VooDoo user.

DARE made its way to.......

the Ellsworth website. Check it out for more info.

Just an FYI.

KOKOPELLI RACING
    makes my old-school dare sound like a piece of crap.
    kokopelli racing

Outcast
    The Dare uses a 2.5 stroke shock for it's 9 inches of travel; that's a leverage ratio of 3.6 to 1. I'm sorry, I realize they don't have enough room in the frame for a longer stroke shock, but that is just dumb. It appears appearance/appeal outweighed common sense in this design.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I almost wonder if that's a misprint. The old Dare and current Rogue both use a 8.75"x2.75". A much more respectable, but still high 3.3 to 1.

El Malo
    I realize that the Dare ICT suspension system may not match or supercede the lesser stressed systems other manufacturers have to offer, and granted, I am not a pro racer, but I have thoroughly enjoyed my '05 Dare, which is equiped with an 8.75x2.80 shock on a solid chassis capable of handling everything I can throw at it plus many Whistler / Shore outings without having to replace said shock. Much less damage the frame.
    I guess it also matters how abusive or smooth the rider is with their equipment.
    Bottom line, this bike pedals, climbs and descends beautifully.

In addition, dare I say that categorizing the Moment as a Freeride bike is a bit much ?!
    It IS a killer trailbike day in and day out, tho'...

My curious questions are the following:
    - Whether or not Chris Glew, who is pictured in the Ellsworth website, is a sponsored rider ?
    - Also, there are regurgitated articles about Josh Bender's tragic fall 2yrs ago in Moab, but I don't see any videos or literature that features Bender as a sponsored ambassador of Ellsworth FR/DH bikes... WHY ?
    "... the only thing we have to fear is fear itself - "

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Moment can be SOME freeride.

Not that it was the smartest thing to do, but I've done quite a bit on my Moment and it has held up. I've raced a few downhill races with it (with a Slider), taken it to a lot of dirt jumps and shore type stuff (Pike) and even done a 6' to flat concrete (not smart) and surprisingly, it has held up like crazy. I'm not running a 66ATA SL on it and with that fork, it seems like more than 6" of travel, so I'll probably keep upping the ante.

I've had it since 05 and a frame ridden this hard probably won't go for mu so I'm going to really try to push it's limits this year since I no longer live in NC and can't really use my Stab to often.

I'll let you know if/when it breaks and what I trade out to. BTW, I also weigh over 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I was worried about my Rogue and my 220 Lbs. Now I feel more confident. Thanks

mtbr member
    They don't seem to come out and say who any of their sponsored riders are, a little odd I guess.
    Yeah, Benders crash, sponsored by Banshee at the time, but riding a Canfield when he bit it... kinda makes your (future) sponsors a little hesitant throw their support behind you. A shame 'cause Bender is a pretty nice guy.

My cup runneth over
    I went to read about the Dare and searched on Ellsworth Bikes (Yahoo) and it returned the following:

ELLSWORTH HANDCRAFTED BIKES
    Meticulously hand-built bikes with a lifetime warranty. ... B.C. Mexico was the Inaugural Baja Ultra Endurance 100k Mountain Bike race...
    www.ellsworthbikes.com - 8k - Cached

I was surprised to see the with a lifetime warranty part with what was returned from the search and then couldn't find (only 5 min of searching) any further reference to the warranty on the site. What gives? Have they gone back to a lifetime warranty or is this just one of the old marketing slight of hands of old (sorry for the cynicism) or did I just not spend enought time looking for more details of the warranty on the site?
    Last edited by rmac; 12-25-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Canfield Brothers
    The reality is that Josh bought a custom bike from us and it resulted in him getting droped from Banshee. Ellsworth picked him up and is totally behind him.
    The crash where he broke his back and ankle was a few months after he signed with Ellsworth and he was riding his Dare. Jash has some wierd thing with roads and getting clobbered. Anyway I saw him a few weeks ago and he was stoked on Ellsworth and was planning a big year with them. He's looking strong and feeling good. He's been a close friend for a long time and I'm stoked that he's back riding and has a great thing going.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinS
    They don't seem to come out and say who any of their sponsored riders are, a little odd I guess.
    Yeah, Benders crash, sponsored by Banshee at the time, but riding a Canfield when he bit it... kinda makes your (future) sponsors a little hesitant throw their support behind you. A shame 'cause Bender is a pretty nice guy.

mtbr member
    Good to hear, I was just going by what one of the guys at Banshee told me, I was under the understanding that he was 'technically' still on Banshee at the time of his crash. I've met Bender several times over the years and really liked chatting with him.

In FTF We Trust
    FWIW he was signing posters for Ellsworth at Interbike in September; I got one.
    "I'll disintegrate over time if I expect my body to try to keep up with my mind" -BM

Race, Rocks or Road...Just Ride

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm@ndo
    but I have thoroughly enjoyed my '05 Dare, which is equiped with an 8.75x2.80 shock
    Your spring probably says 8.75x2.80, but the shock stroke is 2.75". The .05" extra is meant for preload, although that one particular spring size gives you virtually no preload (like 2 turns of the collar), so be carefull. If you preload that spring too much you'll be damaging your shock. A few of the spring sizes that fox made for their shocks over the years have been real close like this, you have more leeway sometimes with others.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.