mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Ellsworth bearing question

I snapped the pivot bolt on the Isis a while ago and just got around to getting a new one. While waiting for it to arrive , I checked the bearings and found them to be tight and notchy. I ordered a new set from Chris at Enduro Seals along with a set of fork seals for the Pike. While waiting for everything to arrive, I set about removing the bearings from the swingarm. When I got them out they were no longer tight and notchy, but felt as smooth as the new ones. Whats up with that? When they are pressed into the swingarm, is the shell deforming? Is this normal. If not what can I do about it? Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jimbo2k; 10-29-2006 at 02:35 AM. Reason: add PIC

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just a couple things that you may or may not be aware of.

Metal will flex and act like a spring to some degree, so the shape of the hole that the bearing is going into may influence it.

Riding around with any play in the suspension will eventually OVALIZE the pivots, whether it be on the shock, the shock mounts (more common) or the suspension pivots. The deformed pivot would deform the bearing while it was inside of the pivot possibly. For this reason, I highly recommend that anyone that is riding around with any play in their bike, from any place, stop riding until they can get it fixed or sorted out. Continuing to ride just damages the bike further and further, to the point where you have to trash the frame because you can't "unovalize" and ovalized pivot.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.