camera guy

Good job! Demo ride a moment with the Downieville Outfitters

I got my custom build thru Greg Long
    Talas 36 RC2,formula K24s,Fox DHX 5.0 air, Mavis sx wheels, WTB saddle, Sram X-9 shifters, race face Atlas cranks,headset,neck,seat post and bottom bracket.
    The bike rides like a dream,at a weight of 27 pounds

MTB SOCAL

27 pounds !

WOW. My med Moment also has a Fox DHX Air, Fox 36 TALAS RC2, Thomsom stem and seatpost, Hayes carbon brakes, Chris King / Mavic 819 wheelset, XT Hollowtech crankset, Easton aluminum bar, SRAM X - gen front der, SRAM XO rear der. But, it weights 31.5 lbs. How on earth did you get a Moment to 27 lbs? GOOD WORK.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

camera guy

put your Moment on a wieght loss plan

Quote Originally Posted by yangpei
    WOW. My med Moment also has a Fox DHX Air, Fox 36 TALAS RC2, Thomsom stem and seatpost, Hayes carbon brakes, Chris King / Mavic 819 wheelset, XT Hollowtech crankset, Easton aluminum bar, SRAM X - gen front der, SRAM XO rear der. But, it weights 31.5 lbs. How on earth did you get a Moment to 27 lbs? GOOD WORK.
    start with your wheels,go Mavic SL UST wheels,punt the brakes,go formula K18/K24 180/200 much liter system FSA gravity bars, what kind of saddle do you have,try to find a liter one if possible.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I really don't think your Moment weighs 27Ibs. The lowest i've had mine is 30 and that is with SX wheels, oro brakes, Pace forks, XTR everywhere, Float R shock, carbon bars etc. Unless you have ridiculous tyres on there, then it just isn't possible. I think i could have gone to 29 with skinny tyres, but i really don't want to end up in casualty.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

MTB SOCAL

Moment is a trail bike

The Moment is a 6 in travel trail bike. It's meant to be able to do drops. Therefore, I purposely built my bike with all-mountain components - no carbon and reasonable weight wheels. The Mavic 819's are pretty light. The Mavic SL's are cross country race wheels. I would use those on a 3-4 in travel xc bike, if I had one. The Moment frame is 8lbs with air shock, the 36 TALAS is about 5 lbs. If I wanted to make my bike as light as I wanted to and still be happy with it's strength for intended uses, it'd be about 30 lbs. That's running reasonably light 700-800 gm 2.3 tires (not 2.1 xc tires).
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

i see your problem...

Its the x-gen front der.
    Damn thing is a frickin boat anchor

dont believe me? take it off and give it a heft.
    OK so maybe its not going to save you pounds ,
    but comparing it on the bench to my cheapy old LX and the x-gen feels like it weighs at least double.

It also turns out to be incompatible with a generic triple chainring setup (RF Deus) on my Epiphany (when set up within the SRAM spec)...bottoms out on the chainstay at about 4.75 inches of travel....

Thumb

VooDoo user.
    Are you sure its not an EPI. My Med. Moment weighs around 35#'s. I really don't want to know the actual weight cause it may be more.

27#'s? Maybe with a full XC build on a small frame with ai shock..

Time is not a road.
    Mine it totally 27#s...it's me that's so fat.

camera guy

I thought it was lighter

I'm a ass, I just put my Moment on a real bike scale and it weighs 30 pounds , sorry for making your blood boil,but It still climbs like a 27 pounder

MTB SOCAL

Thanks

I feel better. I know my build isn't the lightest in the world, but it isn't that heavy either. I can live with 31.5 lbs. Enjoy the bike - I love my Moment! I haven't been up to Downieville in a while, but would love to take the Moment the next time I go.
    Kokopelli Racing

camera guy

Ahh Downieville

I feel better. I know my build isn't the lightest in the world, but it isn't that heavy either. I can live with 31.5 lbs. Enjoy the bike - I love my Moment! I haven't been up to Downieville in a while, but would love to take the Moment the next time I go.
    When you do get up there with your Moment let us know,we will go hammer big boulder or Elwell those are good all mountain rides