Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

VooDoo user.
    Part Chaos Part Dare. Good job Ellsworth.

If this gets made for the General public it could make up for the RIDE!!!

Please Make for us.

Rolling
    If I could just get the pink cable housing I would be happy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm sure blackfly will be along in a minute to give the view from the shore. (he speaks for the entire community you know)
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

Dave Turner[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Time is not a road.
    Sweet! Looks really good...I hope it brings April some podiums this season.

trail fairy
    Sweet! Looks really good...I hope it brings April some podiums this season.
    Dude I'll be just happy if it brings April

Anywhere

Is it just me or does the head angle look a little steep
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by trailadvent
    Is it just me or does the head angle look a little steep
    Looks fairly slack to me.

Probably an optical illusion with the steering turned slightly to the right along with all those other angles playing games.

Leash Law Enforcer
    Looks good. Can't wait to see some numbers and hear some reports on it.
    "I didn't even use crutches when I broke my leg!" - Aquaholic

mtbr member
    They sure know how to make bikes look good at Ellsworth! I'm very curious to see how light i t really is. If it works well for April it might be a great DH bike for lighter riders. The size small looks killer too!

on a routine expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by lidarman
    If I could just get the pink cable housing I would be happy.
    http://www.pinkcables.com/

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=CA4341

Time is not a road.
    Awwww...Rich...you're on the hook now!

Those would look phat on my grey Moment with pink King bling...I must have the pink Dangerboy levers (anyone wanna trade? I have black...you buy the pink, we'll trade... )

"Its All Good"
    Good to actually see that the cats out of the bag. While in communication with Dave at Ellsworth sorting out the blingo ling Ride, he made mentioned the Dare was coming back. Could well be available in December.... Oh well, a year too late for me, am stoked beyond stoked with the Nicolai GBoxx scooter......

Blackfly, please give me your thoughts on my Nicolai...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Why aren't you riding????
    From someone who tries to be objective, loves their Ellsworth and has never had to deal with the "dreaded C.S." I ask......why? A 10k beach cruiser and now this? Someone at Ellsworth thinks that this offering is better than the last model dares or a Rogue frame? I really don't get them. They come out with the rogue, which in my opinion is a great looking frame. It has the same styling of the entire line and would need minimum changes to be all out DH ready, but instead we will discontinue the loved Dare frame , sh*tcan the Chaos before it's ever released and combine the two, anodize it pink and say "were back".

So hard to be optimistic anymore.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I can give none. I have seen only one Nicolai here on the Shore. It was well built up and well ridden. But being German, it seemed to be overcomplicated, like all Nicolais. As one maker once said "those who have many adjustments have yet to figure out what really works". I cannot vouch for that but the rear end was supple, welds fine and the rider seemed happy.

You seem to think that I have a grudge against everything, but this is not true. I only point out what I see, and it cannot be my fault the truth can hurt.

I love Turner, but it is not well represented here, and the pivot maintainence is a nightmare. Only available from Turner I hear. No floating rear end. Bad for braking. I am not suprised that you think the first look of the Dare would illicit a bad response, but actually I am neutral.

I am not a fan of pink, first. But it has the Rogue rear end and thus the ICT design, no suprise. If it has the same rear travel as the Rogue one begs to ask: why?

If you already have a FR bike that has 8" travel, then why add extra beef for a DH bike with the same travel? Look at Foes. The Fly has 8 or 9" travel, but the DH model has 10". And only it has that amount. You would expect the DH version to have more at least. But it does look like the front end is beefier. But again, it looks. I cannot try one nor do I suspect to do so soon. The price will be high to get one and around here, the word is out, and once a bad rep ensues, it is hard to get past. I would love to see a head to head test with the Dare against the Knolly V-Tach. Both have the same travel, the V-Tach is far heavier, with a Horst link rear end, and it is locally designed. I would like to see what is favoured better.

Of course, the new Dare would win. Lighter, more nimble and probably a shorter wheelbase. But the needs of real riders need to be thought of. What about longevity, servicability or warranty? Will the new Dare be warrantiable after a hard months' use on Whistler? The Knolly is. I do not have a Knolly nor do I plan to sell my Foes for it, but it is only an example.

As long as the frame has a replaceable derailleur hanger, I am happy. To each his or her own. Beauty is, truly, in the eye of the beholder.

trail fairy
    BF

You will be way more knowledgeable than me for whats best at Whistler I nver had the pleasure of going there.

I guess for me reading your coments you ride a FR bike yet the Dare is a DH bike the Rogue is supposed to be an FR bike though I agree too light for that Turner Highline.
    It does seem to me the DH bikes are popular there, but Ellsworth have gone more to high end lightest possbile boutique spectrum they don't look to cater for masses so I miss your point, it seems to me they aren't interested in that market or they would have options for it, maybe for the numbers they produce each year it doesn't make business sense, for I don't really care about that its not my business.

But based on what u are saying then if I use the SCruz as an example there V10 is really a race bike and the VP Free is there FR bike straight forward simple little real cross over.

However both bikes proabley could be configured to each disipline, is this your point for Ellsworth?

If I was to go to Whistler tommorrow I would proably take a DHR or Highline with a 888 that would be my choice or my current rig, Kona Stab Supreme.

so it seems to me the Dare has missed it opportunity, I don't see why people would buy one now over the current crop of outstanding DH bikes out there other than maybe exisiting E owners who want to keep there stable in an E line, the other DH offereing at the top in are way better now, and I base that on the tech they are using compared to what the other mans have moved to since the last Dare was available which personally I thought the 05 was beautiful and should have kept being produced until a new model superseeded it.

