Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ellsworth Bait & Switch??

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Tim-H 
#1 ·
Dear Tony Ellsworth,
Please update your website so that no one goes through what I did!!! As an avid mtb endurance racer the Truth has been my “dream bike” for years. I have been eyeing an Ellsworth SST.1 Frame size XS on your website outlet for over a month. Last night I convinced my wife to let me finally purchase it. We have two young kids ages 2 and 3 so these big purchases do not come around often… I was so excited I could not get sleep after I put my credit card, made my order, and got confirmation. I emailed my entire bike team and riding friends about my TRUTH on it’s way.............

This morning I spoke to Ryan as I called to add an extra derailleur hanger to my order and he then informed me that the bike I ordered was not available, but he will gladly be able to provide me a newer model frame for $2295 instead of $1795 which I originally convinced the boss (aka wife) into letting me spend…There are SEVERAL size 14XS frames of all colors STILL listed on your site and have been for a long time… I cannot help but feel like this was a bait and switch as Ryan was unapologetic and was very much ok with me pulling my order and seemed like he was on to the next sucker…

Again, please update your website so that no one else goes through what I did…. I am extremely disappointed and was looking forward to my purchase and riding an Ellsworth.
Regards,
Jay

See less See more
#2 ·
ouch. anger. disappointment. so many things.

i've been there. should have, would have, could have's don't help one bit right now. to others, be sure to be involved with a local bike shop whenever possible. the personality of orders on these important purchases should not be left to machines and data numbers.
prices, shipping and market changes vary and need to be considered when making purchasing budgets.

#4 ·
Hey mate, bad you feel bummed out about your bike and not good form on the website but honestly in the long run I think you'll be better off stumping up the extra for a SST2. If dollars are the issue better to save on the build kit rather than the frame. I'm sure the boss will understand I'm forever sneaking a few extras through to the keeper (cricket for you sepos).

The times I rang Ellsworth I've always gotten an A grade response and speak very highly of the service to people who ask. Great choice of bike man, hope it works out!

#12 · (Edited)
Hey mate, bad you feel bummed out about your bike and not good form on the website but honestly in the long run I think you'll be better off stumping up the extra for a SST2. If dollars are the issue better to save on the build kit rather than the frame. I'm sure the boss will understand I'm forever sneaking a few extras through to the keeper (cricket for you sepos).

The times I rang Ellsworth I've always gotten an A grade response and speak very highly of the service to people who ask. Great choice of bike man, hope it works out!
Wow, That really solved his perceived bait-and-switch issue...or not.

The OP displayed a legitimate bait-and-switch presentation. Ells must have a top notch web guy based on the flowery flash graphics. At least they could keep it updated. They were sure fast at posting the results naming the new frame.

then explain how I did two rockers and a front triangle no questions asked in a two week turnaround from Oz. Its tiresome when you hear this bollocks, I'm sure there is much worse like some of the Trek stories I've heard from blokes around here.
Treat the disease instead of curing it?

What is weird about this is that you needed two rockers and a front triangle. That in itself should worry potential buyers. Eyebrows might raise to why you have so many problems....especially now that they have a "limited two-year warranty"

#7 ·
evilbetty said:
If you do buy one, wait till you need to warranty it. Thats when the Ellworth screw machine really kicks in.
then explain how I did two rockers and a front triangle no questions asked in a two week turnaround from Oz. Its tiresome when you hear this bollocks, I'm sure there is much worse like some of the Trek stories I've heard from blokes around here.

#14 ·
oh wow. I wish I was as good an athlete as you so that I would know how to run a business.

really. I just want so much to go exercise. so that I can learn what is the most professional way to market and sell bikes.

really. I see how those two relate. totally.

I won't be able to form an opinion until I sacrifice my social life for exercise and buy a 5,000 dollar bike.

totally.

please forgive us. Oh, One Who Finds Exercise Makes You Smarter.

#15 ·
oh wow. I wish I was as good an athlete as you so that I would know how to run a business.

really. I just want so much to go exercise. so that I can learn what is the most professional way to market and sell bikes.

really. I see how those two relate. totally.

I won't be able to form an opinion until I sacrifice my social life for exercise and buy a 5,000 dollar bike.

totally.

please forgive us. Oh, One Who Finds Exercise Makes You Smarter.
Huh? Sounds like you need to step away from the bottle.

#17 ·
bad web page

I think the original post was the web page is not accurate. As an example the head tube on the new evolve 29er sst2 is 4 inches on the web site is 5. Imagine what other mistakes are on the web, I'm sure Tony does not know what is happening in his company because he is enjoying life travelling as seen on the ellsworh facebook page.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.