"Its All Good"

Ellsworth Come on................

Unbelievable, it is the first week in April, and Ellsworth do not have in ID's in stock and are not making anymore for 2005. They say they made enough, mmmmmmmmmmm dont think so. Also re the fact they are moving the welding from 3rd party welders back to in house has caused issues.

That still stinks. Do I get a Truth or a Moment, even a Moment with a light build, will still be too similar to my Freeride bike (was a 04 Dare, now an 05 VP Free) so wanted a XC bike. Ellsworth come out and answer my questions.

Build a Truth that is slightly more trail bike enclined that full XC inclined...

Come on guys, what should I do...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

aka greyranger
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Unbelievable, it is the first week in April, and Ellsworth do not have in ID's in stock and are not making anymore for 2005. They say they made enough, mmmmmmmmmmm dont think so. Also re the fact they are moving the welding from 3rd party welders back to in house has caused issues.
    That still stinks. Do I get a Truth or a Moment, even a Moment with a light build, will still be too similar to my Freeride bike (was a 04 Dare, now an 05 VP Free) so wanted a XC bike. Ellsworth come out and answer my questions.

Build a Truth that is slightly more trail bike enclined that full XC inclined...

Last time I was in Richards(rbikes.com) they had some IDs.

"Its All Good"
    Yes, got my Dare from Richards Bicycles. Good guys in that store...........

Might check this out

Cheers
    F
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Live 2 Ride
    Have you considered getting a bike from a different manufactuer? If I had the money for a new frame then Ellsworth would not be my first choice.
    My Bike: '15 Trek FX 7.2
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

"Its All Good"
    Well, please speak up with your choice............... What would you choose if you had the money..

Welcome Turner Homers!

"Back to In house?"

I don't recall Ellsworth ever making their own bikes.

Ask me about my translucent green clearcoat!

"Its All Good"
    Sorry.. May have made an error, if so 1000 apoligies. If they didnt in the past, they are going to in the future so Ellsworth said.................

trail fairy

Long live the ID

Unbelievable, I can't understand how Ellsworth could let this happen, through my sources I understand that part of the run out has been caused by a couple of things, one the rumors around that the ID was being discontinued, IMO this would have been a huge blunder by Ellsworth as the ID for 05 was finally reconfigured to be the bike it deserves to be a 5inch trail wrecking machine which is what I turned mine into RP3 etc based on the 04 Cal edition 7.5 x 2.0 rather than the old config of 7.875 x 2.0 or x 2.25 and by the way I have a Moment also so don't go there these are 2 different bikes and I won't be convinced otherwise by TE or anyone else.

If the story is true the ID will continue in some form in 06,, the rumors of it's demise a few months ago created a increase in orders from retailers in the know, and also offerings of frame and fork also increased demand hence the run out on the stock made to fulfill the 05 period by Ellsworth.

Ellsworth from my understanding will be doing all construction work in house in the future, and just to clear up some construction issues they "were" welded in the same factory as Turner and Santa Cruz frames.

I would voice my disappointment that Ellsworth have not informed some dealers of this problem and come up with some sort of solution to customers who have ordered an ID through there LBS, not good enough really, I'm sure some suppliers who have plenty in stock would send them on and help out if asked as they themselves may find they are in this situation one day and would appreciate the same done for them.
    If this is not an option, and sometimes things do go wrong then at least inform people the dealers are your customers too they deserve this communication at the very least, you have a website, information is easily relayed these days and appreciated, remember we can only support you if you support us.

Come on E just when your'e CS and marketing was starting to turn things around this happens, remember the loyal people who stand behind you no matter the bs they often receive especially in this forum.

Though I'm not a Bike shop, dealer or otherwise I do support the brand and am only to happy to share my rides with those open enough to ride an E an make there own informed decisions based on there experience rather than some of the bs found on some posts about Es.

2 things to finish with here one this gives the Turner 5 spot no real opposition and another chance to add to the Turner State plus this is something I'm sure DT would handle fairly to support his existing loyal and new potential customers! This leaves Ellsworth IMO with a real hole in there line up and a marketing phopar considering the lost ground the Dare has already been through! The ID will be missed by those who KNOW! thankfully I'm one of the lucky ones and have one to enjoy when I want to rip the trail, RIP to those who will have to wait or go with an alternative thats not their real choice I share yr pain, hopefully there will be a solution, LONG live the ID, bring back buck! I mean ID!

