move on up...

Does 650B fit in the back??

Hello Ellsworth fans,
    I recently test rode a Moment, Truth, Epiphany and Evolve . I was really impressed by these bikes. I was wondering if any of you have done a 650B conversion on one of these frames? Is there clearance issues, it looked a little tight by the seatstay pivot area. If anyone has done this , how did the bike ride? And what were any issues involved in cramming a bigger wheel in there? Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It won't fit on my 2010 Epiphany with the carbon shock stay.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

650b

I have not done this so I am just posting my opinion for what it's worth. With the Evolve being a 29er you probably could get away with a 650b set up in the front and rear. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't fit. As for the others, to my knowledge you cannot get a 650b in the rear triangle. The fork should work ok but the back is a problem. I base this information on my checking into the same idea when I had my ID. Hope this helps. I am pretty sure Ventana is doing a 650b platform now if you are interested in staying American made aluminum.

LBS Manager
    I have been riding a 650b Epiphany for 3 seasons now and so has my GF The sst 1 frames without carbon shock stays work well. the Epiphany is being offered from Ellsworth as a 650b set up now.
    Ellsworth Web Store - FRAME SET 2013: Epiphany SST2 27.5 - Kit Configuration Page

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hair Boy View Post
    I have been riding a 650b Epiphany for 3 seasons now and so has my GF The sst 1 frames without carbon shock stays work well. the Epiphany is being offered from Ellsworth as a 650b set up now.
    Ellsworth Web Store - FRAME SET 2013: Epiphany SST2 27.5 - Kit Configuration Page
    That looks like a standard epi. It does not have carbon stays , so what did ells change? They say they are not shoehorning the larger wheels into a standard frame and say the bb is lowered so that it remains at the same height as a 26er despite 40% larger wheels. So what's different?