mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Ellsworth Hub 29" XC Rear

Does anyone have any tips on keeping my rear hub from loosening? I have the 2011 Evolve with the 29" XC Wheelset. Right now I am using two 17mm? wrenches to tighten the outside bearing nuts. I started off snug and played with tighter torque. But after a few hours of riding the hub will work its way loose. Also i have tried different quick release torques nothing so far seems to help this.

Thanks,

Paul

LBS Manager
    Other than trying a bit of blue lock tight on the threads I don't know. One of our racers had that issue but it went away after about a week I just wrote it off as break in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Well there is a bout 700 miles on this hub. Come to think of it, it may be just some dust in there. I have not serviced it yet and I had similar probs with a king hub about 10yrs ago where the slightest bit of dust would make it loosen. If that don't do it I will try the LT.

Thanks for the reply,

Paul

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Me too!

I am having the same problem with the rear wheel on my 2011 Evolution (also the 29" XC wheel set). I tighten down the outside bearing nuts and, after a ride, the nuts are lose again (which causes some alarming side-to-side play in the wheel). I will try cleaning and see what happens. I have less than 500 miles on these wheels.

Regards,

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Treetrimmer View Post
    Does anyone have any tips on keeping my rear hub from loosening? I have the 2011 Evolve with the 29" XC Wheelset. Right now I am using two 17mm? wrenches to tighten the outside bearing nuts. I started off snug and played with tighter torque. But after a few hours of riding the hub will work its way loose. Also i have tried different quick release torques nothing so far seems to help this.

Thanks,

Paul

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    hows your offset on that rim? Mine is off about 1/4" to the drive side. Tried to get it right but it seems that the nipples are maxed out from the factory.