mtbr member
    Oct 2006

bunnyhopping the Epi....

I've been meaning to make this post since i first got my Epi in September.

There's one aspect about this bike that i just cannot seem to get a handle on....bunnyhopping. Generally i'm pretty good at it, I used to do a lot of trials, so i'm fine on my hardtail and bunnyhoping my Stinky is plain easy...you just preload the suspension and it flings you into the air.

But try as i might, when it comes to trail obstacles, i am an abject failure at bunnyhopping on the Epi. I have experimented with different shock settings (pressure, motion control vs .fully open...my shock is the RS MC 3.3). And nothing seems to help. I am beginning to feel that i just suck.

Anybody else experiencing this problem?

Thumbies

over 50 years of cycling

Cool-blue Rhythm Epi gives wings

I found quite the opposite effect. I suddenly got a lot BETTER at bunny hopping with the Epi. Maybe its my el cheapo Fox Float R shock that makes it easier?
    I noticed that the Epi gave me wings on both the one I test rode and the one I ended up getting. I think the one I test rode had your shock on it.

Maybe mess with the damping? Maybe it is overly damping and holding you down? How tall is the fork set up? Maybe running it at one end of the height or the other is causing you geometry issues? Or once again, play with the fork damping.
    These are just wild guesses on my part.

I was riding a Specialized Epic before and that felt like dead weight, even though much to my suprise my Epiphany weighs half a pound MORE.

Maybe you need to drink a can of Red Bull before riding?
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

hmmm....

I usually run the shock in the 'open' position meaning that there is no (well minimal)compression damping. As such, it is pretty much acting the same as the Float. My fork is currently an 02 Vanilla RL, set at 125 mm, so right in the middle of recommended travel.

I guess i just suck. Good thing that in most situations, there is no longer a need to bunnyhop over obstacles...the bike just floats over anything smaller than bashguard territory.

thumbies

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    How is your stem/top tube length? If the stem is really long it makes it difficult to lift the front end up. Ellworths tend to be long in the top tube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

stem

Quote Originally Posted by ahimanic
    How is your stem/top tube length? If the stem is really long it makes it difficult to lift the front end up. Ellworths tend to be long in the top tube.
    stem is 100 mm but soon to be 90. Its not the front end thats the problem, its the back.

thumbies

over 50 years of cycling

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by thumbies
    stem is 100 mm but soon to be 90. Its not the front end thats the problem, its the back.

thumbies
    Just curious.... Are you using flats or clipping in for pedals?
    I never have gotten the hang of flats, and so I clip in, which could definitely give a different comparison for vertical take off if you are using flats.
    Live in the moment.
    YMMV

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

pedals

Clipless, but i can bunnyhop OK with flats too (from trials).

Since im onthe subject again, i think i really have 2 bunnyhopping styles: dynamic and static. Dynamic is when i am approaching an obstacle at some speed, lift the front end up like a manual and then push down, lifting the back end up. The other style i use a lot on technical climbs where i may break traction (like on a wet root) and just stop, balance and hop up the hill (and maybe turn across the hill a bit) until i can get going again without dabbing.

Frankly, I havent use the second style very much on the Epi since it climbs so darn well, i just seem to clean everything.

However, i am having problems hopping with both styles come to think of it.

Darn ICT, chain torque line, Horst Link bla bla bla.... it works so well in making traction that i opposes any forces that would cause any loss of traction.....(just my conspiracy theory)

Thumbies