mtbr member
    Nov 2006

DT Swiss 240S RWS thru-bolt wheelset for TRUTH

I stomached the pain of buying a lighter wheelset, but boy the pain was it worth it.

I opted for the DT Swiss 240S, DT 4.2D rims with RWS thru-bolt skewers. I saw the set-up in my local LBS and was instantly sold on the system. I really like the DT Swiss RWS thru-bolt skewer system. Once I got the hang of using them I like them sooo much more than quick release skewers, and the benefits of having a thrubolt type axle adds a lot of rigidity to the front end. This set-up is very maintainable as well, and is relatively light......about as light as you would want to go and still ride agressively day in and out.

The 240S hubs roll great and I love the feel of the DT 4.2D rims.

I highly recommend this wheelset......it has added much pleasure to my rides, and especially in the rough stuff where handling is much improved.

My advice.......do not skimp on the wheelset as it is THE most important component. Rotating weight is way more important than saving grams on inert components, and the bike just flows level or technical with good wheels.

The only drawback is they are not as blingy as I9 or King, or Crossmax SL I suppose......which wheelset you buy often depends on if you prefer to look good or simply want to ride good (and understand value).

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I agree. I converted my Hugi Freeride hubs over to the 10mm RWS in the rear and noticed a difference. Intially, I was hesitant but got the upgrade kit as a free replacement for a warranteed hub. But now, I've got 4 conversion kits for my other hubs and recently benefitted from the stiffness while in Colorado with my Id. Highly recommended.