mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Ellsworth ID frame

What is the history, and geometry of the Ellsworth ID frame? thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The Id was an early attempt at making a long travel trail bike. basically it was the truth with longer shocks. Problem was they tried to go too big, using a 200 x 57 rear shock giving just under 150mm travel and a 150mm marzocchi z150 fork, it became too tall. Geometry was fairly steep in angles with a 69.5 degree head angle but the BB was nearly 15 inches high.

Ells then introduced the California version, reducing the travel to 133mm using a 190 x 51 shock lowered the bb by 3/4 inch and slackened the angles 1 degree when coupled with a 130mm fork. Still quite tall by todays standards but Ells always do tend to be tall.

I have an 2004 ID california and I love it for rugged xc, it weighs around 26lb and feels fast and pedals well on tech terrain, I mostly use it for rugged xc rides in the moors rather than trail centres etc, it is still going strong after 6 years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thank you for such an informative response. That was just the type of information I was looking for!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    pleasure

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Regarding Id also. I'm using 140mm fork with 200 x 57mm shox. I'm thinking of changing the shox to 190 x 51 but still use 140mm fork. Can you tell me the head angle?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    approx 68 degrees

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Got it. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am not at home (in Scotland with my moment!!) when I get back I will use a phone app to measure it as accurately as possible.