mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Bonking ... not feelin' well Dinged Chainstay - Help!

I ended up dinging the left (non-driveside) chainstay on my Truth this morning. (I didn't think I fell that hard...) It's about dime-sized, on the outside surface, and you can definitely feel a pucker on the top and bottom of the chainstay, although the inside surface seems fine. The chainstay looks as if it is slightly bowed inward, but it's very hard to tell. The welds, particularly the one to the dropout, look fine.

I really don't care about the ding unless if affects safety. Any thoughts on whether this is the sort of frame damage you just live with, or whether I ought to replace the chainstays to be on the safe side? The LBS didn't seem too concerned, but I thought I'd check with the experts here.

The only other potential problem I could think of is extra wear on the pivots if, somehow, the alignment of the rear triangle was affected.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    hey, I've put a few unpleasant and sizeable dings into various frame elements of my 2001 Truth - they haven't affected my ride -- it's a good idea to give your frame a good inspection often, make sure you haven't devloped any stress cracks or fissures - and hey, the 1st ding is a tough one,but it's probably nothing to worry about- cheers

Rolling
    If it misaligned your triangle, I would think it would show up with your tire having a different on the right side versus the left side if you look up where the rocker meets the seatstay. Check that out.