Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

DHX air on moment

Hi folks
    Gonna be getting a dhx air for my moment soon does it have to be mounted upside down ?
    Many thanks
    Mick

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickmc
    Hi folks
    Gonna be getting a dhx air for my moment soon does it have to be mounted upside down ?
    Many thanks
    Mick
    Nope...what are you replacing, BTW?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Cheers mr chad, am replacing a dhx5 its bit too complicated for me really, too much stuff to mess with so thought the air might be simpler so gonna give it a go,seen some upside down and wondered why
    Cheers
    Mick

VooDoo user.
    I posted this same question a while back and was told it had to be upside-down. Clearance issues.

Also on a side note, I've read constantly that the Air is more of a pain to get dialed in. Also I think you will miss the buttery smoothness of the coil.

Time is not a road.
    My mistake, yes you do because of the air valve.

The DHX air is a DHX 5, it's just the spring is different. Now, I have mounted my RP23 right side up with the adjuster face out and the air valve does clear the rocker, but I don't know about the DHX air, it may be different.

IMO, the RP23 is a better shock than the DHX for general riding. The "5" means you get bottom out resistance, but in an air fork, this seems irrelevant because of the progressive nature of air. Adding air to a coil shock makes sense, but to me, the DHX air is redundant.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433

The DHX air is a DHX 5, it's just the spring is different.
    You're wrong. The internal damping is different between the air and coil version, they therefore feel different out on the trail, they work differently.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Cheers guys
    I've now gotta ask the difference between rp23 and dhx air but in terms of riding i.e. how will it feel ?
    I don't really understand the technical stuff , the dhx 5 coil that i have on is superb really its just that i never adjust anything on it and think maybe i am not getting the best out of it,if i get an air shock cant i just put right pressure in and thats that, sorry if i sound lazy but i work full time and have three kids here on my own so when i get chance to ride i like to do just that, get on the bike and ride it and thought the air shock would be easier and less stuff to faff about with
    The coil has 15 clicks of pro pedal but i just leave it somewhere near the middle all the time and it feels like the shock is wasted on me to be honest, sure some of you will be disgusted at my ignorance but any advice will be much appreciated and if I do invest in a new shock i will be keeping the coil one just in case
    many thanks
    Mick

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    You're wrong. The internal damping is different between the air and coil version, they therefore feel different out on the trail, they work differently.
    So the DHX Air doesn't have five adjustments? How and why are they different?

My point is, the air version will not be less complicated than the coil version, so I'm not wrong in my statement.
    Last edited by chad1433; 12-05-2006 at 06:56 AM.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    So the DHX Air doesn't have five adjustments? How and why are they different?
    Adjustments do not define how a shock/fork feels. You can have ZERO adjustments with a shock that is perfectly adjusted to you internally, and it will work perfectly. You could have a billion adjustments on a shock/fork and they may be virtually useless and not affect certain ride characteristics. Just because it has 5 adjustments does NOT mean that it's the "same" as the DHX coil, and in this case it's actually quite different internally.

Now, you could say that due to the lack of damping, that the "air" version will be harder to tune, because many people will want to eliminate the "wallow" or fact that it blows through the mid stroke too easily, so they'll probably run smaller air chambers, more compression damping (air pressure), and in the end it may be harder to tune for the ride/rider than the coil version. Again, due to the internal difference.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

AKA shitbird
    I have a DHX air on my moment and yes you must install up-side down.

This shock feels incredible....most of the time. Like Jayem mentions it does kind of blow through the stroke unless ran with alot of air pressure. Problem with lots of pressure though is that it stiffens up what would have been a super smooooooth ride at lower pressure. I probably don't have mine set up 100% correct most of the time though. I use this bike for every type of riding from smooth xc single track to insanely techinal loose rocky stuff, DH, dirt jumping, light freeride, and 24 hour races. I have to mess with the air pressure all the time to get the ride just right but ussually it's just a matter of increasing/decreasing air in the main chamber to make it a stiffer for climbing/xc or softer for technical/rocky rides.

All in all I'm pretty happy with the shock cause it has so much adjustability. If I was doing just one type of riding I'm pretty sure I could get it tuned just right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

coil vs air shocks...

mickmc,
    this seems odd to me, you want to replace a perfectly good (coil) shock that you dont quite understand with a possibly sinpler (air) shock, but keep the DHX5.

...beggs the question: "if it ain't broke, why fix it?" Just spend the little time you need to dial it in where you like it and go ride. This will prolly take less time overall than replacing the shock and trying to dial in the new one.

Furthermore, coil springs are pretty consistent while air isnt. For example, depending on your climate, a 30 degree C temperature swing changes your air pressure >10% (PV=NRT). Not all air shocks do...but some have the tendency to leak air as well...you you regularly have to check your air pressure.

Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket, or you want to save the weight of the coil spring, do yourself a favor and keep what you got...by all accounts its a good shock.

my 0.02$,
    Thumbies

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Cheers thumbies
    Thats probably the best answer i could have got, its given me the kick up the backside i needed i think, i havent got money burning a hole and am not bothered bout the weight at 31lbs its not at all heavy anyway
    might have been a case of i haven't bought anything new for the bike since i built it so what can i change !!! gonna have a mess with the coil shock and get it dialled in,try adjusting and see how it feels
    as you say if it aint broke why fix it
    many thanks chaps
    mick

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

DHX 5 Air vs. RS Pearl vs. Manitou Evolver Air on Moment

Greetings Guys,

wanted to ask if for a guys my size 215/245 w. Gear. an air shock is a good choice.

i kinda miss the air shock feeling i had in my previous bike, and wouldn't mind to shave the extra 1.5 lbs.

currently have DHX 5 coil with a 700lbs spring...

was wondering if moving to Air on the moment is a good choice, especially with the 1 to 3 ratio on the Moment (2" stroke / 6" travel)

if so, any experience with shocks other than Fox?

Cheers,

----
    keep it round

MTB Monkey

Spring rate

Quote Originally Posted by pedal-on
    wanted to ask if for a guys my size 215/245 w....

----
    keep it round

Pedal-On, have you tried any other spring rates? I'm also 215, and have run a 600 and 500lb spring on the DHX5. 600 has a nice firm feel and climbs and pedals great. But 500 keeps the wheel on the ground better. 550 would probably be perfect for me. How much sag are you getting?

I think with the bottom out control on the DHX, you could run a softer spring.

- J

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Hi J,

well i originally ran the 500, which was WAAAY to soft.

i actually like the 700, it does a decent job climbing with propedal all the way on, and decending with propedal all the way off. it's only that i feel coil in any setup looses ground contact more than air...

i may wait for the Air shock untill next season, but wondering if it is reliable enough for guys our size? 215lbs no gear..

cheers,

-Lior

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So what's your guys dhx 5.0 air set up on your Moment: Here's a guide: Thx.

Rider Weight (w/ equipment) =
    Main Chamber PSI =
    Boost PSI =
    Bottom Out =
    Rebound =
    Propedal (15 Clicks) =
    Sag =

VooDoo user.
    Another option would be to have push industries tune your present coil dhx. Check them out. The turner guys have lots of good things to say about the tuneing they do.

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    Another option would be to have push industries tune your present coil dhx. Check them out. The turner guys have lots of good things to say about the tuneing they do.
    Yeah...that's a good option. One problem with coil shocks and spring weights, especially the springs Fox is using, is the wide range of variance in the coil itself (some 10-15% variance). So determining the correct spring rate can be difficult because two springs of the same weight can be totally different. I'm not sure if Push can help with this, but they might be able to. My local shop carries a large number of different springs so it's easier to find one that works. If you plan on keeping the DHX Coil and want to optimize its capability, getting a good sping would be beneficial. Having it custom tuned would be the best path to enlightenment where the DHX is concerned...

Time is not a road.
    Quote Originally Posted by pedal-on
    Greetings Guys,

wanted to ask if for a guys my size 215/245 w. Gear. an air shock is a good choice.

i kinda miss the air shock feeling i had in my previous bike, and wouldn't mind to shave the extra 1.5 lbs.

was wondering if moving to Air on the moment is a good choice, especially with the 1 to 3 ratio on the Moment (2" stroke / 6" travel)

if so, any experience with shocks other than Fox?

Cheers,

----
    keep it round
    I run an RP23 and really like it, much better than the DHX Coil I started with. You've got about 40 or so pounds on me weight wise, but I don't believe that the air shocks are weight limited.

I've thought about maybe buying a Roco Air as they're supposed to be pretty inexpensive so just buying it to try it wouldn't be so bad. I really run my shocks with minimal compression damping so the simplicity of the Roco would be fine for me.

There's also Manitou's line which some people have said works well with Ellsworth bikes. I don't think there's been much experimentation with them on these boards though. I'd like to try one for shytes and grins sometime. Their shocks seem to be better than their forks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Wow....I just installed my DHX Air 5.0 to replace my Romic yesterday and just got back from its first ride. Such an amazing change. The shock now feels bottomless and the bike peddles far more efficently. The bike soaks up the hits so much better now. I have a smile your ear to ear right. Your going to love yours!

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by mickmc
    Cheers mr chad, am replacing a dhx5 its bit too complicated for me really, too much stuff to mess with so thought the air might be simpler so gonna give it a go,seen some upside down and wondered why
    Cheers
    Mick
    How is the DHX 5 Coil more complicated that the Air version? I have the DHX Coil, and it it was VERY simple to set up! The air on the otherhand has pressure you have pressure to tinker with in additon to the boost... If the spring you have is providing you with the right amout of sag, i think the DHX air is going to be more difficult to set up. Sticking with what you have is what I would advise because you are not going to make setup any easier by going the the air version.
    If I want your opinion, I will give give it to you...

You got like 3 feet of air that time... -Napoleon Dynamite

mtbr member
    The reviews on the DHx Air is that they stick after a few rides. Anyone know better? I was thinking about replacing the Romic on my Id with the DHX Air, but after the reviews, I am not sure now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by h2owagon
    The reviews on the DHx Air is that they stick after a few rides. Anyone know better? I was thinking about replacing the Romic on my Id with the DHX Air, but after the reviews, I am not sure now.

I think fox has that issue resolved...a bad batch of seals. I have some friends that have been running the DHX Airs, with no problems as far as I know...
    If I want your opinion, I will give give it to you...

You got like 3 feet of air that time... -Napoleon Dynamite

AKA shitbird
    I've had the DHX on my Moment for...I dunno 8 months, a year... not a single problem so far
    JRA

SMR
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've had my DHX-Air 5 since last April with zero problems. Again it was just a bad batch of seals. I wouldn't let that affect your decision. There was also a small batch of RP3's that stuck down. My LBS said they didn't see many probelms at all last year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast