mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Ellsworth ISIS; is it worth building?

I have a 15" 2004 ISIS (AD-12 rear shock) hanging in the garage that I'm thinking about building up for my 13yr old son. This will be his 3rd year racing and I want to build him up a full suspension for next season but I don't know if the ISIS will make a good racer. I have a 100mm Fox Float RLC I can put on it along with a X-9 set-up but I'm wondering if it's going to be to heavy for him? I don't have any experience with the ISIS so I'm looking for some advice.
    I used to have a AD-12 on my GT and at the time I thought it performed well but if the frame is worth building I might upgrade to a Fox.

Thanks in advance!!!

Time is not a road.
    Frame with shock will be around 6lbs. With a good air shock and Float fork, it would be a formidable bike. It's the wheels that will make the biggest difference to any racer.

The frames run long in the TT, so a short stem will probably be in order, depending on your son's size. I think it could be a great racer!

mtbr member
    Is the AD-12 damped at all? I rode an Isis for a couple years and while it was an awesome granny gear climber, it tended to bob a lot when in the middle and big ring. This was with a pre pro-pedal Fox Float. It was especially bad if you try to mash on gears while in the big ring. With a new RP23, I'm sure it would be a much more efficient ride.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My 2c. I had an Ellsworth Aeon/Isis a while back. It was very stiff and responsive but I didn't like that the chain grinded along the swingarm in certain gear combos - it was a lot worse than mere chain rub or slap and was downright annoying!

Anyway, I think with the right shock, good wheels and a good tune and components to keep weight down, he would have a good bike for racing as the frame is/was not that heavy

Time is not a road.
    I always kept my chainstay wrapped with an old inner tube. It kept it pretty quiet. I don't think these are things a 13yr old will dwell on, however.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    I always kept my chainstay wrapped with an old inner tube. It kept it pretty quiet. I don't think these are things a 13yr old will dwell on, however.
    Same here. It was so noisy I was almost embarrassed at times. An old inner tube solved that.
    "If you suck, that means I'm better. The more you suck, the better I am. So. Let me count the ways you suck." - Scribb

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the info. Anyone have any idea of the stroke needed if I were to get a replacement shock? I called Ellsworth and he said he would call me back but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.
    I'm thinking I can get the weight down around 25lbs.

Thanks

Time is not a road.
    6.5 x 1.5

Ellsworth used to have some Romics with Ti coils in this range on the cheap. Sometimes air shocks can be hard for lighter riders to get right because the pressures are too low. Push can help with something like that, depending on how much you want to spend on a shock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    That's one of the reasons I asked. I went to their website yesterday and they have the 6.5 1.5 RP3 on sale for $250.00. I'm going to order one.
    They pushed the shock on my Hammerhead last year and the results were like night and day.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Had an AD 12

On my Isis and thought I loved it till it failed and I put a Fox Vanilla R on it. Night and day difference in small bump compliance. Now have a Romic and it works so gooooood. Had a Romic on the ID and I liked it but had to try a RP3. It is marginally better. Also got a pushed Vanilla R for an Isis in the parts bin that I could be talked out of. jim

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the offer Jim but I have a Float RLC on the way to Push that will be taking it's place on the ISIS. I'm going to move forward with the build and let my son make the call once he get's some saddle time on it.
    I can't wait to get started. The only thing more exciting than building a new rig for myself is building one for my son.

Time is not a road.
    Pix are mandatory!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    And pics you shall have.

If I were to lower the tooth count on the chain rings, would it cut out the chain slap issues everyone seems to have? I was thinking of going with a 22/30/40 and a 11-32 cassette. With him being 13, I figure he doesn't need a 44, and the 30 will help him stay in the middle more.
    Last edited by TrailVictim; 11-08-2006 at 04:47 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    "I'm not with them, but I'll take a piece of him". "A piece you shall have".

Chronicles of Riddick

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

Pics coming soon!

I'm finally ready to start the project, just waiting on the wheels to be built. Here's the specs:

16" ISIS (Black) W/Pushed RP3 shock
    FOX Float RLC 100mm Pushed Fork
    King Classic hubs(Black) laced to Stan's 355 hoops with DT Revolution spokes.
    Salsa Skewers
    Nooby Nic 1.8(Rear) 1.2(Front) both W/Stan's juice
    SRAM 990 11-34 cassette
    SRAM PC-991 Hollow Pin chain
    Race Face Next LP crank W/ 22-32-Bashguard set-up
    FSA Titanium BB
    XTR FD
    Sram XO mid cage RD
    Avid Ultimate V-Brakes
    King headset
    Thomson stem
    Thomson seatpost
    WTB Devo saddle
    Easton EC90 3/4" riser bars
    XO Grip shifters
    Avid Ultimate brake levers
    Rouge ODI Lock-On shorty grips
    Jagwire Ripcord cables/housing

I went way over budget but I couldn't help myself; it's like my bike building alter-ego took over. I'm more excited building this than I've ever been building something for myself.

Lil man is going be part of our team (5 person open) for 24hrs of Big Bear in WV this year. He's only 13 but his birthday is 12/27 which put's him at a race age of 14. Mom and I agreed that he wouldn't do any night laps but he'll get more than enough trail time during the day.

I'll post pics as the build happens.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    WOW, sounds like a sweet build! I've been ridind my Isis for three years now and I just love it. I can't wait to see some pic's.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Here's what might turn out to be a crappy pic of the build. I had a hard time sizing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Looks great! I'm sure your son will enjoy it.

I'd still recommend that you wrap the chainstay.

Time is not a road.
    Very Nice
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Looks good!! It's nice to see another Isis out there!