If any of this information is incorrect then please inform us otherwise so we can be sure we have the right info! Night ride tomorrow night going hard, E rider out!

Lay off the Levers
    Fufilling your request for correction:

EWBs are/were not made at the same place as Turners. Turners are made at SAPA annodizing inc. in Portland. EWBs are made at Kenisis in Portland.
    Same city. Different builders...

EWB will be doing their own fabbing now? That's a HUGE step. Congrats to them for pulling all the logistics together for such a process.

As for the Id, I'm rather suprised to hear of it's temporary(?) hold. EWB has always had a large linup of offerings. Why cutback here?
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

Live 2 Ride
    Well you wanted to know what I would choose instead of a Ellsworth. Lets see here. Maybe a Santa Cruz Bullit or Specialized Big Hit FSR or Intense Spider 5.5...

Anything but a Ellsworth.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197
    Well you wanted to know what I would choose instead of a Ellsworth. Lets see here. Maybe a Santa Cruz Bullit or Specialized Big Hit FSR or Intense Spider 5.5...

Anything but a Ellsworth.

Weren't you the one that posted this thread a few topics down?

I was wrong.

Live 2 Ride
    The guy asked me what I would get - I responded. I see no problem.

"Its All Good"
    Hey Kona dude................Sorry BUT, grow some balls.................Why say anything but Ellsworth. You dont own one, nor have you ever ridden one (that even makes you look more like the first living brain doner)

I have owned a Specialized, not for me. DOnt want a mass made frame, and I own a Santa Cruz......................

mtbr member

So let me get this straight

The guy asked me what I would get - I responded. I see no problem.
    By your own admission you have neither owned, nor ridden an Ellsworth bike, yet you are comfortable coming here to the Ellsworth Forum and putting forth your opinions on Ellsworth products. Well I am going to store that in the hard drive of useful information.
    jim

Never trust anyone who has a Shimano Acera product on their bike.

Live 2 Ride
    I have read enough information on this board to know that I do not want a ellsworth more many reasons. Rather it be that they crack or that TE has some shady business practices.

Anyhow... you guys are right. I'm going to just leave now.

livin' large
    Whats wrong with specialized they make some nice rides, some pretty flashy too,

Or, are they not exclusive enough for you?
    it tied the room together man!

"Its All Good"
    Ha ha, first fish has taken the bait............ You will note that I never said anything negative re Specialized, nothing to do with not being exclusive enough. Have worked F....ing hard to get where I am, if I wish to purchase a handmade frame is that not my business.

And yes indeed Specialized do make some great bikes, as do most companies. When you get older you will appreciate beautiful welds and engineering etc etc etc, it becomes like art really.............

Shot Down in Flames...
    Ha ha, first fish has taken the bait............ You will note that I never said anything negative re Specialized, nothing to do with not being exclusive enough. Have worked F....ing hard to get where I am, if I wish to purchase a handmade frame is that not my business.

And yes indeed Specialized do make some great bikes, as do most companies. When you get older you will appreciate beautiful welds and engineering etc etc etc, it becomes like art really.............
    If that's the case, then you should check out Ventana. You won't have to worry about what's in stock, as Sherwood will build you what ever you want. Built in house to your specs and "Electric Sex" welds that are to die for.

FYI,
    D.

livin' large
    Oh so you are trolling ......so sorry,

By the by, I am 2 years older than you, and probably work just as hard, and have not one but two handmade bicycles with impeccable welds, and one has custom lugs which actually are art. I just think you were being a little arrogant to the Kona guy, and now to me

So thanks for your sanctamonious reply

"Its All Good"
    Point taken Canadian C.

Was not in anyway supposed to be trolling or trying to "get at you".

If it came across that way, am sorry. Can get a little tiring for those of us who wish to purchase handmade frames and get trashed by others who dont or cannot. When I was younger, I too had to purchase mass produced bikes, and there are some great ones too.

So sorry for generalising. I still think the Kona dude should not spout off about Ellsworth when he has doesnt owwn one, let alone has ridden one.

The welds on the above Ventana look magic, truly awesome.

Be well
    F

livin' large
    Apology accepted,

and remember rubber side down

banned
    Can get a little tiring for those of us who wish to purchase handmade frames and get trashed by others who dont or cannot.

