Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    103

    Carbon Evolution

    I don't think it's well known yet that Ellsworth can do a 5" travel configuration of the Carbon frame. Here are a couple pics of one I received.


    Best Source for Ellsworth Devinci and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    773
    Only 100 and 120mm are advertised. They would seem to use the two standard shock sizes of 51mm and 57mm strokes. How are you achieving the extra 7mm of travel?

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    773
    And isn't it called the carbon evolve not evolution ?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk View Post
    Only 100 and 120mm are advertised. They would seem to use the two standard shock sizes of 51mm and 57mm strokes. How are you achieving the extra 7mm of travel?
    Generally when speaking on travel lengths we round to the nearest inch...
    Best Source for Ellsworth Devinci and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

  5. #5
    ride more
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,672
    Such a bad ass frame...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velorangutan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    103
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk View Post
    And isn't it called the carbon evolve not evolution ?
    You are correct. The label on the frame is Evolve. However, to get a quick picture of what it is I called it a carbon Evolution. A 5", err I mean 120mm, carbon 29er bike.
    Best Source for Ellsworth Devinci and Ventana!
    Velorangutan... the pedal type.
    Motorangutan... the motorized type.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    773
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkGorillaCycles View Post
    Generally when speaking on travel lengths we round to the nearest inch...
    No actually "we" don't. And nor do 99% of manufacturers.

    Mountain biking is an industry plagued with a myriad of "standards" do you call a headset 1 inch when it's 1 1/8th? Or 1.5? Accuracy is essential.

    Travel is used to define the intended purpose of a bike. Where do you stop ? 5.5 inches ? 5.9 inches ? If your willing to call 4.73 inches 5 inches, are you equally happy to call 5.5 or even 6. 2 inches 5 inches? a bike with 160mm travel is designed for a very different purpose than one of 120mm as is a bike of 140mm.

    Ellsworth have always been guilty of this, the rogue for example was quoted as 6,7,8 inches. Ratios which are just not possible.

    We are not stupid. We don't want or need generalisation from ellsworth or their representatives. What we want is honesty and accuracy.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Nsynk View Post
    No actually "we" don't. And nor do 99% of manufacturers.

    Mountain biking is an industry plagued with a myriad of "standards" do you call a headset 1 inch when it's 1 1/8th? Or 1.5? Accuracy is essential.

    Travel is used to define the intended purpose of a bike. Where do you stop ? 5.5 inches ? 5.9 inches ? If your willing to call 4.73 inches 5 inches, are you equally happy to call 5.5 or even 6. 2 inches 5 inches? a bike with 160mm travel is designed for a very different purpose than one of 120mm as is a bike of 140mm.

    Ellsworth have always been guilty of this, the rogue for example was quoted as 6,7,8 inches. Ratios which are just not possible.

    We are not stupid. We don't want or need generalisation from ellsworth or their representatives. What we want is honesty and accuracy.
    Dude, I think you forgot to take your pills today

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    10
    Really is beautiful! Tell us how it goes running the cables. Are you going to run the housing through the frame or use stops?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wabiker3576's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    88
    You have to run them through the frame, there are no stops built in . I just did mine and it was a pita , now I have 2 Enlightenments to do, luckly one is going to be a SS , so I only have to run brake housing on itCarbon Evolution-img_2773.jpg
    Last edited by wabiker3576; 02-09-2013 at 12:41 AM.
    2013 Ellsworth Carbon Evolve XT
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment XTR
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment SS

    Bike Shop Employee

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    10
    How much does it weigh assembled?

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wabiker3576's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    88
    Currently 25lbs , but I'm waiting for a few different parts, but would like to go 1X11 later this spring
    2013 Ellsworth Carbon Evolve XT
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment XTR
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment SS

    Bike Shop Employee

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by wabiker3576 View Post
    Currently 25lbs , but I'm waiting for a few different parts, but would like to go 1X11 later this spring
    tell me more. How is it built out and how do you like the ride?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wabiker3576's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by nkingdon View Post
    tell me more. How is it built out and how do you like the ride?
    Built it up with XT and Loaded headset,stem,bars ,post and X-lite wheelset. Rides great ,I've only had a chance to do a 9 mile loop on it before the weather to a ****, can't wait for better weather so I can put alot of miles on it. I'm running it a 100mm , but I might swap out the shocks from my Evolution later this year
    2013 Ellsworth Carbon Evolve XT
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment XTR
    2013 Ellsworth Enlightment SS

    Bike Shop Employee

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    129
    Anyone else have any ride reports on the carbon evolve? I really like the Ellsworth suspension and want to know how this rides different from the al evolve?

    Thanks

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    27
    the biggest diference is the rear stiffnes. The 142 mm plus the revamped chain stay is what gives a lot of rear end. The new chain stay is almost 200 grs more and both are aluminum. The carbon head tube is 5 inch vs the 4 on the Al SST2. I have not tried the new al frame wich is hidroformed vs the old SST2 cold worked. Also the CTD shock vs the RP23.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    10
    nice

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    158
    So how did you get one with the EW seat post clamp. Mine came with the cheesy black clamp. They told me they had not made the EW clamps for the 30.9 seat tubes yet.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    129
    I just rode the Carbon Evolve at a Demo in moab last weekend. AMAZING bike. Felt like it had more travel than the 100mm it comes with. Pedals extreemly easy and steers super fast.

    Ellsworth suspension is very unique - if you have not ridden one yet try it out. Super plush but firm when pedaling. I personaly love it.

    LOVED IT.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    19
    It also comes with 120mm option... At time of ordering you can choose between 100mm or 120mm.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    28
    Is the Evolve a bike you can standup and pedal hard without any bobbing? I have a Giant Anthem X 29er which has no bobbing but I really like the looks of the carbon Evolve.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    122
    It is gonna bob somewhat, but it seems more firm than previous Evolves that I have ridden.

    It is tough to compare the bobbing of a Horst link and the shorter link suspension systems that are so prevalent today. I mean the EPIC has to have a brain to keep it's Horst suspension from bobbing and this is just a side effect of Horst.

    But having said that, I still love the feeling that this bike provides over chatter and chunk. This comes with no penalty of pedal feedback like you can get with VPP and small front chainrings.

    It doesn't just wallow in it's travel when you decide to hammer it. It is active though and gives great traction because of that fact. Is this bike fast?? You better believe it.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: xl_cheese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    508
    The ict design pedals extremely well. It doesn't have any pedal feedback or pedal induced bob. However, standing out of the saddle will cause the bike to bounce with your body weight. It won't stiffen up. You can counter this with the CTD shock settings.

    If you want something that tends to stiffen while pedaling look at the Devinci bikes.

    I tend to be lazy and ride seated a lot so the ICT design is a great complement to that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy777 View Post
    Is the Evolve a bike you can standup and pedal hard without any bobbing? I have a Giant Anthem X 29er which has no bobbing but I really like the looks of the carbon Evolve.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    290
    the 100mm or 120mm rear travel choice is also available on the sst2 (aluminum) Evolve.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •