not so super...

DHX - first ride report

My latest bout of upgrade-itis has landed me a Fox DHX 5.0 to replace the Vanilla RC ProPedal on My Moment. Even though it came with a 500lb spring and I need a 600lb, I took it out on the trails last night for a comparison to the RC. I set it up as follows: Bottom out adjuster 1 line down from the top, 8 clicks of rebound, Propedal 4 clicks from full, 4 turns of preload and 180psi in the chamber. On a side note (Warning? LBS rant) I stopped at a LBS to get a shock pump and the guy brings one out but it does not have a gauge. I ask if they have a gauge or better yet a pump with a gauge built in. He responds ?you don?t need a gauge; you can just feel when it is right.? OK?I never need to go back there again.

My ride started with a climb that is rutted and X-crossed with thousands of roots. I never noticed any bob with the RC but it was harsh over the roots. The DHX made them all disappear also without any noticeable bob. The next section of trail is my favorite DH section which snakes its way down the hill with lots of small drops thrown in for fun. The DHX seemed to allow the rear wheel to track much better in the corners allowing me to brake less and it has a very good feel landing the drops which allowed me to exit faster and in more control. I also cleaned a very tough climb that normally causes me to dab at least twice. The trail repeats this combo 5 more times leaving a perm-a-smile on my face. I then rode a fast, curvy, flat section the runs along side the river and again no noticeable bob even with my pedal mashing cadence. Another plus is that the DHX does not rob your ability to spring the bike over obsticles like the 5th Element and others that are similar. I hope after the addition of the new spring these traits don?t disappear. I didn?t ditch my RC just in case the DHX performed worse or no better, but after last nights performance I would guess that there will be a 7.875x2.25 Vanilla RC PP in the classifieds in a week or two for you Moment owners that might be regretting the air shock option. For you lurking Turner owners who have small and medium frames it is worth a small dent in the down tube IMO.

Now the problem is my fork. The DHX made my Vanilla RLC feel like doo-doo. If the new 36 has the same technology it?s mine. Somebody stop me!!

Edit: Just found this statement in the manual that I just downloaded. I hope I didn't damage my shock as I cycled it a few times with out any air pressure.

From DHX Manual Pg16. Important Note: DO NOT ride or cycle the DHX shock with less than 75psi in the Boost Valve. This will damage the shock requiring repairs that are not covered under warranty.
    Last edited by SSINGA; 08-20-2004 at 01:31 PM. Reason: add new info regaurding the DHX
    Nothing to see here.

Brass Nipples!

Great report

If my experience fortells anything, you'll like it even better with the right spring.
    {Principal Skinner} Hmm. Whoever did this is in very deep trouble.
    {Martin} And a sloppy speller too. The preferred spelling of 'wiener' is w - i - e - n - e - r, although 'e - i' is an acceptable ethnic variant.

oly
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SSINGA

The DHX seemed to allow the rear wheel to track much better in the corners allowing me to brake less and it has a very good feel landing the drops which allowed me to exit faster and in more control.

. For you lurking Turner owners who have small and medium frames it is worth a small dent in the down tube IMO.

Untill getting my DHX i never really knew the real meaning of "tracking" Upon swapping to the DHX i now know. Just like you said i can nail some corners that always left me skidding off the trail because of having to hit the brakes....some how i can now rail the corner without problem.... The romic was a decent shock, the DHX is much better. Ive experienced all the same things you wrote in the review.

Also, i am a lurking Turner 5spot ride and I ride the medium. Turner still wont reccomend this shock on my frame because of how close the fit is, but ive been on a bunch of rides with no problem. Ive done all the fit tests and feel confident, I did remove the bottom out knob, but once thats set its good. Plus i can still use a box wrench to adjust. 1 full turn is 1 line on the canister. For small users there may not be enough room though.

Darren from PUSH did say on Ridemonkey there are DHX mods in the works.... These Mods seemed to be both for fit and performance. As he put it. (not exactly his words, but the general idea). the DHX is an amazing shock, but still can be given the PUSH hop up.....

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by oly
    Darren from PUSH did say on Ridemonkey there are DHX mods in the works.... These Mods seemed to be both for fit and performance. As he put it. (not exactly his words, but the general idea). the DHX is an amazing shock, but still can be given the PUSH hop up.....
    Hmmm...a pushed DHX. Very interesting! Also heard they were going to start doing Fox forx. Maybe he can make my Vanilla feel more like the DHX until I can get my hands on a 36.
    Nothing to see here.

rr
    I don't do PC
    Hmmm...a pushed DHX. Very interesting! Also heard they were going to start doing Fox forx. Maybe he can make my Vanilla feel more like the DHX until I can get my hands on a 36.
    I keep hearing about the 36, are there photos or info. on this fork?

not so super...

36 info

Quote Originally Posted by rroeder
    I keep hearing about the 36, are there photos or info. on this fork?
    Click here
    Nothing to see here.

oly
    mtbr member
    Theres alot in the works down there....this should be a big year for them. I still prefer my marz, but this is the year im deciding to get a new fork. Marz, fox, rockshox, manitou..... all have good offerings. Im thinking 5-5.5" max though for the 5-spot. Any more and ill have a chopper.Fox is one i'd consider is push did indeed do upgrades.....

oh, and the cure for upgrade-itis is a shot of the Broke-itis virus...... the cure works well, except that it still leaves you prone to catch the ever dreadful variation called brokebutstillwant-itis virus........
    Last edited by oly; 08-20-2004 at 01:20 PM.

not so super...

Update

The 600lb spring came in and this shock still amazes me. It is so compliant when landing drops but still handles the little stuff extremely well all with out the bob. The Moment / DHX combo appears to be a perfect match (hmmmm...I wonder if Ells had this shock in mind when they designed the Moment). I had to adjust the settings a little with the new spring so it is now set up as follows:
    125psi in the boost valve, Air chamber adjuster on the second line down from the top, 2 full turns of preload, 9 clicks of rebound, Propedal 4 clicks from full. I still would like to play with the setting a little more to see what the differences are but these worked well for trail riding.
    Nothing to see here.

"Its All Good"

Smile

This could well be percieved as an ignorant question, anywayz. How would the DHX shock go in my DARE, replacing my Vanilla RC.

Bare in mind my DARE is more setup for FR, all mountain, as I have said in New Zealand we have no option but to pedal up the hills to be able to come down.

Appreciate your thoughts. Am coming to the States in early September for work, no better time to catch the upgradeitis disease, very hard to cure, mine was semi cured getting back into mountain bikes after having to give up motocross. That form of upgradeitis really dents wallets etc. Mind you this DARE does, but boy it is a pleasure to ride, well like sex on toast really..
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    May 2004

Sorry Dude

Whafe, There is no such thing as an ignorant question, just lame answers sometimes, like in this situation. You had asked about DHX fitment on your 2004 DARE and unfortunately the fitment is a No Go. Yes this is a bummer but I just spent a solid week riding DH on the DARE up at Mammoth, and Deathstar testing with the stock 2004 FOX Vanilla RC ProPedal shock (and some other stuff) and the performance level of the bike completely blew me away.
    Anyhow all is not lost and remember Interbike is right around the corner.

The DHX shock fitment is also a No Go on the Id. Maybe you could run a 3.0, or 4.0 version DHX in there, might fit on a size Large or something but for us there are no compromises, and yes we are bummed it does not fit.
    (See the 5-Spot is not the only application that is challenged)
    The good news for all here is the stock 2005 FOX Float R Custom Tune, and standard ProPedal Tune shocks, as well as the 05 Answer Swinger 3-Ways are pretty darn impressive level performing shocks right out of the gate. The RP3 is cool too for you Mr. Gadget types but you must perform a slight mod to shorten the lever. The Schrader airport must be oriented outboard from the rockers. This puts the lever in between the rocker arms only it does not allow the lever to fully engage the +, and -, ProPedal modes. (a full length RP3 lever will contact the inside of both rocker arms) With the blue RP3 lever shortened up 15mm you will then experience the adjustment range this shock has to offer. We tested the RP3 last Dec/Feb. We found the standard full time; fully active shocks were consistently our favorites. Ellsworth bicycles are inherently very pedal efficient by virtue of the ICT patented design.

Singa, glad to hear you are enjoying the MOMENT, and new DHX 5.0 shock. Maybe post some pics of you scralping the trails on your new bike. It sounds like you are spoiled with some rad East Coast technical trails near you. Have a great weekend everyone, ride your bikes a lot. Cheers, Nooner

"Its All Good"
    Hi Nooner

Thank you for your reply. Dont for a monent feel I am not happy with the Vanilla RC PP. All is great. Just read that review of the DHX and thought heck I have this disease upgradeitis and thought it may make my DARE even better.

Need some more DARE's in New Zealand, have not seen one yet, it makes me a little shy when loads of people go wow bla bla. Keep spreading the word, but to no avail have not seen any yet...........