Perhaps you should think about why you take peoples' criticism of Ellsworth, Ellsworth's poor customer service record, Ellsworth's bogus "lifetime" warranty, and Ellsworth's track record of lying on these very boards, personally?

It's not about being able to afford Ellsworth bikes, or being interested in frames that are "hand built" for Ellsworth by a fab outfit in Oregon (don't believe the "hademade in California" BS on the Ellsworht site, BTW) but rather it's about their incredibly poor track record.

"Its All Good"
    Pete Mate............ I am talking about handmade type frames in general not just Ellsworth at all. I have an awesome VP Free also that I love.

I have had the good fortune I guess of having no porblems. Many of you have, I cant judge Ellsworth until they shiat on me. And when they are dishonest to me and try and rip me if at all they would. Then I will far from happy.

Loads have had an f....ed deal from Tony Ellsworth, but loads have had great experiences. Real tough topic............

I like the product, not the human that is suposedly designing it or making them.

PASS......................"Hands in the air" am lost re this whole Ellsworth bashing or non bashing

sock puppet

zing!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kev0153
    Weren't you the one that posted this thread a few topics down?

I was wrong.
    thanks kev... that was priceless... i was just about to start looking for that thread...

sock puppet

kona got what kona deserved...

but the response to you was not harsh... i thought it was fine... no need to pick any fights here... discussing different GOOD bikes is like discussing different foods... tastes are different... it is good to have different options when buying a bike...

by the way, canadian here too...

Quote Originally Posted by canadian-clydesdale
    Oh so you are trolling ......so sorry,

By the by, I am 2 years older than you, and probably work just as hard, and have not one but two handmade bicycles with impeccable welds, and one has custom lugs which actually are art. I just think you were being a little arrogant to the Kona guy, and now to me

So thanks for your sanctamonious reply

sock puppet

dont worry whafe...

pete often goes on his "trips" and there is nothing we can do about it...

people that know him personally though, say he is an ok guy...

Pete Mate............ I am talking about handmade type frames in general not just Ellsworth at all. I have an awesome VP Free also that I love.

I have had the good fortune I guess of having no porblems. Many of you have, I cant judge Ellsworth until they shiat on me. And when they are dishonest to me and try and rip me if at all they would. Then I will far from happy.

Loads have had an f....ed deal from Tony Ellsworth, but loads have had great experiences. Real tough topic............

I like the product, not the human that is suposedly designing it or making them.

PASS......................"Hands in the air" am lost re this whole Ellsworth bashing or non bashing

sock puppet

by the way: get Truth...

it'll be perfect for XC, and it is rock solid...

i've had mine for over a year and it was nothing but fun... i am 205# and ride hard and strong...

"Its All Good"
    Osokolo, where you been, was waiting for you. Knew you would say get the Truth. Thats not a bad thing. Am thinking the whole geometry will be rather XC race like, where as the ID might be a little more relaxed.

Your thoughts

mtbr member
    just because Ells is out of Ids doesn't mean you can't still get them. there's plenty of dealers still with stock. check out Beyond Bikes for instance..........

Time is not a road.
    I checked Beyond Bikes and all they have online is Red or Gold mediums. Maybe one of those would work for you? Wrench Science also sells Ellsworth online. JB Bicycles stocks Ellsworth, too. Check an online dealer, you might have some luck.

Live 2 Ride
    I thought I would help out.

Cambria Bicycle Outfitter has Ellsworth ID in stock and in many sizes.

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=8506

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    bloomin lovely welds on that pic.

"Its All Good"
    Am pretty certain we have gound one at Richards Bicycles............... Thank you all for your help...........

Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    I checked Beyond Bikes and all they have online is Red or Gold mediums. Maybe one of those would work for you? Wrench Science also sells Ellsworth online. JB Bicycles stocks Ellsworth, too. Check an online dealer, you might have some luck.

"Its All Good"
    Have to say it..... F.-.-ing beautiful welds........................

Quote Originally Posted by Blower
    bloomin lovely welds on that pic.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    The Id was doomed from the start. It was a long travel XC bike that Tony Ellsworth marketed as a freeride bike, he even compared it against the Turner RFX and Rocky Mountain Switch. It is not a bike that is built to take that kind of abuse, but Tony decided to compare it to those bikes. That was one nail in the coffin. Over the last few seasons, ellsworth backed off marketing the Id as a "freeride" bike to compete with "real" freeride bikes, but the damage was done.

