mtbr member

Creaking Sound when peddling my TRUTH

Anyone else hearing a creaking sound when peddling? Any ideas of what this could be? I checked the seat, paddle’s and pivots. No sounds from those areas. Almost sounds like an old squeaky chair or something.

Any help on this topic would be great!
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Take off your rearshock and clean it(reducers and coil make noise),same thing to bar and stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Try putting grease between the hubs and frame. My bike had a creaking sound last week and the lbs found out it as the hubs rubbing against the dropout/frame.

mtbr member
    Put grease between the hubs and frame? That makes me a little nerves I will however clean that area but I would think there is no movement between skewers and dropouts or at least hope there is none! Maybe I’m not following your recommendation on this topic. Can you explain?
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I had an annoying creaking on my Truth, which manifested itself when I pedalled. I stripped out the shock, pivots, BB, all to no avail. Eventually I tracked it down to a dry freehub when I noticed the same noise on my Enlightenment having swapped the wheelset across!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I had a creak on my truth a while back. It ended up being the seat post.
    I thought it was the bottom bracket because it creaked when I peddled.
    It was my weight shifting on the saddle.
    The sound can really travel in an aluminum frame.
    Good Luck.

mtbr member
    I lived with an annoying creak in my Truth for the longest time. I changed out the cranks, BB but it didnt go away. Finally I took out the main pivot bolt ( the one close to the BB) and and it had completly dried out and was full of sand and grit-probably from multiple stream crossings...after I cleaned and re-lubed that part the creak was gone and the bike rode like new, completely silent. You can also try this marine grease that is resistant to water and doesnt need to be changed as often. There is a sticky in the Santa cruz forum under vp-free linkage overhaul' that talks all about it- best

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Try changing the bearings of the pivots

mtbr member
    Good luck mate, creaks can be hard to find. I have had all of the above mentioned show up. Try to determine if it is the rear suspension by not pedaling while also standing. Accuate the rear suspension and if it still creaks the issue is likely in the main pivot bolt or one of the smaller pivots. Totally rebuilding a friends Truth was required to solve this problem. It included complete replacement of the bearings. however the Ellsworth bearings can also be opened up and re-lubed... as well the pivots can be taken apart cleaned and re-lubed. There are procedures for both of these and torque specs to put it all back together on the ellsworth web site... if you cant find I can probably dig it up for you. Also... beyond bikes sells the rebuild pivot bolt and sex bolt kit with recommended ellsworth bearing grease... If you need to replace the bearings (after inspection) then enduro cycles on line has that kit. HOPEFULLY your rear end is fine and it is the bottom bracket or even better the seat or saddle stem. Those all basically require cleaning and lub and putting back together. Good luck. It would seem though about every 3 or 4 years at LEAST one should re-pack their ellsworth bearings if you have never done it especially.
    Ride to Live... Live to Ride

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Come to think of it my Moment has been a bit creaky lately . I have been just too lazy to have the problem attended to , or leave the bike in the shop .

One perk we have here in the PI is cheap skilled wrenching . For 15 bucks , I'll get my hubs, headset , pivots , bottom bracket , cassette cleaned and fresh grease applied where it be needed , along with tuning of the deraileurs and alignment of the brakes .

Although its hard to find enduro bearings , we make do with Japanese ones for around 3 bucks each .

But I must say when the bike is running silent while going fast down some single track and all you can hear is some very very faint rear shock action - Absolutely Fantastic Experience !

Note to self - better send in bike tomorrow

mtbr member
    wow, that is amazing. sorry for the ignorance but where is PI. @#$$$% it would almost be worth the drive up there for that much service for only $15.00. Oh, never mind.. gas is now $4./gal. haha. Yep, I agree, nothing like a perfectly quite bike... I have a creek now that I gotta find that I think must be the seat post.

mtbr member
    OHHHHH, the phillipines... should have looked before I sent the Question. Makes sense. Hum, you cant order enduro bearings on line from
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

a great company to know about...

Baller/Biker

creaking sounds when riding..

From my experience with these issues, i've found must sounds come when cranking so with that said I would focus on the bottom bracket. If your coasting and hear it then check the shock and pivots. Your bike is new so I dont think there is anything wrong with the shock or the pivots.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ventana1
    OHHHHH, the phillipines... should have looked before I sent the Question. Makes sense. Hum, you cant order enduro bearings on line from
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/

a great company to know about...
    I hear that the seals of the enduros are great and all .

Yeah I guess I could order some online, although the shipping and wait would be a hassle . I guess convenience wise and it would also be cheaper for me just to use Japanese or German bearings and change them every six months .

Thinking about creaking again .

I remember this certain type of creak coming from carbon shock reducers ( 2003- 04 Truths) rubbing against the rockers ( I usually had to loosen the bolt a bit , or put some lube ) , this type of creak also comes out in my Moment once in a while ( when the bolt is too tight or dirty ). I figured the proper way/ official solution to address this would involve a torque wrench and blue loctite , both of which are a chore to look for .

Can't Ells design a bearing on that part of the rocker ? or reducers with bearings ?
    I figured ( layman's guess) it would make the action a lot smoother .

mtbr member
    Thanks for the insight everyone, I’ll be checking out the recommendations this weekend when I return home. I’ll let you know how I make out.

Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

Time is not a road.
    I had a creaky rear Hope QR...dry and dusty here in NV. Changed it out, no more probs.

mtbr member

Loose Bolt?

I found this bolt (shock\frame) to be loose. I did a once over on the areas you all suggested, and everything else appears to be ok. When I tried to tighten this bolt I actually heard the squeak sound. I hope this will correct the issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Work Hard 2 Play Hard!!!

zeb
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would use new bolt and nylock nut