Praise Bob

CK Steelset on Moment

Anyone installed a Christ King steelset on a Moment? I originally did because Ellsworth reccomends it if you have a 20mm axel fork (like Fox 36).

I wanted to know

1 - Is this really necessary?
    2- Once installed, how the heck do you get it back out?

I ask because even with a proper ream mine seems to have installed very tightly. I was thinking about removing it to install a regular CK in Blue Ano. Even with the park removal tool I am have a heck of a time. Even LBS wouldnt remove it. They said it was permenant.

Thoughts? Advice?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
    Anyone installed a Christ King steelset on a Moment? I originally did because Ellsworth reccomends it if you have a 20mm axel fork (like Fox 36).

I wanted to know

1 - Is this really necessary?
    2- Once installed, how the heck do you get it back out?

I ask because even with a proper ream mine seems to have installed very tightly. I was thinking about removing it to install a regular CK in Blue Ano. Even with the park removal tool I am have a heck of a time. Even LBS wouldnt remove it. They said it was permenant.

Thoughts? Advice?
    I have a regular CK on mine and haven't had any problems. I asked a respectable bike shop (that sells Ellsworths) in my area about this issue and they said it was not necessary and they never recommend it -- they said it was more of a CYA issue for Ellsworth. Also, I don't see it listed anymore on Ellsworth's website, although they recommend putting no more than a 150mm fork on a Moment.
    Last edited by LowLow; 04-01-2008 at 04:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLow
    they recommend putting no more than a 150mm fork on a Moment.
    They also say max fork length is <600mm, which covers pretty much every fork on the market. "Recommended" just means for the ride quality they originally designed it for in 2005 I have to say that I'm disappointed that they have not bothered to update the owners manual since 2005 and the website no longer even has the FAQ on it. Almost every Moment I have ever seen has had a fork with more than 150mm of travel. I've seen them with 140-180mm forks.

VooDoo user.
    Steelset=unnecesary

Good luck getting it out. I think they are pretty much permanent.

Carpe Noctem
    Dec 2005
    If you're looking for a headset to go with a big stiff fork like a 36 or totem the Race Face Diabolus meets what E says you need, I emailed them to confirm this before installing my 36.
    The Race Face isn't nearly as deep as the CK but it's still about twice as deep as the standard CK headset and should be a hell of a lot easier to get out.
    Off season? What off season?

Custom User Title
    CK steel set in = not coming out with out a fight. Sorry.

Problem is that the skirts are 24mm and the counter bore is 22mm. A cup remover cannot get a good grip on the skirt.

The RF skirt is 20mm.

I have been running a regular CK headset and a 36 for two years with no problems. Well except for a broken chain stay.

Now every one can come in a correct me about the lengths. Thanks in advance.
    Team MOJO Wheels.