Thread: Ellsworth CS

white boy extraordinaire

Ellsworth CS

I would just like to say, Ellsworth stepped up and rocked my customer service world.

This was the week before the ouachita challenge and as I was cleaning my bike I noticed a crack in the chainstay on my truth (old symetrical chainstay).

I called the local dealer whom I use very little and they told me to bring it in and they'll see what they can do.

Well, i brought it in. They called EW and EW said to take some pics and send it to them.

Well, the shop did and EW called back and said they would replace it.

I paid extra for overnight shipping, as this was Wed, I live in TN and have a race I've been training for five months for in three days.

In the end, I had a new chainstay with new bearings on my bike at no cost ,beside overnight shipping,in 24 hours of making the first call. they even upgraded the chainstay to the new asymetric chainstay.

Thank you very much Ellsworth and East Ridge bikes in Chattannooga, TN.
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Good Stuff

Ells have always looked after me.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

VooDoo user.
    Good to hear!!!

mtbr member

Well done E

Good to hear!

Rolling
    I think people appreciate hearing that kind of news.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I've been riding my Epi for almost 2 years now and Ellsworth customer service has been nothing short of stellar from day one!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    hmm.. i just wonder, how can you get such support?
    back days, i sent an email to info@ellsworthbikes.com cause that the only email I know through their website.. but still until now, I didn't get any response at all.. I'm just wondering why, if it failed, their mail server should be back with an error message, but it didn't..

and also, when I try to register myself at the website I can't do it.. because of my location.. I'm not in the states.. i think it's wise to put "others" in their options besides the cities at states.. so everyone can enjoy the same support..

so I think it just my bad luck not to have that nice support..

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nbayu
    hmm.. i just wonder, how can you get such support?
    back days, i sent an email to info@ellsworthbikes.com cause that the only email I know through their website.. but still until now, I didn't get any response at all.. I'm just wondering why, if it failed, their mail server should be back with an error message, but it didn't..

and also, when I try to register myself at the website I can't do it.. because of my location.. I'm not in the states.. i think it's wise to put "others" in their options besides the cities at states.. so everyone can enjoy the same support..

so I think it just my bad luck not to have that nice support..
    Why not talk to your LBS (Ellsworth dealer) in the first instance? It's their job to look after your bike (or whomever you bought the frame from) and they are the ones who deal with Ellsworth. I live in the UK and had no trouble signing up to the site. All my emails have been answered including ones from Tony.

I also own a Turner, I get reponses from them, occasionally I haven't.
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    How did the race go?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I don't think the info@ellsworthbikes.com email address is even active. I think that is the same address that I sent several emails to. I got one response from it and then everything stopped. Use the sales or tech addresses instead.

I think its funny when I see an email about great customer service. Maybe the service for existing owner's is exceptional. My experiences with them have been as a potential owner and they completely turned me away and I ended up going somewhere else for my new ride. In reality I actually am the owner of an '04 Truth, and thankfully I've never had to use the customer service.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP2002FH
    My experiences with them have been as a potential owner and they completely turned me away and I ended up going somewhere else for my new ride.
    Odd. I had a very different pre-sales experience.

I basically composed a nice, well thought out email explaining some of the concerns I read here on mtbr.com and I received a reply the same day from Paul Verdile, their Sales and Marketing Manager. We exchanged a number of emails before I finally went ahead and ordered my Epi. He even suggested a great dealer to make sure I was taken care of. He also followed up with me a month or so later to make sure everything was great.

I haven't had a problem yet but I'm confident that if I do I'll be taken care of.

And if something does need replacing I'll have my dealer do the dirty work for me. I probably would also drop Paul a quick note too. But being in retail myself I can certainly understand that Ellsworth prefers to deal with dealers than customers. I can live with that!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Good experience w/ Ells CS

In Jan 06 I bought a used 04 Truth frame and Marz Marathon SL fork on e-Bay. I took a chance b/c it was a killer deal at $900. Supposedly very light use. Arrived in what appeared to be great condition. I registered it on E's webiste.

LBS built it up w/ all new components. I rode it for 2 seasons; probably about 1200 mi. Ghost shifting was a vexing problem (new XT drivetrain w/ dual mode shifters). It reared it's ugly head on every steep climb, which pretty much meant every ride here in the WA Cascades near Leavenworth. It drove me insane! LBS and I tried to troubleshoot. I called E a few times and they suggested pretty much what I had already tried. Holy crap it drove me insane!

Last winter I took to LBS (not an E dealer, just a great shop- Full Circle in Wenatchee) and said I'm sick of this shitty shifting thing and I'm not going to take it anymore! on an otherwise great bike. LBS called E. LBS repeated the alignement measurements they did before they built it up. No real signs of problem, but E said send it in so they could take a look.

E takes a looks and says all alignment tests were w/in tolerance, but the pivot mechanisms looked a bit worn (I'm not clear what they saw in there b/c I never spoke to them directly). So they replaced all bushings (or bearings- whatever?). Plus replaced the part which connects the shock to the 4-bar linkage (don't think that was problematic, but they did it anyway). Plus they installed a Lizard-skin to the CS. All for free. They might've even covered shipping o/w.

Snow is still keeping me out of the really high country and killer climbs, but so far seems to shift flawlessly.

Looks like E CS made it good as new, for free, and I'm not original owner.

Yeah; I'm lovin' it.

white boy extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    How did the race go?
    They fates we ultimately with me in the end; however, I experience a lot of doubt concerning my completion.

I contracted a cold as this fiasco was occurring. I ran out of tubes in one section and there were onlyl 29'ers all around me. I had to walk for a little over an hour. I thought I was going to have to DNF at mile 70 and that didn't settle well with me. I fianlly got to the checkpoint, got a new tube and finished. Conditions were nice overall and I got to be a finisher at the first Ouachita 80.

Fantastic trail system, highly recommend it. The ouachita trail portion is OUTstanding.
    "Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!"

-the Dude