The bottom bracket height was absurd, that was definitely a nail in the coffin.

Along comes the moment, which is everything the Id was SUPPOSED to be, a great trail bike, decent geometry, can handle agressive riding, etc. Coffin shut on the Id.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Your opinion. I like the high bottom bracket. I'm clearing logs that I had trouble getting over in the past. Once I got use to the feeling, the bike feels like an extension of me. Isn't that the ultimate goal of any bike.

trail fairy

Id

I'm with you kev I also like the high BB, those that know (ride) the 05 ID was revised, and amazes me people can't use a keyboard or check a website for info, anyway it now has a lower BB as mentioned above in my earlier post, the geom and handling is probably more suited to most riders now and if some who live in the past moved on they would realise, 1: the ID was and is a sweet bike, I know I own one, 2: the Moment is a different bike as JM would say a sweet bike I know this too as I have one of these as well. I'm over the marketing hype I've always made up my own mind using my own expericence as to where a bike should fit, the ID is a great trail bike and most owners seem to me to agree!

But back to Whafes post, I have had the advantage of seeing comunication from Ellsworth about your delima and can only say I think they handled it professionally and as well as anyone can in that situation, there are options for you and hopefully your LBS will take those on board for you, as for Ellsworth they were caught by the ever changing market, when people appear to be more interested in other models you produce for those expectations unfortunatley they got caught, this probably increased the IDs marketability, again highlighted that this is indeed a classic model here to stay in some form or another! I here it will be better stronger faster than before for 06.(aka the 6 MDM we can rebuild her). Good luck Whafe I hope you get the outcome that you want!

As for that Ventana they are beautiful welds, I for one can appreciate another brands beauty and strengths, ya can't be everything to everyone however.

Ride hard! ride long!

Only Democrat in Utah
    Feb 2004
    I had a friend of mine who has done quite a bit of welding take a look at the welds on my Id and tell me he was completely blown away by the quality of the welds.

That said, I'm very impressed with Ventana. I have my eye on an El Martillo CX bike. A nice metallic red frame with a Wound Up fork and Avid BB7 discs.
    Flying by the seat of my pants.

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by Jm.
    The Id was doomed from the start. It was a long travel XC bike that Tony Ellsworth marketed as a freeride bike, he even compared it against the Turner RFX and Rocky Mountain Switch. It is not a bike that is built to take that kind of abuse, but Tony decided to compare it to those bikes. That was one nail in the coffin. Over the last few seasons, ellsworth backed off marketing the Id as a "freeride" bike to compete with "real" freeride bikes, but the damage was done.

The bottom bracket height was absurd, that was definitely a nail in the coffin.

Along comes the moment, which is everything the Id was SUPPOSED to be, a great trail bike, decent geometry, can handle agressive riding, etc. Coffin shut on the Id.
    The Id run with a 7.5" shock has a reasonable BB height and is a worthy rival of the 5-Spot. That's the way the bike should always have been set up.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve from JH
    The Id run with a 7.5" shock has a reasonable BB height and is a worthy rival of the 5-Spot. That's the way the bike should always have been set up.
    That sounds right, except for that relatively flexy rear end that limits the use of beefier tires.

trail fairy
    Am pretty certain we have gound one at Richards Bicycles............... Thank you all for your help...........

Awesome dude is she still gonna be gold or custom paint, also amim for a custom tuned fox float if possible the ID rocks with this shock.

Hope to see her in the flesh once shes built no doubt be as sexy as that VP Free!

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kev0153
    Your opinion. I like the high bottom bracket.
    Yeah, maybe I'll go lift my car 5" so it can handle like a$$.
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Jm.
    mtbr member
    No, ran with a 7.5" shock it's still a great deal higher than the competitors. It's NOWHERE NEAR the ~13.5 of a 5 spot.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    never mind
    Last edited by kev0153; 04-07-2005 at 04:29 AM.