They have lost too much ground, but hey its omo and there race program may develop something special in time, all good

I will say at the time I rode Whafes Dare it was one of the nicest and lightest DH rigs around, pity he sold it, I would have loved to have looked after it longer for him, dam you Whafe for wrecking your shoulder again
    Last edited by trailadvent; 04-18-2007 at 08:02 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Couple of things, first the bike is pink because it is April Lawyers bike. The production piece will not be pink only.

Second the bike has 9" of rear travel the Rogue is 8".

DH racing actually does not put the same strain on a frame or bike that you crazy Shore freeride nuts do.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kevlar1973

DH racing actually does not put the same strain on a frame or bike that you crazy Shore freeride nuts do.
    Totally not true!

I see guys riding AM hardtails up there tearing it up on NS. NS isn't just big drops (in fact very little) it's more about woodwork, steeps, and rockyroots.

DH bikes take WAY more of a beating than a NS FR bike. Although this depends on the rider. OF course a nancy would be going 5 mph down Whistler, while Bender would be dropping 30 footers.

mtbr member
    A dear friend of mine showed me this bike a few days ago and It's absolutely phenomenal...what a lucky girl April is.
    Jenn

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I had 2 Dares and loved both. I was more than sorry to see it gone and now that it is back, I am asking myself "WHY"? The bike is no more evolved, the design is simply a longer travel version of the Rogue, nothing is different or changed, and given the bike related to the competition the bike has not changed, in any way, since 2000. I wish I could of kept my 2000 tube Dare. It was nimble, strong and pliant in every way. But designs, and needs, do change. Look at Foes. They originally had the Weasel, but over time found out what needs and wants were and made the Curnutt. Now we have the designs that have made the Mono obsolete. The 2:1 Mono is the new design. Foes is not afraid to make new ideas work and stick with them. Ellsworth sticks to time honoured designs (due to simple patent obligations, as it would be financially stupid to have a patent you don't use) and never experiments or evolves. Sure, the beach cruiser is nice, and the titanium frame is most wanted, but at the cost, not real.

You either adapt to the market and its needs, or you fall behind. With the Dare, some of us know what you get and can appreciate it, but the market expects progress, change and something newer and better. Does the Dare do this? Some would say yes, but considering the technology is old, I do not think so.

We will see. But until then.

Rolling
    --deleted reply--
    Last edited by lidarman; 04-24-2007 at 08:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfly
    I had 2 Dares and loved both. I was more than sorry to see it gone and now that it is back, I am asking myself "WHY"? The bike is no more evolved, the design is simply a longer travel version of the Rogue, nothing is different or changed, and given the bike related to the competition the bike has not changed, in any way, since 2000. I wish I could of kept my 2000 tube Dare. It was nimble, strong and pliant in every way. But designs, and needs, do change. Look at Foes. They originally had the Weasel, but over time found out what needs and wants were and made the Curnutt. Now we have the designs that have made the Mono obsolete. The 2:1 Mono is the new design. Foes is not afraid to make new ideas work and stick with them. Ellsworth sticks to time honoured designs (due to simple patent obligations, as it would be financially stupid to have a patent you don't use) and never experiments or evolves. Sure, the beach cruiser is nice, and the titanium frame is most wanted, but at the cost, not real.

You either adapt to the market and its needs, or you fall behind. With the Dare, some of us know what you get and can appreciate it, but the market expects progress, change and something newer and better. Does the Dare do this? Some would say yes, but considering the technology is old, I do not think so.

We will see. But until then.
    LOL

You are providing great entertainment on the shore over here! The pro riders I ride with think you are a God - LOL!
    "[SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]but I do not see anything in the world of suspension methods that is superior to the 4 Bar.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Dare not just for April

April is just one of three riders on Team Maxxis riding the Dare. Joined by her teammates, Cameron Cole (reigning Jr DH World Champ) and Luke Strobel, Team Maxxis is running a new version of the Dare that was conceived and built fully custom just for them. The bikes shown at Sea Otter are the first variation and I'm sure there will be others to come as Tony and everybody at Ellsworth is using the feedback from the riders.

April's is pink because the team has joined Ellsworth and others like Chris King, Jagwire, and Cateye to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer research via Project Pink. Cameron and Luke are running black Dares will typically sport the usual Team Maxxis orange accents. For Sea Otter, they had some pink trim on the bike to support the initiative.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand23
    April is just one of three riders on Team Maxxis riding the Dare. Joined by her teammates, Cameron Cole (reigning Jr DH World Champ) and Luke Strobel, Team Maxxis is running a new version of the Dare that was conceived and built fully custom just for them. The bikes shown at Sea Otter are the first variation and I'm sure there will be others to come as Tony and everybody at Ellsworth is using the feedback from the riders.

April's is pink because the team has joined Ellsworth and others like Chris King, Jagwire, and Cateye to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer research via Project Pink. Cameron and Luke are running black Dares will typically sport the usual Team Maxxis orange accents. For Sea Otter, they had some pink trim on the bike to support the initiative.
    surely the only worthy feedback is from blackfly - not these pro riders?

mtbr member

Speaking of April Lawyer...

Ya'll are focusing on the wrong thing!!! Sheesh Let me help you refocus

http://gallery.mtbr.com/data/mtbr/56...13IMG_2697.jpg

All I can say is I think I am in LOVE!

"Its All Good"
    Yep, have to say it. Most of you if not all are like me, am certain [SIZE="7"]"you would use Aprils sh!t for toothpaste"[/SIZE]

A little crude but true.... Oh to have the mtb partner that could ride like that......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast