mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Converting Nomad to Rogue (parts that is)

Sometime in the near future I am thinking about selling my Nomad Frame and putting everything on to a new Rogue. I was hoping to get some feedback from you guys on if this is even possible based on the parts that I have. One thing that might be important to know is that my Nomad is a 1 and 1/8th head tube not the newest 1 and 1/2 model. Here is what I have:

2008 Totem 1 1/8 solo air fork
    2007 Avid code brakes with 203 rotors
    2008 Synergy Xyclone wheel set (135mm rear spacing)
    2007 Mavic speedball remote seat post 31.8 size
    2006 X9 shifters and X0 Derailleur
    and a bunch of other stuff that is no concern to switching over

The bike right now has a 2007 Roco TSTR with a TI spring which I would sell with the frame.

If this possible or am I wasting my time even thinking about this.

MTB SOCAL
    The Rogue runs a 1 1/8 inch headtube, so your fork should work. I'm not sure about your wheels. The Rogue has a 12mm thruaxle 135mm spaced rear (at least mine does). The newer Rogues may be adaptable to QR rear - not sure. So, you may have to check your rear wheel spacing to see if it'll work. There are lots of wheelsets / hubs such as Hadley or even Azonic that can be converted from QR to 12mm thruaxle easily. Your seatpost may be too big for the Rogue - I think it runs 27.2. The rest of your parts - derailleurs, shifters, stem, handlebar, brakes, etc should all work fine. The Rogue is an amazing bike and it pedals really well for 8" of travel. Good luck.
    Kokopelli Racing

"Curb drops to flat, or curb drops to transition? There's a BIG difference there." Qfactor03

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Yeah its 135 X 10 with a quick release so I will have to see if I can convert my Xyclones. I really like this wheel set for all mountain/ light freeride so I donít think I would want to replace them with anything else.

I guess my Mavic seat post will have to go then which is very

Would you guys recommend going with a 7 inch travel or 8 inch travel model. I will also have my Mojo SL for those long Cross country rides so having long travel on the Rogue is not a real concern. I would only consider not getting the 8inch model if the pedal efficiency was significantly effected.

Got Rogued!
    For converting your axle, you just have to find some magnet sleeves coming from some cyclo-computers. Cut it and put it on the axle portion that protudes in the dropout (use it like a sleeve). You can even use your original quick-release!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ellsworth Moment / Ellsworth Rogue / Rocky Mountain Vertex / KHS SS

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by raceimp
    For converting your axle, you just have to find some magnet sleeves coming from some cyclo-computers. Cut it and put it on the axle portion that protudes in the dropout (use it like a sleeve). You can even use your original quick-release!
    Raceimp, thank you so much for that useful information. I will definitely be using that trick if and when I decide to cross over to the Ellside I am glad I joined the forum and I can see that there is a wealth of knowledge here. The more I read about this Rogue the more Crazed over it I am becoming. This Nomad frame may be gone sooner than later.

Iím still undecided about whether to get 7inch travel or 8 option. I do have a heavy duty freeride bike (Knolly V-tach, 46 pounds) so the idea of this build will be to be as light and a burly as possible. Let me know what you guys think.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    [Iím still undecided about whether to get 7inch travel or 8 option. I do have a heavy duty freeride bike (Knolly V-tach, 46 pounds) so the idea of this build will be to be as light and a burly as possible. Let me know what you guys think.[/QUOTE]

You are not thinking of getting rid of the V tach are you? The bike is amazing, albeit heavy, but so smoothe and well built; better than E for the burl factor for sure. In fact, if not for Foes the V tach would be my bike of choice, perhaps so considering it is a local Shore company (but the frames are made in the USA at the same place as Turner). Having ridden both the Rogue and V tach I would take the V tach hands down every time. True, the Rogue is lighter, but the assurance of strength you get with the V tach is something I could NOT overlook if I went to Whistler.

I am not sure I would use light and burly in the same sentence with the Rogue coming from a V tach. The V tach is much stiffer and tracks better, but at the cost of weight. A choice I suppose, but weight can be overcome with exercise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfly
    [I’m still undecided about whether to get 7inch travel or 8 option. I do have a heavy duty freeride bike (Knolly V-tach, 46 pounds) so the idea of this build will be to be as light and a burly as possible. Let me know what you guys think.
    I am sorry if I gave the wrong impression from what I wrote, but I would never sell my V-Tach to be replaced by the Rogue. The V-tach is here to stay for a long, long time. I only stated that I have a V-tach and a Mojo to provide readers a reference of where I would like the Rogue to slot in between. The V-tach is more used as chairlift freeride bike, and it does tend to get exhausting to haul around on anything more than a 7 mile trail ride. When I do light freeride in trails that I pedal in without a lift, I currently use my Nomad. The Rogue would be positioned to do what the Nomad now does for me. My current Nomad set up does tend to be light and burly at the same time (not at all burly on the level of the V-tach). I have taken her on a 20 mile ride and off a 12 foot drop in the same day so it is surprisingly versatile. The Rogue would be a little heavier than the current Nomad set up but it would also make me feel more secure on the light freeride I often do during my long trail rides. I hope this provides a better idea of what my plan would be with the Rogue. Sorry for the confusion.