mtbr member

El Rey vs 2010 Evolve

I'm looking at a couple clearance frames. Anyone have first hand experience with either bike?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Ride them if you can

Bondseye - I recently purchased a 2010 Evolve after considerable dirt time on the Turner DW Link Sultan, Titus RX29, Specialized S Works Epic, Pivot Mach 429, and SC Tallboy. Unequivocally, the SC Tallboy is the best riding 29r full suspension bike that I have ridden to date. IMO, the Evolve is the second best. I did not want a CF full suspension mountain bike as I live in AZ and did not want to deal with an future CF damage from potential crashes and rocks.

Prior to converting to 29r's I owned a Turner XCE, Flux and 5 Spot in that order, so I previously drank the Turner cool aid and enjoyed it. Turner makes great riding bikes and their CS is second to none. I like the active suspension of the Evolve and I liked the steering of the bike. For me the Evolve felt the most balanced, nimble and capable. As much as I wanted to (being a Turner and Titus fan) I did like the ride of DW linked bikes and the Brain, personal preference.

For 29r's I prefer a slightly steeper head angle for tight switch backs and weaving between large chunk and I never felt like the steering is nervous or twitchy. Conversely, I thought that the other offerings steered too slow. Also, to me the Evolve was just as laterally stiff or more so in some instances as the other aforementioned bikes.

As I urged above, demo one if you can if even if it is a parking lot ride. Fit and the way that the bike sags is important. With respect to Ventana, they are know for stellar construction, finish and CS. That said, Ventana owners have historically opined about having to employ more propedal and dampening to control the bobbing, as well as they sit a litter higher. It is rumored that they are tweaking their suspension design to keep up with the more current market offerings. Also important, I would research the resale value. You rarely see an Evolve in mtbr or ebay sit for long and I would think that the residual value is inherently higher.

As we all know, opinions are a dime a dozen here, and it really comes down to personal preference. Regrettably or fortunately, I have owned over 20 mountain bikes over the past 20 years and have just about ridden everything. For me right now the Evolve is the bike I prefer.

Best - CDIDiver

Tool
    CDIDiver - what did you find to be the differences between the Tallboy and Evolve?

You stated that you felt the Tallboy was the best 29er, but decided to buy the Evolve. You did list a few things you like about the Ells, but it's not clear why you bought what you felt was second best.

Just curious...I was very tempted to get the 2010 Evolve instead of the Truth, but I wanted a pure XC rig, and the Evolve was a little too slack prior to 2011. I am pretty sure my next bike will be a 29er, so I'm following threads in the meantime.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Thanks much for your detailed response CDIDriver, it is greatly appreciated.

I too am a recovering Turner owner. I keep waiting for Dave to build a shorter travel DW Link 29er, but it doesn't look likely anytime soon.

I wish I could demo all the rides on my list, but I don't even have a Ellsworth dealer in my area let alone a dealer with demos. Demo rides seem to be a west coast phenomenon. The other issue is time. I want to get a deal on one of the 2010 still in inventory.

@Pedaphile (kind of creepy handle, but to each his own), I think if you reread CDI's post you'll see he covered your question: " I did not want a CF full suspension mountain bike as I live in AZ and did not want to deal with an future CF damage from potential crashes and rocks. "

Tool
    Thanks, Bondseye. I should have asked my question differently since I am interested in learning what the perceived differences are between the two bikes, especially from someone who has thrown a leg over both.

If you spell my username correctly, it's a little less creepy. Pedalphile = one who loves pedaling. Funny how our minds work, eh?
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Pedalphile - The Tallboy is the best pedaling bike I have ever ridden. The bike squirts forward with ease and maintains speed very well. Also the Tallboy is very light, mind you the demo that I rode had Easton Haven wheels which felt very light and spun up quickly. My Tallboy demo creaked at the wishbone/shock link, which is probably fixable, but caused a little concern.

The Evolve also feels very light, not as light as the Tallboy, but certainly lighter than its competition. The Evolve is also very efficient and squirts forward when pedaled, but not like the Tallboy. To me the Evolve feels very precise and surefooted, the Tallboy's handling felt a tiny bit vague, but not enough to dismiss the purchase. Bottom line, if SC produced the Tallboy in aluminum, I would buy it. Both bikes squatted similarly when negotiating steep seated climbs.

To your last question, I owned a Truth back in 2001 and it was not for me. Ellsworth has developed several new generations that may have improved the bike. My Truth was very flexy front and rear, steered and descended nervously, and generally did not feel assured. I subsequently purchase a Turner XCE and Flux, which crushed Truth in handling and overall confidence. My opinion is that the Truth is a race bike for lightweight riders.

Hope this helps. CDIDriver

Quote Originally Posted by Pedalphile
    CDIDiver - what did you find to be the differences between the Tallboy and Evolve?

You stated that you felt the Tallboy was the best 29er, but decided to buy the Evolve. You did list a few things you like about the Ells, but it's not clear why you bought what you felt was second best.

Just curious...I was very tempted to get the 2010 Evolve instead of the Truth, but I wanted a pure XC rig, and the Evolve was a little too slack prior to 2011. I am pretty sure my next bike will be a 29er, so I'm following threads in the meantime.

-Pete

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Bondseye - I am with you, I think that there is a good number of Turner owners that were hoping for a lightweight shorter travel 29r. For me, the Evolve, felt most similar to my 5 spot. The Evolve feels light, but assured, and the travel is progressive and just right for a 29r. Also, the Evolve did not feel tall, but more "sit in" the bike and but does not squat as bad as the HL Turners. I did spend a considerable amount of time on the Sultan, to me the travel felt firm initially, and then wallowy in the midstroke. Being on a steel 29r hardtail for the past 3+ years, the Evolve is perfect and Sultan is too much.

CDIDriver

Quote Originally Posted by Bondseye
    Thanks much for your detailed response CDIDriver, it is greatly appreciated.

I too am a recovering Turner owner. I keep waiting for Dave to build a shorter travel DW Link 29er, but it doesn't look likely anytime soon.

I wish I could demo all the rides on my list, but I don't even have a Ellsworth dealer in my area let alone a dealer with demos. Demo rides seem to be a west coast phenomenon. The other issue is time. I want to get a deal on one of the 2010 still in inventory.

@Pedaphile (kind of creepy handle, but to each his own), I think if you reread CDI's post you'll see he covered your question: " I did not want a CF full suspension mountain bike as I live in AZ and did not want to deal with an future CF damage from potential crashes and rocks. "

mtbr member
    Thanks again. There's a pink Evolve about to get loaded on a big brown truck with my name on it. Unless they're lying I picked up the last large 2010. I can't wait to hit the trails. From all I've read, all the research, and my previous Ellsworth experience I think I'll be happy.

I'll get the build and pics up soon

chees

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If the El Rey is as good as the Evolve then you couldn't go wrong with either. I amazed at how good my 2010 Evolve rides for a FS bike.