The Ancient One
    No, ran with a 7.5" shock it's still a great deal higher than the competitors. It's NOWHERE NEAR the ~13.5 of a 5 spot.
    Mine is a measured 13.75" with Nokian NBX 2.1 tires and a 130 TALAS fork.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Whafe- not trying to start any crap here, but do you really want to buy an ID when they are no longer making that version? Whats to keep Ells. from doing the same thing to the ID owners out there that they did to the Truth owners when they redesigned it? I know the ID had held up much better but there have been some chainstay issues like the one posted now, is Ell. gonna stock replacement parts for the older design or charge you for the new stuff? Why take a chance, if your really set on an Ells. then why not wait for the new design, or if you really want a 5" trailbike now then pick one of the other very fine bikes from another mfg., the ID is in no way superior to say a Ventana or the 5 Spot or my FXR, just different. Anyway, just trying to help and I have to admit I'm stumped why anyone would consider an ID when they are no longer making that version, and considering Ell's history.

853+29+1x24=Fun
    Yeah, maybe I'll go lift my car 5" so it can handle like a$$.

Tell that to these guys.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    Mine is a measured 13.75" with Nokian NBX 2.1 tires and a 130 TALAS fork.
    Sure, maybe when your fork is set for 3" of travel.

Or are you telling us your "sagged" bb height?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Ancient One

Fork fully extended. Bike unsagged. If I had a digital camera I'd show you a picture with a tape measure. Since I don't you'll have to take my word--or not, whichever.

The picture you posted is not with a 7.5" shock. I can tell by the rocker arm angle.

trail fairy

Nice bike JM! Not sure where your'e going with your arguments obviously they are not balanced & the chip is a very large one, which you are entitled to! but don't use that to mis inform others, what suits you or what has happened to you is your experience try to find a balance or atleast enjoy whatever you yourself are in too. I know this won't get through as the trail always seems the same from your wheel.

Fact that is a pic of my bike the below are the shock measurements, I happen to like the high BB hence I kept the eye 2 eye as per the origonal ID spec except for the stroke, as stated above for 05 these were revised based upon the success of the Califorina ID, move on everyone else has!
    7.875 x 2.0 fork is fully extended 04 talas with 125mm.

So eat the dust on that one.

mtbr member

forget the id on the bb height stuff and the truth...get a joker ..i personally like the moment beacuase it is a great all mounatain trail bike. All i have ever heard is good reviews on the bike. Decline magazine had a good article on the moment and it seems like a great bike!

BGR / MCM #311
    Have you considered getting a bike from a different manufactuer? If I had the money for a new frame then Ellsworth would not be my first choice.
    I take you off my ignore list for one day...to only see you haven't gotten over your hoof in mouth syndrome.

heheheh....
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath

Live 2 Ride
    Maybe you should read the whole thread Fireboy instead of zeroing in on just the negative areas of it. Anyhow...

banned
    Mar 2005

sorry, picked up the last 2004 in Toronto a few weeks ago, guess i now know why it was such a great price...should happen more often

now if only the snow would melt

sock puppet

so what is the word?

Osokolo, where you been, was waiting for you. Knew you would say get the Truth. Thats not a bad thing. Am thinking the whole geometry will be rather XC race like, where as the ID might be a little more relaxed.

Your thoughts
    what did you get?

still thinking?

again, get truth. cant compare it to ID since i didnt ride ID, but i can talk about the Truth... let me know if you are still thinking between the two and i'll throw another 2 cents in...

Time is not a road.
    I think he found a dealer with an ID.

E~Pluribus Unum
    I tried that. The s/a was way too slack for a trail bike. What is it with a 7.5 i2i--somthing around 71.5 degrees?

The Ancient One
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul J
    I tried that. The s/a was way too slack for a trail bike. What is it with a 7.5 i2i--somthing around 71.5 degrees?
    That's about right. But it doesn't cause me any problem. I shoved the saddle a little forward on its rails--less than half an inch--and got the same riding position I would get with a 73 degree SA. Maybe for somebody really tall and long legged it could be a problem, but then they could get by with the higher BB and longer i2i shock.

"Its All Good"
    Sorted a large gold ID........... Just have to get the 150 stitches out of my shoulder so I can ride again, dam operations..............

sock puppet

congrats... nice color too...

Sorted a large gold ID........... Just have to get the 150 stitches out of my shoulder so I can ride again, dam operations..............
    either way you went, you'd have been in great shape...

enjoy the ride!!!

let us know your first impressions please.

BGR / MCM #311

typical

I thought kona#### said he was leaving??? anyone else catch that?

and...BTW...I DID read the whole thread...that's the funny part...
    Last edited by fireboy; 04-13-2005 at 08:10 AM. Reason: stuff
    Boogers and Birthdays....the more you have...the harder it is to breath