mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Ellsworth Evolve or Evolution 29er model info

Hi,

I tried this post in the 29er forum but got no response and thought I would try it here.

As I continue to look for a FS 29er for my wife I came across these 2 Ellsworth models. They seem to have good reviews but nothing on the forum specific to these models that I could find. They both look like good bikes although the Evoluton I don't believe is out yet?

Thanks for any info on them as they have a low stand over height that would fit my wife well at 5"1, 120lbs, and 28" inseam. the XT build weighs in at about 27 and a half lbs, a 4lbs reducton from what she is riding now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If your wife is looking for a light weight cross country bike consider the new 2011 redesigned Ellsworth Truth or the Pivot Mach 4. Both can be built up around 22 pounds. At 5'1" I would not recommend a 29er. Look at what the top pro and amateur riders that are your wife size are riding. I ride a 29er, but I'm 6'4" 210 lbs. My friends wife races and she rides both, but she is 5'8". She uses the 29er for smooth fast courses. If she is dead set on a 29er then go with the Pivot 429. It's the only 29er out there that handles quick tight turns and the pedling is mind blowing. Two of the top mountain bike magazine editors bought one and they can ride whatever they want (it's that good). The new 2011 Evolve looks very good and the geometry has been tightened up for more of a cross country racing ride. Demo both bikes before you purchase. There are no reviews yet on the new Evolve and Evolution. MTBR did a quick review on the Evolution at Interbike in Vegas. They said it rides comparable to the Ibis Mojo HD and Nomad carbon. I like to ride very technical (scary) singletrack so I'm going to demo the new Evolution, but If I purchased one I would put a 130-140 mm fork on it. Now if Pivot would just make a 529 I would buy one right now
    Last edited by dustyman; 12-12-2010 at 12:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    She is set on a 29er as the Comp 29er she rode she was impressed with in the small frame. Things I have read about compnents and things on the Specialized I would just prefer to stay away from them if possible which lead me to other 29er brands.

The Ellsworth Evolve has had great reviews and seems like a good "lower" weight upgrade from what she has now. the Pivot looks real nice too and has pretty good reviews although I have saw some of the weights at 30+ lbs which is not enough of a weight savings to consider. I wil call both Ellsworth and Pivot to see what they have to say about one of these bikes for someone with her build. Ellsworth has got great reviews about there customer service, but I will have to check out Pivot.

I am riding a new Tallboy which I wish came in a small to fit her but they say there is not one in the making anytime soon. A shame because the Tallboy is awesome!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I used to ride with a 5'3" woman all the time (I've moved). This was in the early days of 29ers. She had a custom 29er and was a badass. Ellsworths have great standover clearance but fairly long TTs so check that measurement for fit.
    The Evolve and Evolution are two built for two different markets, XC and AM.
    I have no experience with a DW suspension, but endurance race my Evolve and love it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've got an Evolution on order. I have been told by Ells that with XO kit it will build up around 27lbs. The Evolve is about 1/2 pound lighter total build. They said the only difference in frame weight is the shock. I went with an extra 20mm travel for minimal weight gain. The Evolution has the same geometry as the '10 Evolve and their design goal was to have it handle like the previous Evolve. The new Evolve is .5 degree steeper in head tube and seat tube so it should handle a bit quicker although the guys at Ells said the Evolution is plenty snappy. What types of trails does she ride? That would dictate more than anything but I think they sound pretty similar.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My Evolve is 28.5lbs. XT crank, XO shifters and D's, King hubs and Stans Flow rims. I could see getting down to the low 27-high 26 range without going too crazy. Love my Evolve, very capabable bike when built to handle what you throw at it. A very nice XC bike if you build it that way.
    AKA: Slowfatguy

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My LBS guy today suggested using a 100mm fork on the Tallboy with a few stem, seatpost, and handlebar tweaks to fit it to her. After having her stand over my Tallboy tonight she just doesn't have the inseam to clear the top tube comfortably and she doesn't like the color options.

She liked the alpine white/blue Pivot 429 (me too!) but comparing stand over height which is comparable to the Tallboy we have to forget that one. She likes the Ellsworth Evolve in blue and the stand over height is the best for her at around 27.1"s. I will keep researching that bike for her as it looks like the best option for her build in a FS 29er.

I was told that Ellsworth has the licensing from Specialized to use Specialized pivot point design on the Ellsworth so the Evolve will ride like a Specialized? Is this true?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman
    I was told that Ellsworth has the licensing from Specialized to use Specialized pivot point design on the Ellsworth so the Evolve will ride like a Specialized? Is this true?
    The Ellsworth will ride like ....... an Ellsworth.

SPP
    Rigid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete
    The Ellsworth will ride like ....... an Ellsworth.

SPP
    Exactly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've got an Epic 29er and had a test ride on a Glimpse. Other than being active under braking and pedaling they don't feel the same. Glimpse felt like my Giant Trance with pro-pedal engaged. Plush but efficient. However, the Glimpse surprised me when I got back and saw that it had no propedal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I went with the 2010 Evolve for my wife and got a great deal on the 2010 frame. It had the lowest standover clearance (27") of any full suspension 29er's I could find. I talked with Dan today at Ellsworth and said the bike should come in around 26lbs or so.

This would be with the all XT components (including brakes), a size small frame, Stans arches & ZTR hubs, Crossmark tires. This will be 5 lbs lighter in weight over her Cannondale Super V 400, that should make her happy . Dan told me the ride between the 2010 & 2011 models would be very similar and with the good deal on the 2010 frame I didn't think I could go wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizman
    Dan told me the ride between the 2010 & 2011 models would be very similar and with the good deal on the 2010 frame I didn't think I could go wrong.
    Grats on the new bike! So does anyone know what the differences are between the 2010 and 2011 Evolve?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    New tubeset, tapered head tube, integrated pivot on seat tube, reworked rear suspension, slightly lower weight, .5 degree steeper head tube angle, new graphics.