about trade-in options? I know that for some folks (usually with warranty issues, which I submit at your size are forthcoming if you stick with the Truth) they will do a trade for a more appropriate model.
    I did when my Truth broke, they wanted $1000 with trade-in for an ID and the guy chuckled when I mentioned the Moment-like the Moment was too special for a warranty deal.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Done.

First of all there was more than two guys supporting the Joker. Second of all a single crown 6" or the new 7" SC fork will save you close to 2lbs compared to a double crown. A single crown is a better all around fork and is lighter than a double. That is what the fork statement is about. As far as pedaling is concerned I find that the Joker pedals excellent. It takes more than a good shock to make a 7" bike ride like a 5" bike. All of the bikes out right now have stable platform technology and I found that the Joker out performed all of the long travel bikes "that I rode" for pedaling efficiency. This is my opinion.

You are completely predictable. The bashfest begins again. Calling people Idiots because they are making supportive statements about their bikes. People are entitled to their opinions. Just because you dont agree does not make their statements idiotic. I have rode, Hecklers, Bullits, Bighits, Konas, Liquids, Geminis, and I chose the Joker because it felt the best to me. I like many different bikes and just because I ride a Joker I dont think it is the best bike in the world. It works for me and that is what matters. For versatility there is maybe two bikes that match it IMO.

You tell me where the idiotic logic lies. Am I an idiot because I like my bike? Am I an idiot because I try to give people advice about choosing a bike and people such as yourself choose to destroy a thread by starting a flame and bashfest? I wrote that I weigh 215lbs and have not broke my frame after abusing rides. This is a supportive statement saying that the frame can handle abuse. Idiotic? I wrote this so people like you would take the hint and start to post useful discussions on this site rather than juvenile bash & flame fests that solve absolutely nothing.
    If you hate Ellsworths so much why do you go to this site? Obviously you are trolling around trying to get into a flame fest with someone. Point taken about the shock debate. I thought the Z was lighter than that but I was referring to the Sherman single crowns. It doesnt matter who is right anyways because I could care less. I have better things to do than argue about my choice in bikes. I like many different bikes and I wont bash someone for their choices.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    So it's a crock when someone corrects the latest round of Ellsworth misinformation?

You would rather have inaccurate information spread rather than reading the truth (pun intended again)?

You're one wacky dooooood...

p.s. if you think that's "kicking there(sic) asses" you must be an extremely fragile individual.

p.p.s. The comment was 100% inaccurate in this instance because of the guy's size. HTH.
    Hey Pete
    I am not saying that saying that Ellsworth made an incorrect answer, for me it was the fact that they were not just dishing another bike. Yeah his answer was incorrect, so you corrected it, which is a good thing. But I dont think Ellsworth had anything sinister in it. It seemed a general F... up by them.

I just get sick of the knocking.

* years back, I bought a Kona Sex One, it cost a bomb in New Zealand. I actually never got to ride it, or enjoy a ride. It was just one of those feak fu..cked models. Kona could not sought it. I was way pissed. But I didnt take out a life oath to put one up there ass.

Just moved on.

And I am in no way sticking up for Ellsworth. I have not had a mountain bike in 8 years, been motocrossing, injury, am no longer aloud to ride. So I bought a Specilized BigHit Expert. It was a nice scooter, downhill and jumps it rocked, but pedalling it suxed the big one. This made me explore options. For me it was a toss up with a DARE or a VP Free.

So was just making a point, it doesnt need to get personal all the time to Ellsworth. They are doing the best they can.

In New Zealand we call it tall poppy syndrome, mind you they say we are different in New Zealand. I can also say I spend a whole lot of time in the USA working. Its a great place, but hey NZ cant be too bad, you guys are moving here by the hundreds.

Mind you our money is worth jack shi...t

Cheers
    Whafe
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

banned
    So was just making a point, it doesnt need to get personal all the time to Ellsworth. They are doing the best they can.
    You're apparently unaware of the lengthy history of Ellsworth posting lies on these forums.

This is merely the latest example. Perhaps they just f*cked up (they seem to have a knack for that). Perhaps it was deliberate. Given the history, they are unlikely to get the benefit of the doubt.

If "doing the best that they can" is lying, as they have in the past, then their lies will continue to be pointed out.

It's a public service at this point, as well as being so sad that it's funny.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    You're apparently unaware of the lengthy history of Ellsworth posting lies on these forums.

This is merely the latest example. Perhaps they just f*cked up (they seem to have a knack for that). Perhaps it was deliberate. Given the history, they are unlikely to get the benefit of the doubt.

If "doing the best that they can" is lying, as they have in the past, then their lies will continue to be pointed out.

It's a public service at this point, as well as being so sad that it's funny.

You are indeed correct, I am not aware of all the past information. I do know that I was ****..ting my pants after I had ordered a bike in the States from NZ and then started reading information. Was phased. But thus far I have not had any problems. Richards Bicycles have been quite helpful. FIngers crossed I guess. Because these bikes in NZ are way expensive, you guys get stuff so cheap. I dont think there is a DARE 04 in NZ.

If Ellsworth a poop, what bikes in this league are not out there lying and bull ****..ing then. Or do all companies have there problems, I would suspect so.

rr
    I don't do PC

If Ellsworth a poop, what bikes in this league are not out there lying and bull ****..ing then. Or do all companies have there problems, I would suspect so.
    Hopefully you don't have any problems and even if you do, chances are you will be taken care of, but, they certainly have not taken care of more than a few people-myself included.

Turner seems to be the ideal company as far as durability and customer service.