mtbr member
    Jan 2004

differance between Id and moment

anyone riden both the moment and the id who could tell me what the difference between the two is. I just rode a friends id and loved it. I am moving from a specialized epic and I am thinking of taking advantage of the deal on moments at Beyond bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Id ( ridden for 5 years )= It's a long travel Xc bike with a high bottom bracket and high standover. ( mine was with,5" Coil fork and 7.875 coil shock.)

Moment ( ridden about two months )= All mountain bike, not as quick on flats, turns or uphills.( 6" coil air fork and Romic shock )
    Lower BB and standover. slower turning but better at speed.

Soon, my Moment will be wearing a Fox 32 Airfork and RP23 shock, that should about do it for me.

If you try both, ride each in EVERY condition you usually ride if possible, then decide.

They are both nice rides, just very different

over 50 years of cycling

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by rich
    anyone riden both the moment and the id who could tell me what the difference between the two is. I just rode a friends id and loved it. I am moving from a specialized epic and I am thinking of taking advantage of the deal on moments at Beyond bikes.
    I just moved from the Epic to an Epiphany. Best move I ever made.
    The Epic is for XC racers or people that really want a hardtail.

Its a huge change from the Epic to the Epi. I can't even imagine that you were riding an Epic on stuff that justifies a Moment. You will be amazed by your "improvement in riding skill".

I got my Epi from rbikes.com, which is an excellent source if you are going the internet route. (or if you happen to live by their shop).
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

Time is not a road.
    The Id was quite a bit lighter I believe than the Moment - different tubing. TT brings up a good point in that the difference between the Epic and the Moment will be more dramatic than the Id and the Epic. The Moment and the Id ride similar, though, with the same suspension design and characteristics. The Moment will expand your DH riding potential with its slacker head angle, stronger tubeset and 6" of travel. I came from a 4" bike to the 6" bike, too. While most of what I ride could be accomplished on a shorter travel bike, I don't feel that the Moment holds me back from doing anything. It's a little slower climbing, but that's because I like big, fat tires and heavy forks. Details like the higher bottom bracket are much appreciated where I live because of the abundance of rocks. It's certainly much faster down the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the input. It sounds like the Epi would be more similar to the id then the moment would be. I am looking for more of a cross counrty bike that I can do a few 24 hour relay races on. I don't think that the moment will fit my needs as well as the epi.

over 50 years of cycling

Cool-blue Rhythm tradeoffs

Quote Originally Posted by rich
    Thanks for the input. It sounds like the Epi would be more similar to the id then the moment would be. I am looking for more of a cross counrty bike that I can do a few 24 hour relay races on. I don't think that the moment will fit my needs as well as the epi.
    Read the reviews and related threads on the Epi. If the Truth is a bit light duty for your needs.... IMHO it is, the Epi should be about perfect for your style of riding.

Also read the reviews and search for all the complaints about Beyond Bikes, especially their customer service. If customer service counts for anything, it doesn't get any better than rbikes.com. When I was pricing my Epi, rbikes.com was a better price for a package deal than Beyond Bikes, but sales can change that around. On the other hand the followup service from Richards bike shop makes me feel like I am dealing with a local GOOD shop.

YMMV
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV