Not a Barry supporter.

Cracked Id chainstay update

Here's a link to the original post which is a little further down the page.

Well, another cracked chainstay!

I got a call from my Ells dealer yesterday saying the part was in and it was completely warrantied. No questions asked. They even stated it would take 10 business days and it only took 6. So I'm pretty happy with my warranty experience. However, I'm still going to sell the Id as I feel I can't trust it. Tremendous bike and gorgeous, but Ells needs to beef up his frames. There's no way I should have cracked a frame. I think that's what the Moment is suppose to correct though...right? It's supposedly beefed up and sturdier. Either way, I hate to see it go as it is a great riding bike and I LOVE the high BB. But I need a bike that's more laterally stiff in the rear and that I feel I can trust.

Anyway, good luck to anyone that's cracked a frame and is dealing with the warranty issue. Hopefully your's will go as smoothly as mine did.
    Last edited by Crash_FLMB; 12-09-2004 at 11:10 AM. Reason: misspelled word
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Mtb & Bassoon player
    [QUOTE=Crash_FLMB]

But I need a bike that's more laterally stiff in the rear and that I feel I can trust.

QUOTE]

I suggest you to try a Moment....
    .. amazing ride and very laterally stiff in the rear!

Ciao,
    pali

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not to start a war, if your looking for tough and stiff I would suggest trying a Ventana, Titus, or Turner. The Ventana Salts are uber tough, and super stiff. If you want 6" of travel and relativly light I can't say enough about the El Chamuco. You can pick one up cheaper than alot of Ellsworths. Read through the Ventana forum and look for stories of broken frames. You won't find many.
    Ciao,
    James

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Glad to hear you got treated well by CS. You may give the Moment a shot...it seems to be what you are looking for. The other brands suggested are always options as well; i.e. Titus, Turner, and Ventana. Personally I liked the feel of the ellsw rear suspension better than the feel of the Turner, but many may feel little or no difference. I haven't ridden a Titus or Ventana, so I have no idea how they feel. Another suggestion that people seem to really love, is the Santa Cruz Heckler...it may be overkill for what you want, but many people are happy with the bike. Good luck with your search!

FB

banned
    He's already decided upon a 5 Spot.

As someone who switched from a Truth (and Id) to a 5 spot, one of the first things that he'll notice is that the rear end is significantly stiffer.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete

As someone who switched from a Truth (and Id) to a 5 spot, one of the first things that he'll notice is that the rear end is significantly stiffer.

Actually I've decided on the Flux. I'm going lighter and less travel. I just got my Marathon SL today and she's a beaut. That'll go on the Sugar until I get the Flux. The Id, blue King h/s and Z1 FR are all going on eBay w/in the next week.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    Actually I've decided on the Flux. I'm going lighter and less travel. I just got my Marathon SL today and she's a beaut. That'll go on the Sugar until I get the Flux. The Id, blue King h/s and Z1 FR are all going on eBay w/in the next week.
    Good deal, I hope you like it. Most people seem to love their Turners so sounds like you made a good decision. Who did you end up ordering from and how long did they say it would be until you get it?

FB

rr
    I don't do PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    The Flux sure looks nice, I would buy that frame today if I could keep my FXR too, I always loved the ride of the Truth and the Flux sounds like it has the same ride but stronger with a standup company behind you. Enjoy!

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete

Nice font!
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be