mtbr member

Chainline Problem

Hello,

The chain line on my Truth is off by about 5mm. I can't us the 32 and 34 on my cassette with out the chain jumping off.
    I just bought the frame from a friend (he upgraded to more travel), so it is spected as

'03 Front Triangle
    '04 Chainstay
    '02 upper rear triangle
    New style D. hanger

RF SRX 108 mm BB
    RF XC Evolve Cranks
    XTR 11-34
    XTR RD
    XT FD

Anyone had this problem when using RF Evolve Cranks? I'm thinking I either have to get an adjustable BB or grind part of the metal off of the crank arm. Any suggestions? I talked to both RF and Ellsworth -- neither was able to provide much help. :-(

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CU-Murph
    Hello,

The chain line on my Truth is off by about 5mm. I can't us the 32 and 34 on my cassette with out the chain jumping off.
    I just bought the frame from a friend (he upgraded to more travel), so it is spected as

'03 Front Triangle
    '04 Chainstay
    '02 upper rear triangle
    New style D. hanger

RF SRX 108 mm BB
    RF XC Evolve Cranks
    XTR 11-34
    XTR RD
    XT FD

Anyone had this problem when using RF Evolve Cranks? I'm thinking I either have to get an adjustable BB or grind part of the metal off of the crank arm. Any suggestions? I talked to both RF and Ellsworth -- neither was able to provide much help. :-(

Thanks!

Shouldn't your BB have a 113 spindle? Thats what I have on my Truth - 73mm shell and a 113 spindle.

Rolling
    Quote Originally Posted by sumguy1
    Shouldn't your BB have a 113 spindle? Thats what I have on my Truth - 73mm shell and a 113 spindle.
    WOW, Yep your right, I would think the crank would hit the chainstay with his BB.

mtbr member
    Nope, the crank doesn't hit the chainstay with this BB. Actually there is about 10 mm gap b/t the two. RF says only a 108mm can be used with the Evolve crank. Ironically, the problem is the crank is too far away from the frame. Need to somehow get it in closer. Only idea so far is grind a little off the crank arm. I would like to avoid that if at all possible.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CU-Murph
    Nope, the crank doesn't hit the chainstay with this BB. Actually there is about 10 mm gap b/t the two. RF says only a 108mm can be used with the Evolve crank. Ironically, the problem is the crank is too far away from the frame. Need to somehow get it in closer. Only idea so far is grind a little off the crank arm. I would like to avoid that if at all possible.
    Ahh. I see.
    I would lose the fixed cup BB. I cannot imagine any other way unless you are good at grinding and have no fear of pushing hard on a reengineered interface.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by sumguy1
    Ahh. I see.
    I would lose the fixed cup BB. I cannot imagine any other way unless you are good at grinding and have no fear of pushing hard on a reengineered interface.
    yeah i was using a taperlock BB with an adjustable chainline and had mine set to about 47.5 to 48.0mm. Bought a cheapie SRX, i never measured it but i'd say the chainline was like 51mm with the SRX bb. Thought maybe i left the adapter ring for a 68mm shell on there but if it was on there its was welded on. Got a DeusX on there now and they claim its at 49mm, seems a bit more than that to me, i should measure it.