mtbr member

Smile Ellsworth: Foam // Steel Balls

After a couple rides I wanted to see if any loose marbles were flying around reeking havoc on my fork so I pulled the bike apart.

Low and behold some steel balls came out with some minor scratches on the stem...nothing big but definitely could become worse if I kept riding for a while without checking it.

So, I went down to the Home Depot and purchased some plumbers foam (found it in the cleaning supply area). Pulled everything off and threw some foam in the top tubes (where the stem inserts) and the seat post area. Now, I'm good!

I love the bike, and shouldn't had been so lazy and foamed before I put everything together the first time.

KRZ

Rolling
    I should patent the idea of putting corks in the headtube, bottom bracket, and seatube, before the bead blast process, then license it to ellsworth so people don't have to do this! How much extra work is it to prevent this?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Glad you are protecting yourself, because Ells won't be held accountable for their lack of processes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    I should patent the idea of putting corks in the headtube, bottom bracket, and seatube, before the bead blast process, then license it to ellsworth so people don't have to do this! How much extra work is it to prevent this?
    I dunno- probably another $1000 worth of work per frame

But for that price you will also get a laser etched "EBB" graphic etched on the frame (Ellsworth Ball Busting)