Cheers
    Whafe
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth Bicycles
    Singa, glad to hear you are enjoying the MOMENT, and new DHX 5.0 shock. Maybe post some pics of you scralping the trails on your new bike. It sounds like you are spoiled with some rad East Coast technical trails near you. Have a great weekend everyone, ride your bikes a lot. Cheers, Nooner
    I'm having so much fun riding I keep forgeting to take any action shots. I'm in the process of adding some Goodridge brake lines and I hope to get it done to get a chance to ride this week. I'll try to get a pics of what Moments do best - shred trail.
    Nothing to see here.

FleshwoundGravityResearch

why not on the id?

Quote Originally Posted by Ellsworth Bicycles
    Whafe,
    The DHX shock fitment is also a No Go on the Id. Maybe you could run a 3.0, or 4.0 version DHX in there, might fit on a size Large or something but for us there are no compromises, and yes we are bummed it does not fit. Cheers, Nooner
    Why do say there is not compatibility for the iD? There appears to be more room than in the moment's triangle. I am very curious about this because I had narrowed my new ride choice down to the id, but was hoping to upgrade the romic...

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    Why do say there is not compatibility for the iD? There appears to be more room than in the moment's triangle. I am very curious about this because I had narrowed my new ride choice down to the id, but was hoping to upgrade the romic...
    Look at the thumbnails on the Ells site. The bottom shock mount for the Moment is closer to the seattube and higher giving the clearance for the DHX reservior. The ID's lower mount is more centered between the downtube and seattube and also closer to the BB. While the DHX is nice the standard ProPedal gives a similar ride(but not sure if it's reservior would clear either) You could maybe go the air route and get the new Fox RP3?

Pics courtesy of the Ells web site.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nothing to see here.

FleshwoundGravityResearch

thanks, SSINGA

but are you saying that if on the id, the DHX would move toward the downtube during compression enough that the reservoir would hit the downtube? If so, that is a big distance to cover. I had tried to seek out the advice of 'experts' and this is the message I recieved from Speedgoat tech ;
    Can the Fox DHX be substituted on this frame ('04 ID)?

------------------------------------------------------------

Right now we aren`t sure about this since Ellsworth is constantly changing their
    shock choices for the frames.

Thanks!
    Speedgoat Tech

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn hack
    but are you saying that if on the id, the DHX would move toward the downtube during compression enough that the reservoir would hit the downtube? If so, that is a big distance to cover. I had tried to seek out the advice of 'experts' and this is the message I recieved from Speedgoat tech ;
    Can the Fox DHX be substituted on this frame ('04 ID)?

------------------------------------------------------------

Right now we aren`t sure about this since Ellsworth is constantly changing their
    shock choices for the frames.

Thanks!
    Speedgoat Tech
    I think it has more to do with how low the mount is on the Id compaired to the Moment.

Call 760-788-7500
    Nothing to see here.

The Ancient One
    I think it has more to do with how low the mount is on the Id compaired to the Moment.

Call 760-788-7500
    I think you're right. And it looks like the DHX would fit on the Truth too. The shock is mounted silmilarly to the Moment.

When they come out with the air version the DHX might be the lightweight way to go for the Truth.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve from JH
    I think you're right. And it looks like the DHX would fit on the Truth too. The shock is mounted silmilarly to the Moment.

When they come out with the air version the DHX might be the lightweight way to go for the Truth.
    I thought the Fox RP3 was the air equivalent of the DHX.
    Nothing to see here.

The Ancient One
    I thought the Fox RP3 was the air equivalent of the DHX.
    Somebody posted about a forthcoming air version of the DHX. I thought the RP3 only had 3 way adjustable propedal and not the boost valve thing. But I could very well be wrong.

Anyway, my main point was that the DHX 5 in the 7.875 by 2.00 size looks like it should fit on an '04 Truth.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve from JH
    Somebody posted about a forthcoming air version of the DHX. I thought the RP3 only had 3 way adjustable propedal and not the boost valve thing. But I could very well be wrong.

Anyway, my main point was that the DHX 5 in the 7.875 by 2.00 size looks like it should fit on an '04 Truth.
    You're correct - no boost valve on the RP3. The 3 models (3.0-4.0-5.0) of the DHX are all coil based according to the Fox Owners manual (and I think the 3 or the 4, maybe both, will be OEM only).
    From what I can tell these are the differences.
    The 3.0 only has rebound and the air boost valve.
    The 4.0 adds the adjustable Pro pedal settings
    The 5.0 adds the adjustable boost valve resevoir

I've not seen anything on an all air version. Possible though, I guess.
    Nothing to see here.